The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

Scandinavian Studies

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Heimdallr33
No worries, good luck with your preparation and arrival! See you in September :h:

Oh, by the way, have you found that the people you hang out with most are the people on your course OR people that you live with/or others?
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Reply 2501
Original post by xleoanimusx
Oh, by the way, have you found that the people you hang out with most are the people on your course OR people that you live with/or others?

When I was there it was both the people form the course and the ones form the halls
Original post by klika89
When I was there it was both the people form the course and the ones form the halls

Cheers. Are you a scandi studies graduate?

A bit of both but I get along a lot better with people from the course :smile:
A bit of both but I get along a lot better with people from the course :smile:

Awesome. I'm guessing you guys have a lot of work on right now? Haha. Tbf as a mature student (22 in June) I'll probably get on with the 2nd and 3rd years fairly well, so hopefully I'll get to mix with all of you. I just can't wait to starttttttttt
Awesome. I'm guessing you guys have a lot of work on right now? Haha. Tbf as a mature student (22 in June) I'll probably get on with the 2nd and 3rd years fairly well, so hopefully I'll get to mix with all of you. I just can't wait to starttttttttt

We do but I'm finding it so hard to get into the right mind-set and write the darn essays/do some revision! hahah 22 isn't really a lot, don't worry! Two people from this year are 28 year olds and I think we get along pretty well! I'm going to be 21 next year and it's been absolutely fine for me (not that there is much of an age gap in my case, but still!):smile: Glad to hear you're excited, I was the same last year! :P
We do but I'm finding it so hard to get into the right mind-set and write the darn essays/do some revision! hahah 22 isn't really a lot, don't worry! Two people from this year are 28 year olds and I think we get along pretty well! I'm going to be 21 next year and it's been absolutely fine for me (not that there is much of an age gap in my case, but still!):smile: Glad to hear you're excited, I was the same last year! :P

Are you enjoying the work though? Is it what you expected? Its a shame there aren't any other prospective students starting this year in this thread
Are you enjoying the work though? Is it what you expected? Its a shame there aren't any other prospective students starting this year in this thread

I am enjoying it and it is roughly what I expected. I find essay writing a bit annoying though (the majority of your first year modules are assessed only by essays) just because I never really wrote any at high school in Italy. The only thing that bothers me a bit is living in London, but that is down to my personal experience (having been brought up in a tiny village, never away from my family and friends, etc.) - I don't mean to scare you, London is an amazing place to be in for a student with all the free museums, huge libraries et all :smile:
I am enjoying it and it is roughly what I expected. I find essay writing a bit annoying though (the majority of your first year modules are assessed only by essays) just because I never really wrote any at high school in Italy. The only thing that bothers me a bit is living in London, but that is down to my personal experience (having been brought up in a tiny village, never away from my family and friends, etc.) - I don't mean to scare you, London is an amazing place to be for a student with all the free museums, huge libraries et all :smile:

No I honestly can't wait to move there. What have you disliked about it?
I am enjoying it and it is roughly what I expected. I find essay writing a bit annoying though (the majority of your first year modules are assessed only by essays) just because I never really wrote any at high school in Italy. The only thing that bothers me a bit is living in London, but that is down to my personal experience (having been brought up in a tiny village, never away from my family and friends, etc.) - I don't mean to scare you, London is an amazing place to be in for a student with all the free museums, huge libraries et all :smile:

What's your name btw :biggrin: (So I know who you are if we meet in September). I'm George.
No I honestly can't wait to move there. What have you disliked about it?

Well it's a looong story which I cut short to what I said above xD Basically I don't like the area I'm living in (Nutford House - Marylebone) and I am really looking forward to living with a friend from Uni somewhere else, hopefully nicer! Also some people I met at my halls have been not so great, the "friendship" with my room mate has been a roller-coaster, I miss Italian food and the cantine is rubbish. Last but least, as a girl I have to always be aware of what's going on whenever and wherever I go, which has led me to avoid going out at night as much as possible because I just hate the drinking/clubbing culture there :sigh:
What's your name btw :biggrin: (So I know who you are if we meet in September). I'm George.

Francesca, pleased to meet you (on here, for now haha)! I'm one of the two admins of the Scandi Studies group on facebook which you've joined fairly recently :h:
Well it's a looong story which I cut short to what I said above xD Basically I don't like the area I'm living in (Nutford House - Marylebone) and I am really looking forward to living with a friend from Uni somewhere else, hopefully nicer! Also some people I met at my halls have been not so great, the "friendship" with my room mate has been a roller-coaster, I miss Italian food and the cantine is rubbish. Last but least, as a girl I have to always be aware of what's going on whenever and wherever I go, which has led me to avoid going out at night as much as possible because I just hate the drinking/clubbing culture there :sigh:

I guess it is hard coming to a new country with a different culture. Italy is a beautiful place with fantastic food, England really can't compare. But yeah, I'm really looking forward to moving down there because I hate where I live now. You shouldn't be worried about going out, that sucks
Francesca, pleased to meet you (on here, for now haha)! I'm one of the two admins of the Scandi Studies group on facebook which you've joined fairly recently :h:

I left the group because I thought I wasn't good enough to get in UCL....turns out I was wrong haha, I shall rejoin. By the way, if you ever want a free bodyguard to go out with in London I'm a pretty big bloke, I shall provide protection in exchange for Jägerbombs hahaha who needs a part time job...you shouldn't feel unsafe going out at uni. That sounds like the worst.
I guess it is hard coming to a new country with a different culture. Italy is a beautiful place with fantastic food, England really can't compare. But yeah, I'm really looking forward to moving down there because I hate where I live now. You shouldn't be worried about going out, that sucks

Thing is I'm half Italian half British (my Mum is from Aberdeen), but London feels like a completely different country within the UK to me and I guess the variety and, perhaps, lack of a definite culture is something I miss :\ I certainly feel a lot better when I visit my Aunt who lives in Preston - there I feel like I'm really at home, London is just too much for me :frown:
I left the group because I thought I wasn't good enough to get in UCL....turns out I was wrong haha, I shall rejoin. By the way, if you ever want a free bodyguard to go out with in London I'm a pretty big bloke, I shall provide protection in exchange for Jägerbombs hahaha who needs a part time job...you shouldn't feel unsafe going out at uni. That sounds like the worst.

Aww that is very sweet of you! hahaha :smile: I know, it has sucked but to be honest it's just the unfortunate combination of two things - living far-ish from people from my course who I'd love to go out with and the focus on drinking/getting drunk/dancing (which I'm not a fan of) of the people at my halls :\ I like quiet and relaxed evenings, they're also a lot cheaper in London hahaha (and I'm on a tight budget too, so yeah, lots of things added together which have spoiled my experience a bit :P) It should get a lot better next year though :smile:

Oh and if you resend a request to join I'll accept it right away! :smile:
Aww that is very sweet of you! hahaha :smile: I know, it has sucked but to be honest it's just the unfortunate combination of two things - living far-ish from people from my course who I'd love to go out with and the focus on drinking/getting drunk/dancing (which I'm not a fan of) of the people at my halls :\ I like quiet and relaxed evenings, they're also a lot cheaper in London hahaha (and I'm on a tight budget too, so yeah, lots of things added together which have spoiled my experience a bit :P) It should get a lot better next year though :smile:

Oh and if you resend a request to join I'll accept it right away! :smile:

Yeah I prefer a quiet night. I like to drink but I'd rather sit and talk and have a laugh than dance or whatever. I do enjoy the odd night out though :biggrin: You shouldn't feel like that though :/ I will make an effort to make you feel at home if we ever hang out when I arrive! I'm gonna be super nervous moving to London and not knowing anyone...it's so huge compared to where I live. I live in a mostly white area, with little cultural variety and I know the town like the back of my hand so it's gonna be an odd experience when I move. I'm counting on you guys to welcome me haha
Yeah I prefer a quiet night. I like to drink but I'd rather sit and talk and have a laugh than dance or whatever. I do enjoy the odd night out though :biggrin: You shouldn't feel like that though :/ I will make an effort to make you feel at home if we ever hang out when I arrive! I'm gonna be super nervous moving to London and not knowing anyone...it's so huge compared to where I live. I live in a mostly white area, with little cultural variety and I know the town like the back of my hand so it's gonna be an odd experience when I move. I'm counting on you guys to welcome me haha

Yeah same here! I would love a night out but with people I know well enough and that I trust not to get completely pissed - can't be a babysitter in London now, can I? :P I'd love to hang out sometime! We'll make sure you feel at home as much as we can, it shouldn't be you trying to do that with me, don't worry hahah :wink:
Yeah same here! I would love a night out but with people I know well enough and that I trust not to get completely pissed - can't be a babysitter in London now, can I? :P I'd love to hang out sometime! We'll make sure you feel at home as much as we can, it shouldn't be you trying to do that with me, don't worry hahah :wink:

Haha thanks. I'm quite mature, it's not like I'm fresh out of school, so I'm happy to help :biggrin: but yeah I know what you mean, I usually get drunk quite easily so it's important I'm with reliable people. I'm also quite odd and have unique interests, hence choosing this degree, it will be ncie to be around like-minded people. Also, I'm quite obsessed with Italy so I think we will get along well. Do you know Vernazza? (Think I spelt that correctly)...it's my favourite place in the world <3
Reply 2519
Cheers. Are you a scandi studies graduate?

indeed, I have started this thread before my UCL interview years ago. Scandi Studies is very specific when it comes to age rang from 17 to 70 almost each year, but definitely worth it!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending