The Student Room Group

From A to B

I've just read the TSR advice on what to take to uni, and it seems a bit far-fetched for me to take even half of that gear! Only because i have no way of getting a lift down there, so i have to go on a train from Middlesbrough > Manchester. I mean, all my clothes, bedsheets, gadgets etc. I don't want to be raking up loads of seats just for my baggage.

how did the rest of you do it if you had to travel across the country on a train?
Just take the bare necessities, and buy the rest when you get there.
Reply 2
wudnt it cost loads?
i am dreading having to get my student loans and spend em. plus, i dont think ill have alot if any money when i get there :frown:
i'd say take just what you need and then pick up one or two extra things anytime you go home or anyone comes up to visit.
when i first went i took my laptop, towels and hairbrush in one bag. then took as many clothes as i could fit in my backpack and wore a tonne of clothes - i was hot but it saved me taking another bag lol
take the bare essentials, like bed sheets and towels and some stationery. perhaps a plate and a pan with some forks and spoons. cut down on clothes.

and then check if its cheaper to buy them when you get there or to go back up and pick up the rest of it later.
Doesn't your uni accommodation provide bedding?

You can leave non-essential gadgets and bits and bobs at home. Just bring clothes for a week or two, toiletries etc. Food you can buy at the local supermarket - just bring enough money to last you the week and you should be OK.

Loads of freshers go home after the first week, so you can always bring more with you the next time.

When I first moved in, I had 1 medium suitcase, 1 laptop bag and 1 large sports bag. That was enough for my clothes, kitchen stuff (pots, pans etc), some food and toiletries.

You can manage that can't you? :biggrin:
I had the same problem when I moved to America for my third year. I had one massive suitcase in which I packed clothes, make-up and shoes. I shoved all of my electrical items in my laptop bag which I carried as hand luggage.

Stuff you can buy when you get there:

- bedding. It's cheap enough, especially if there's an Ikea near the university. Supermarket bedding is also cheap.
- towels. Ikea/supermarket.
- bathroom/shower stuff. Don't take up extra room with stuff like bottles of shampoo and shower gel. Again, supermarket.
- room decorations. You'll have plenty of chances to buy posters during freshers week.
- work stuff. You can pick up paper/pens/highlighters/files etc when you get there from the SUPERMARKET.

Therefore, just plan a massive supermarket trip when you get there!
1. Be female.
2. Take too much stuff on the train.
3. Flutter eyelashes at fellow passengers who are male. They will help.
4. ...
5. Profit.

'Tis what a friend of mine does.

My stuff goes in three large wheely holdalls. With a big 110 litre rucksack, some drybags strapped to the side of that, and two large 80 litre wheely holdalls, I could get the expensive and important belongings around with me. But I couldn't do that as the rest of the stuff that takes up additional space is the 8 boxes of work, and 10 boxes of books, along with duvets, shoes and other random stuff. :rolleyes:
Reply 8
The TSR thing is just a guide. I'd say get bedding, clothes and anything else you may want to bring (laptop etc.). The rest you can buy in uni (like food, stationary, books etc.)

Latest

Trending

Trending