The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

Scandinavian Studies

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1880
Original post by Hylean
Unless things have changed, I'd be surprised if they got a different teacher in 2nd year in Swedish. But then again, maybe Annika is a lot busier these days.

Annika didn't teach 1st year Swedish this year but she does teach 2nd year (I think). I'm not sure if that's always the norm.

Yes Norwegian! So you do Danish? I got the impression Danish was the most unpopular of the three, is there much banter in the department between different language students? As for the age thing... the trouble is I don't have any life experience, I will be older but I won't have any nuggets of wisdom to compensate for it. All it will do is make me really boring in comparison. I like quiet nights in watching Holby City, I can't imagine that going down too well with UCL students

Yes I do Danish :smile: just about to start 2nd year. There's plenty of banter between the 3 groups and we all get on really well! You're right about Danish being the least popular, there were only 3 of us from SELCS doing it this year.

I think because SELCS is so small its much easier to fit in and make closer friendships. Because there's only 10-15 in the group you all kinda stick together. And besides you can always lie and say you have life experience :P
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
As far as I'm aware John Mitchinson is taking the first year Swedish classes and Annika is taking second and final year. Not quite sure why they changed that though :confused:
Original post by EMC1989
Yes I do Danish :smile: just about to start 2nd year. There's plenty of banter between the 3 groups and we all get on really well! You're right about Danish being the least popular, there were only 3 of us from SELCS doing it this year.

I think because SELCS is so small its much easier to fit in and make closer friendships. Because there's only 10-15 in the group you all kinda stick together. And besides you can always lie and say you have life experience :P

Aw that sounds really nice!!! :biggrin: I was wondering how do you find studying full time with a baby? Are the people in the dept supportive?

I just had a horrible conversation with the Edinburgh admissions lady. Apparently a CertHE isn't good enough for them (drat, I just started doing one!) and an access course will only be acceptable if I have an A2 in a language, a mere AS isn't good enough apparently. She also said there are only three places per year for Scandinavian Studies - that just can't be true! Thank god UCL are more open to people with non-traditional qualifications.
Reply 1883
Original post by Samual
Aw that sounds really nice!!! :biggrin: I was wondering how do you find studying full time with a baby? Are the people in the dept supportive?

I just had a horrible conversation with the Edinburgh admissions lady. Apparently a CertHE isn't good enough for them (drat, I just started doing one!) and an access course will only be acceptable if I have an A2 in a language, a mere AS isn't good enough apparently. She also said there are only three places per year for Scandinavian Studies - that just can't be true! Thank god UCL are more open to people with non-traditional qualifications.

When I went for the open day at Edinburgh they said didn't accept Film Studies at A Level which I did and I was so pissed! But they back tracked on this and I did get an offer from them but chose UCL. Do you think you'll go to Edinburgh if you get an offer?

Studying with a kid is hard. But he is at a child minder during lectures and I don't do any uni work until he is in bed so I get to spend as much time as I can with him. The hardest bit is the social side because I can't go out when I want and I can't live with other students so it's pretty lonely. But I'm doing all of this so he can have a better future, so it's worth it.
Original post by EMC1989
When I went for the open day at Edinburgh they said didn't accept Film Studies at A Level which I did and I was so pissed! But they back tracked on this and I did get an offer from them but chose UCL. Do you think you'll go to Edinburgh if you get an offer?

Studying with a kid is hard. But he is at a child minder during lectures and I don't do any uni work until he is in bed so I get to spend as much time as I can with him. The hardest bit is the social side because I can't go out when I want and I can't live with other students so it's pretty lonely. But I'm doing all of this so he can have a better future, so it's worth it.

I wonder if it was an Edinburgh student who negged me? :aetsch:

If Edinburgh gave me an offer I probably wouldn't go. The only reason I'm considering applying is because I really do not want to live in London, but UCL's course is so much more tuned to my interests. I suppose it doesn't really matter if I want to go or not, I'm not going to get in... if they can reject barefootfiona then they will certainly reject me. I just wish Edinburgh's Norwegian lecturer was at UCL, when I spoke to him he was so friendly and helpful.

Yes, definitely worth it! I'm sure he will be grateful you did it in the future. Are you taking him on your year abroad? Awh I bet it can be quite lonely, maybe a friend can take him for an evening now and then and you could go out?
Reply 1885
Original post by Samual
Awh that's sad, I hope it changes. How they just justify not having an Ibsen expert in a Scandinavian department is beyond me.

Easily. The same way they can justify running a Viking Studies programme without a runologist (despite advertising a runology course): lack of funds.

Original post by EMC1989
Annika didn't teach 1st year Swedish this year but she does teach 2nd year (I think). I'm not sure if that's always the norm.

Didn't used to be. Annika taught all the classes when I was around, if I remember rightly.

Original post by SleepingTheClockAround
As far as I'm aware John Mitchinson is taking the first year Swedish classes and Annika is taking second and final year. Not quite sure why they changed that though :confused:

Gives them a reason to keep John around and I believe Annika is studying for a postgrad degree, though I can't remember which level.
Reply 1886
Original post by Samual
Yes, definitely worth it! I'm sure he will be grateful you did it in the future. Are you taking him on your year abroad? Awh I bet it can be quite lonely, maybe a friend can take him for an evening now and then and you could go out?

I've a friend in Brighton who comes up occasionally to babysit so it's not too bad :smile: plus like I say the group is so small it's not so hard to organise a night out when i do have a babysitter! And yep he'll be coming to Denmark with me and go into kindergarten. Not many 2 year olds have a year abroad but i'm sure he'll have a blast and come back speaking better Danish than me!

I was scared to live in London too, I'm originally from the north and it's so different from London. But you get used to it and I feel totally at home in London now. What is it that makes you not want to live there?
Original post by EMC1989
I was scared to live in London too, I'm originally from the north and it's so different from London. But you get used to it and I feel totally at home in London now. What is it that makes you not want to live there?

I'm someone who does not like crowds of people, and I especially hate lots of noise - central London is my idea of hell. If I do go to UCL I think I will be taking sanctuary in London's parks quite often. :tongue:
And just like that, I'm once again not a student. I wonder what the future holds.
Reply 1889
Original post by nearlyheadlessian
And just like that, I'm once again not a student. I wonder what the future holds.

PhD time, me thinks. How did the Masters go?
Original post by Hylean
PhD time, me thinks. How did the Masters go?

Mixed reviews. My two lowest marks were in the two core-courses of the degree :tongue: But in terms of developing my CV (at least as a translator and/or Scandinavian Studies scholar) and networking, very worthwhile. If my dissertation has gone well it should be a *cough* distinction *cough* but I don't want to tempt fate. I agree, been mulling PhDs a lot lately. Need to get my ideas together and find the funding...
Reply 1891
Hi everyone - I do not want to study SS at uni but am still hughely interested in the Nordic region. I am thinking about a possible Gap Year in Sweden, and I was wondering if you could give your opinions about a possible programme? I am thinking about doing the Academic year folkuniversitetet course in Lund - it says it goes from A1 to C1 in that year. Does anyone have any experience with these courses and do you actually learn that much Swedish whilst living there for a year?

It costs quite a bit though - 48000 SEK. Thats roughly 4.5k I think. That seems reasonable, but I hear living costs are very high in Sweden- roughly 800 euros a month in Lund. Do you think it would a good idea to simply try and get a job over there and pay the rent each month from that?

Thanks for any information guys :smile:
Hey,
I have a huge interest in Scandinavia and the SS major at UCL looks awesome. That said, I have one worry and I was wondering if any of you could help me with it. What are the possible job prospects after getting the degree? I'm an American, if that matters.
Thanks!
Original post by Message
Hi everyone - I do not want to study SS at uni but am still hughely interested in the Nordic region. I am thinking about a possible Gap Year in Sweden, and I was wondering if you could give your opinions about a possible programme? I am thinking about doing the Academic year folkuniversitetet course in Lund - it says it goes from A1 to C1 in that year. Does anyone have any experience with these courses and do you actually learn that much Swedish whilst living there for a year?

It costs quite a bit though - 48000 SEK. Thats roughly 4.5k I think. That seems reasonable, but I hear living costs are very high in Sweden- roughly 800 euros a month in Lund. Do you think it would a good idea to simply try and get a job over there and pay the rent each month from that?

Thanks for any information guys :smile:

My only experience with Folkuniversitetet wasn't a very good one. I was meant to take a couple of courses by them in Lund last summer before I started my year abroad and they cancelled them both at very short notice. I'm not sure about the standard of the courses but they will just cancel them if they don't have enough people taking the course. Lund however is a very beautiful wee town so if it works out well with the course then I'm sure you will love living there :-) As for rent, I think you can expect to pay anywhere between 2,000 and 3,000kr per month depending on the size of your flat. When I lived in Umeå they told us to expect to spend at least 7,000kr a month and given Lund's location I think €800 a month is an accurate estimate.
Does the year abroad have to be spent at a university? Other language students can do work placements if they arrange it themselves, is that option also open to students of Scandinavian Studies?
Original post by Samual
Does the year abroad have to be spent at a university? Other language students can do work placements if they arrange it themselves, is that option also open to students of Scandinavian Studies?

All of the Scandinavian languages require you to do an Erasmus year. Erasmus was amazing though, well recommended :smile:
Original post by SleepingTheClockAround
All of the Scandinavian languages require you to do an Erasmus year. Erasmus was amazing though, well recommended :smile:

So you can't be a British Council teaching assistant in Scandinavia? :frown:
Reply 1897
Original post by Samual
So you can't be a British Council teaching assistant in Scandinavia? :frown:

No, you have to attend university. You even have a minimum amount of credits you need to get whilst there.
Original post by Hylean
No, you have to attend university. You even have a minimum amount of credits you need to get whilst there.

Oh... right. Do you find you can mix with natives well? I got the impression that Scandinavia was where all the Erasmus non-language students end up going because a lot of the courses are in English, so there are a lot of Anglophones around. I don't fancy the idea of living in international halls and only hanging out with other exchange students.
Original post by Samual
Oh... right. Do you find you can mix with natives well? I got the impression that Scandinavia was where all the Erasmus non-language students end up going because a lot of the courses are in English, so there are a lot of Anglophones around. I don't fancy the idea of living in international halls and only hanging out with other exchange students.

I just spent my year abroad in Umeå and it was a really good mix. I was living in a corridor of 9 people of which 4 were international and 5 were Swedish and in many other corridors there were even less internationals. You also have to take courses taught in the language you're studying so I met Swedish people that way too. Umeå also had this 'buddy programme' thing with the international students, in which we were put into groups and had maybe 5 to 6 Swedish buddies per group. So although I mostly hung out with exchange students, there are lots of opportunities to befriend natives :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending