Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Scandinavian Studies

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I've applied for poltics+scandinavian studies at Edinburgh
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    mee too
    • 25 followers

ReputationRep:
    UCL is better... :ninja:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    you haven't heard anything have you?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clarix)
    you haven't heard anything have you?
    form Edinburgh...no, not yet
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hylean)
    UCL is better... :ninja:
    better ranking or what?
    • 25 followers

ReputationRep:
    better ranking or what?
    Better cause it teaches Icelandic.

Aside from my personal bias, it has a better library, more links with Scandinavia, more Scandinavians in the city itself, etc.

UCL's one down side is that many of the Unis that it has an erasmus agreement with aren't fully keen on it because it has a requirement that the scand. exchange students spent half their units in the scand. dept. Sort of structures them a bit too much, but the reasoning behind it is so us students actually have some Scandies around to talk with and improve our language with.

But yeah, it's also better ranking. That said, Edinburgh is a fine uni in its own right.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    and does UCL has anu other down sides practicaly?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yeah well, but Edinburgh rocks! London is just way too big so even if the city is full of Scandies it's not like you're bumping into them all the time.
    • 25 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yeah well, but Edinburgh rocks! London is just way too big so even if the city is full of Scandies it's not like you're bumping into them all the time.
    You are if you go to the Embassy parties the dept. gets invited to or the Swedish quarter, etc. :p:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yes, where is the Swedish quarter? Sounds creepy.
    • 25 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yes, where is the Swedish quarter? Sounds creepy.
    Near Baker Street. Swedish church, pub, shops, etc.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hylean)
    Near Baker Street. Swedish church, pub, shops, etc.
    good to know
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    You're doing a great job of boosting UCL and the SS Dept Hylean...keep it up!!
    • 25 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by klika89)
    and does UCL has anu other down sides practicaly?
    It's in London, always a factor. Expensive but if you get a student loan, it's okay.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    heya fellow scandinavian, well dane here hehe .
    the swedish pub havencourt arms it great
    this weekend there be the first round of European songcontest qualification for sweden. should be great fun to see
    and the swedish shop.. well im going there for myfirst time on satuday coz other times ive passed by it's been closed, but this time i will b early :P

also there is a danish YMCA and a church that organises different events and guest speakers. saw a danish politican there two or three weeks ago.

i do part of my module in the Scandinavian Department, ICelandic, otherwise my degree is Geography.
    But we had a cool trip to the Icelandic Ambassador's Residecne, and all the free drinks we wanted hehe
    and i love it, i help the people in my icelandic class with their danish homework. it's like being in first grade again
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    There's a really good cafeteria near Broadcasting House (originally entitled Scandinavian Kitchen) that I can recommend. Good for lunch. They also have a good selection of groceries, even including diary products - so you can stock up on fil. Friendly staff too and a selection of Scandinavian newspapers. Last time I was there, I would estimate that 2/3 of my fellow lunch-eaters were Scandinavian ex-pats.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Anyone who's doing Scand studies at Edinburgh and can tell me a bit about it? Could be interesting
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Anyone who's doing Scand studies at Edinburgh and can tell me a bit about it? Could be interesting
    Don't think there's anyone on here doing SS at Edinburgh Either that or they've been hiding!
    Just Hylean doing a bit (read:lot) of shameless UCL promotion!

Anyway, hopefully someone will prove me wrong, would be nice to hear more about SS at Edinburgh; there's not that much on their website...

C-
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Oh, that's a shame! Haha, he does indeed. Yes, there is very little information on the website actually

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 21, 2014
New on TSR
Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.