The Student Room Group

Sixth Form Personal Statements - share tips and ask for advice

Scroll to see replies

Original post by PrinceUpsb
I have an application that has about 2 x 4/5 a4 landscape page for writing (they split up academic/extra curr sections).. with the addition of 'continue onto extra sheet if necessary'... so I'm not limited here really am I? Plenty of space.

You're sorted, because that is loads of room to write everything! And you're not really limited if they say that you can continue on a extra sheet, so don't worry :smile:
Wow this is old....
Reply 82
[INDENT]Guys, I need advice. Had my AS-Level results today and t was not very good at all. I barely passed two and failed the other two. I passed My psychology and Biology with a Ds which I plan to resit in Yr 13 but I need 1 more A-Level. I was wondering if it's better for me to resit the whole AS Level year or continue the two AS-Levels now and do an easy Side AS-Level if thats even possible.. Is it possible to continue with 2 A-levels and 1 AS.. I need advice btw I'm in Sixthform.[/INDENT]
Reply 83
When you create a personal statement for a certain subject, does that go to all subjects you have applied for? For example, say you have applied to law and medicine?

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my HTC Desire S
Reply 84
Hi, I am applying for a six form and I have to write a strong personal statement, but I'm not sure what to write. I have chosen to study mathematics, business, drama and geography. Would you please help me write a personal statement.
I HAVE to include:

how you have developed an interest in the subjects that you have applied for;

how these subjects may support your progression to university;

your understanding of what life in the Sixth Form involves and that you have the capacity to manage this;

other qualifications that you have acquired;

skills that you have developed through contribution to the wider school community;

any work experience that you are seeking that is relevant to a possible future

Thanks in advance.
Reply 85
What's a good starting line?
Reply 86
Original post by RK
We get a number of people asking about Sixth Form Personal Statements on here and all get answered separately - so here is a place for people to ask for help and maybe post up what they have written to looked at. With PS for Sixth Form apparently becoming more common and more important, it might be useful to ask questions about your PS.

We have the PS Helpers for the Uni PSs - but speaking to them they don't know much about Sixth Form PSs, so think this thread is a good idea where Sixth Form people who know more about them can take a look an help other people.

So if you want help do the following

Say what school you're applying to

Say what subjects/qualifications you want to do

Ask what sort of help you need (general pointers on what to include/your statement checking over/advice on structure etc)

Maybe post up what you have written to get checked over.

While it's different for every school and college, we could also try to draw up some general advice and tips on what to do and how to find out more information specific to your school or college. So let's get posting in here and see what we can come up with :smile:

Hello i need help i am applying to a few new sixform schools and would like some general tips on writing a personal statement
Reply 87
please ignore spelling and grammar as this is only the first draft!!! just want to know if content is okay? opinions please!!

Aylesford School Sixth Form is the sixth form I would like to become a part of because I know it would give me the opportunity to succeed. This is not only because of how well the courses suit me and my ambitions but because I know school and all the staff well - I know that the support would be there if I was to need it.
The courses I am keen on taking are: Art, ICT, Business and English literature, I feel that these four courses go well together and will allow me to reach my ambitions. Art and photography are two of my greatest passions, and developing these skills will allow me new opportunities wherever i go. This is because whenever or wherever you travel the language may change but an image can always be understood, this is one of the reasons I am passionate about art, there are no boundaries and limits just time for me to put my idea's across and develop them.
I feel that the Art and ICT link together well as I am developing my skills whist using my imagination and creativity whereas Business and English allow me to learn from the present world and other people's developments. By combining the two together I feel I can succeed in all areas.

My work experience has not only allowed me to gain more knowledge and many new physical skills but it has also allowed me to develop as a person, running Bijoux Marrianne on my own has given me the self confidence and self-belief I needed, allowing me to improve both academically and socially. My other work experience includes working in Jarrolds and The Oyster Box, working in both of these allowed me to develop team-work skills and time management.

I feel that my self motivation and wish to succeed are two of my strengths, as I know that if I were to miss a deadline or simply leave an assignment until later the only person I am letting down and putting stress on is myself (and maybe the teachers too). But this allows me to put effort into everything I do and try my best to reach my full potential.
Reply 88
can someone read my personal statement please and let me know what they think. Its for Adams grammar school in Newpor. I will study English, history politics and economics. thanks. (ITS RATHER LONG)

I am writing in the hope that you will consider me for aplace in your Sixth Form. I strongly believe that I will be extremely wellsuited for Adams’ Grammar School because I am an articulate, dedicated and ahardworking individual with the determination to succeed. My full effort andcommitment goes into everything I do, whether it is inside or outside ofschool, extracurricular activities or out of school clubs.
Throughout my life at Charlton School I have shown greatdedication and have maintained an excellent level of attendance. Over my periodat Charlton I have gained many certificates and awards in a wide variety ofsubject areas. I have continually beenin the top sets and am firmly established in the school’s Gifted and Talented registerin a number of areas such as Physical Education and English.
In my final year I was proud to be selected as the Head Boy ofCharlton. I was selected following an application and interview process whichwas conducted by the Head Teacher and other figures of authority. In becomingHead Boy I felt greatly honoured as this is the highest position for studentsin the school. This role showsresponsibility inside of school; maturity, leadership amongst my peers andyounger students whilst showing a plethora of talents and achievements in manydifferent areas for example recently being nominated for a county sports award.I was very keen to be selected for this role as it allowed me to implement anypositive changes and also try to make an impact on younger student’s lives aswell as getting fully involved with the ethos of the school. This is somethingI hope to maintain when conducting my A-levels as I enjoy being part of myschool community and I hope I can be fully involved with the ethos of Adams’Grammar School. In school I haverecently been selected to be part of a team of three to partake in the YouthSpeaks competition, where we will be competing for a place in the Birminghamcompetition. I highly enjoy public speaking and debating. I am also part of the schools debating teamand we will be soon competing against Ercall Wood. As well as these I am involvedin many sports teams which include the rugby team and also ranked first seedfor my school badminton team, competing regularly in many different events.
Sport has always been a great passion of mine and i havebeen extremely privileged to have been consecutively chosen to represent mycountry at my chosen sport; Ice hockey. I have shown great commitment to Icehockey starting at the age of 6 and in 2008 completed an England Ice HockeyAssociation refereeing course and passed to show that I can assist children inthe game I love whilst showing that i can be trusted in difficult situations. Overmy career I have been in a number of different teams ranging from Telford u10sto England u16s. In my local team I have been nominated captain for the u14 andu16 team, now I am in the u18s team and have been nominated by my coach as theassistant captain. In 2011 my Telfordteam nominated me (from the whole club) to be given the chance of carrying theOlympic Torch. I have won many awards in Telford ranging from Players’ Player,Supporters’ player and ‘Mr.Asisst’ and am now playing adult hockey, trainingwith the Telford Tigers and playing for the Telford Titans.
In higher level ice hockey I have been chosen as the MostValuable Player for my u14s England ice hockey team and have also had thehonour of captaining the Midlands u15s team, leading my team to interconference gold and in the foreign trip to Czech republic received Best ForwardOf The Tournament. From this team I was also selected as part of an All-Starteam composed of 5 players from around Great Britain. During 2011 I was chosenby the England u16s coach to represent Great Britain as the only player to goto an ELITE International Ice Hockey Federation Development Camp in Finland.Here I met new people from all around the world with lots of differentcultures, ranging from New Zealand and Japan to America and Canada. I havestayed in contact with these players as having knowledge of different culturesis very important to me; I hope to maintain this attitude when conducting myA-levels hopefully at Adams’ Grammar School. Hockey has taught me lots of things such as how to lose and win withrespect and dignity and that trying your hardest and reaching your full potentialis much more important than winning a game.
In my spare time I enjoy playing the drums and have a strongmusical interest. I used to be in a band, and we came second in a local radiocompetition and the song which we composed was played live on air. I also enjoycooking; in 2009 I went to a chef’s course at Shrewsbury College and here Ireceived the Most Improved Chef Award.
My aim is to pursue a career in Law and so would be lookingto study English Literature, History, Government and Politics and alsoEconomics. I wish to study English as it is the subject I have achieved highestin most consistently throughout my school life. I am extremely literate andenjoy analysing texts and I relish the opportunities for speaking and listeningactivities. Economics is of huge interest to me because I am very numerate andthis will help me in my awareness of the working world both nationally andinternationally. History has always been a strong passion of mine and I wish tofurther my intellectual knowledge deeper and so will assist me with analysingsources which is vital for a career in Law. Government and Politics is a newsubject that I wish to explore, as i have a strong interest in politics inBritain today. In doing this subject I believe it will allow me to have agreater understanding of the way countries are run.
Adams’ for me represents hard work and an ethos ofdedication and teamwork. This will help me to become the successful and wellrounded person that i want to be. A character of integrity is vital to me. In life I have had to overcome manychallenges, adversities and personal tragedies. In 2010, my family and Isuffered a tragic loss. My little sister suddenly died, leaving us distraughtand heartbroken. Having achieved what I have achieved in later years showsstrong character and the will to succeed. I want to try to teach as well asinform people on how to respect people in a mature way. Passing on my knowledge will help people whomay be in the same situation as me, it also shows that when standing in theface of adversity, strong character and self belief has guided me to where I amtoday.
In conclusion, I firmly believe that I have what it takes toundertake my A-Level studies at Adams’. I strongly believe I can bring a wholehost of positives whilst whole-heartedly involving myself in the amazingextracurricular activities and rewarding life of the school. The ethos ofAdams’ is one which I am desperate to be a part of; it is made very apparentthat the rich heritage of the school shapes many well rounded individuals. Theschool is a vibrant and exciting place, with a strong sense of community andworking for each other. At Adams’ Grammar School I believe I will be able todevelop into an interesting, balanced and independent young man, and I hope youwill consider me for a place in your sixth form.
Original post by oli_hunt53
can someone read my personal statement please and let me know what they think. Its for Adams grammar school in Newpor. I will study English, history politics and economics. thanks. (ITS RATHER LONG)

I am writing in the hope that you will consider me for aplace in your Sixth Form. I strongly believe that I will be extremely wellsuited for Adams’ Grammar School because I am an articulate, dedicated and ahardworking individual with the determination to succeed. My full effort andcommitment goes into everything I do, whether it is inside or outside ofschool, extracurricular activities or out of school clubs.
Throughout my life at Charlton School I have shown greatdedication and have maintained an excellent level of attendance. Over my periodat Charlton I have gained many certificates and awards in a wide variety ofsubject areas. I have continually beenin the top sets and am firmly established in the school’s Gifted and Talented registerin a number of areas such as Physical Education and English.
In my final year I was proud to be selected as the Head Boy ofCharlton. I was selected following an application and interview process whichwas conducted by the Head Teacher and other figures of authority. In becomingHead Boy I felt greatly honoured as this is the highest position for studentsin the school. This role showsresponsibility inside of school; maturity, leadership amongst my peers andyounger students whilst showing a plethora of talents and achievements in manydifferent areas for example recently being nominated for a county sports award.I was very keen to be selected for this role as it allowed me to implement anypositive changes and also try to make an impact on younger student’s lives aswell as getting fully involved with the ethos of the school. This is somethingI hope to maintain when conducting my A-levels as I enjoy being part of myschool community and I hope I can be fully involved with the ethos of Adams’Grammar School. In school I haverecently been selected to be part of a team of three to partake in the YouthSpeaks competition, where we will be competing for a place in the Birminghamcompetition. I highly enjoy public speaking and debating. I am also part of the schools debating teamand we will be soon competing against Ercall Wood. As well as these I am involvedin many sports teams which include the rugby team and also ranked first seedfor my school badminton team, competing regularly in many different events.
Sport has always been a great passion of mine and i havebeen extremely privileged to have been consecutively chosen to represent mycountry at my chosen sport; Ice hockey. I have shown great commitment to Icehockey starting at the age of 6 and in 2008 completed an England Ice HockeyAssociation refereeing course and passed to show that I can assist children inthe game I love whilst showing that i can be trusted in difficult situations. Overmy career I have been in a number of different teams ranging from Telford u10sto England u16s. In my local team I have been nominated captain for the u14 andu16 team, now I am in the u18s team and have been nominated by my coach as theassistant captain. In 2011 my Telfordteam nominated me (from the whole club) to be given the chance of carrying theOlympic Torch. I have won many awards in Telford ranging from Players’ Player,Supporters’ player and ‘Mr.Asisst’ and am now playing adult hockey, trainingwith the Telford Tigers and playing for the Telford Titans.
In higher level ice hockey I have been chosen as the MostValuable Player for my u14s England ice hockey team and have also had thehonour of captaining the Midlands u15s team, leading my team to interconference gold and in the foreign trip to Czech republic received Best ForwardOf The Tournament. From this team I was also selected as part of an All-Starteam composed of 5 players from around Great Britain. During 2011 I was chosenby the England u16s coach to represent Great Britain as the only player to goto an ELITE International Ice Hockey Federation Development Camp in Finland.Here I met new people from all around the world with lots of differentcultures, ranging from New Zealand and Japan to America and Canada. I havestayed in contact with these players as having knowledge of different culturesis very important to me; I hope to maintain this attitude when conducting myA-levels hopefully at Adams’ Grammar School. Hockey has taught me lots of things such as how to lose and win withrespect and dignity and that trying your hardest and reaching your full potentialis much more important than winning a game.
In my spare time I enjoy playing the drums and have a strongmusical interest. I used to be in a band, and we came second in a local radiocompetition and the song which we composed was played live on air. I also enjoycooking; in 2009 I went to a chef’s course at Shrewsbury College and here Ireceived the Most Improved Chef Award.
My aim is to pursue a career in Law and so would be lookingto study English Literature, History, Government and Politics and alsoEconomics. I wish to study English as it is the subject I have achieved highestin most consistently throughout my school life. I am extremely literate andenjoy analysing texts and I relish the opportunities for speaking and listeningactivities. Economics is of huge interest to me because I am very numerate andthis will help me in my awareness of the working world both nationally andinternationally. History has always been a strong passion of mine and I wish tofurther my intellectual knowledge deeper and so will assist me with analysingsources which is vital for a career in Law. Government and Politics is a newsubject that I wish to explore, as i have a strong interest in politics inBritain today. In doing this subject I believe it will allow me to have agreater understanding of the way countries are run.
Adams’ for me represents hard work and an ethos ofdedication and teamwork. This will help me to become the successful and wellrounded person that i want to be. A character of integrity is vital to me. In life I have had to overcome manychallenges, adversities and personal tragedies. In 2010, my family and Isuffered a tragic loss. My little sister suddenly died, leaving us distraughtand heartbroken. Having achieved what I have achieved in later years showsstrong character and the will to succeed. I want to try to teach as well asinform people on how to respect people in a mature way. Passing on my knowledge will help people whomay be in the same situation as me, it also shows that when standing in theface of adversity, strong character and self belief has guided me to where I amtoday.
In conclusion, I firmly believe that I have what it takes toundertake my A-Level studies at Adams’. I strongly believe I can bring a wholehost of positives whilst whole-heartedly involving myself in the amazingextracurricular activities and rewarding life of the school. The ethos ofAdams’ is one which I am desperate to be a part of; it is made very apparentthat the rich heritage of the school shapes many well rounded individuals. Theschool is a vibrant and exciting place, with a strong sense of community andworking for each other. At Adams’ Grammar School I believe I will be able todevelop into an interesting, balanced and independent young man, and I hope youwill consider me for a place in your sixth form.

This is really good, but I reckon you can make it even better if you added a few more examples and evidences. I'm going to edit your message in bold where I think it would be a good idea to add an example or two. For instance, if you say you have a good attendance add some evidence to back it up... such as 'I had great attendance as is evident in my 100% attendance record'.

dedicated, hardworking and determined - can you add an example to evidence this? What have you done at school that required you to be hardworking etc?
commitment - where have you needed commitment? What clubs have you joined? Have you had commit to any times?

what awards have you achieved? Explain a little about them.

What exactly did you do as headboy that illustrates these qualities?
Original post by asifa129
i'd really like to know abit about wakfeild girls high school so if anyone knows anything about it, it wud be highly appreciated if u messaged me or made me aware in any manner,
thanku

Have you tried googling it?
1.I am applying to Westminster School Sixth form.
2.The subjects I want to do at Sixth form are Biology,Chemistry,Physics and Mathematics
I would like to ask what sort of interests should I include in my personal statement.
Reply 92
I am applying to bishop vesey sixth form and i am hoping to take art, psychology, business and either english or biology (haven't decided yet),
On the open day they emphasised the fact that they are interested in extra curricular activities, charity work, what we can offer the school and what I can take out of the school.
I'm unsure about the structure or even how to start it!
I'd be very grateful for any help given!!! Thankyou!
Reply 93
hi, i need help writing my personal statement for westcliff high school for girls sixth form. i am applying to take psychology, theatrical studies, french and english language. it would be great if you could help me with generally what to include and a structure. thanks!
Reply 94
Hi, I'm completely stuck on what to write for my personal statement.
I am applying to a highly selective girl's grammar school and I am taking Chemistry, Biology, Maths and History.
I have to write about reason for applying, reasons for A-levels, extra-curricular activities and achievements, work experience and my future career.
However, nearly EVERYONE applying wants to do exactly the same thing.
Could you give me some tips that will help my personal statement stand out?
Thank you :smile:
Hi all

I need help with my PS. I'm gonna be taking History, Politics, Maths and Computing. I'm completely lost on what to do for this. I know it needs to be 1000 characters (including spaces), but apart from that I don't know what needs to go in it. I really want to make it as good as I can.
Reply 96
I'm apply to Christleton High School (In Christleton, yup you guessed it).
I am going to apply for Maths, Physics, Geography and Biology.
I play the piano, go to scouts, teach piano, and I am hoping to study the environment and renewable energy further in education.
If anyone has any advice on what to put in my personal statement it would be much appreciated! Do you think I should write much about why I want to study the environment later on, or is it a bit irrelevant?
Can someone review my personal statement please
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 98
For everyone starting sixth form in September 2015, aren't the qualifications and all that changing? We've been told that they're getting rid of AS levels and just having two years of A levels but even teachers don't know how that's going to affect choosing our options or our personal statements. Can anyone help?
Reply 99
I plan on taking Maths, Chemistry, Biology and Physics at A level? Will it be hard? I enjoy these subjects more than the others...help please

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending