The Student Room Group

Percentage of applicants awarded places at Oxford University?

On another online forum, an American site, a person asked the question:

"Which of these school in your opinion would be the hardest to gain admission into and is anyone planning to go to one of these school's?

1. Harvard
2. Oxford
3. Yale.
4. Princeton"

And someone replied, "Statisically, Harvard and Princeton only admitted 10% that applied, Yale 11%.
Oxford is 70%+"

Obviously, that is wrong, and I want to say that...but I can't find any statistics to prove it!

So does anyone know, and have proof of it, just how many of the applicants to Oxford University get a place?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
According to

http://www.admissions.ox.ac.uk/colleges/adstats.pdf

there were, in 2002, 11793 applications and 3281 acceptances

which makes for a 27.8% success rate - though it will be a little less than this as there are slightly more offers than places.
Reply 2
i think it depends on the subject tbh. For example, take Business and Management at Oxford...a very popular course. University average is over 4 applicants to every place. Yet take chemistry, a subject which most universities struggle to fill. Oxford's university average for this subject is just 1.4 applicants for every place. It pays to check the stats for specific subjects! and at some of the colleges this figure dips BELOW 1....ie they dont fill all the places available!
Willa
i think it depends on the subject tbh. For example, take Business and Management at Oxford...a very popular course. University average is over 4 applicants to every place. Yet take chemistry, a subject which most universities struggle to fill. Oxford's university average for this subject is just 1.4 applicants for every place. It pays to check the stats for specific subjects! and at some of the colleges this figure dips BELOW 1....ie they dont fill all the places available!

But they do- through the POOL!!!!
Reply 4
yes i know..i'm just saying they dont fill em from their applicants direct to their college. Whereas at a place like cambridge....too many applicants practically everywhere!
Reply 5
RichE
According to

http://www.admissions.ox.ac.uk/colleges/adstats.pdf

there were, in 2002, 11793 applications and 3281 acceptances

which makes for a 27.8% success rate - though it will be a little less than this as there are slightly more offers than places.

It also doesn't take into account that most of those offers will be conditional.
Willa
yes i know..i'm just saying they dont fill em from their applicants direct to their college. Whereas at a place like cambridge....too many applicants practically everywhere!

Wow Cambridge must be like so amazing, so amazing it didn't even make that American's list (above). Oh well!
Reply 7
It's pointless comparing Oxford to those three; the applications structure in the US is very different to over here. I would say in practice they're just as tough as each other.
Does anyone know the link of applicant to place ratio for each individual college at Oxford? I saw it somewhere but can't find it for some reason.
Reply 9
yes, it is a common misconception amongst the western society that oxford is the cream of the uk's higher education. This tends to have come out of it's past prestiguousness and being popularised in various films and books. In the east however, society has not been used to this higher education malarky, and so tend to award social credibility to the best academic performers. Hence Cambridge is considered Europe's best university by eastern society.

When it comes to Americans, they have their fair share of amazing educational establishments, and so their a main desire to leave their own country tends to be down to prestige and such. Oxford, being the older of the two, is considered to be more presitigous. However as is the case with so many things, it's quality not quantity, and so age is now become less important than what the universities have got to offer. Cambridge is fast establishing itself as THE university of academic excellence in Europe. It is the New Oxford....it has everything Oxford had 150 years ago......so move over Oxford, you've had your day.

Although in fairness....if you go to either cambridge or oxford, you're gonig to a damn good university.
Reply 10
Willa
yes, it is a common misconception amongst the western society that oxford is the cream of the uk's higher education. This tends to have come out of it's past prestiguousness and being popularised in various films and books. In the east however, society has not been used to this higher education malarky, and so tend to award social credibility to the best academic performers. Hence Cambridge is considered Europe's best university by eastern society.

When it comes to Americans, they have their fair share of amazing educational establishments, and so their a main desire to leave their own country tends to be down to prestige and such. Oxford, being the older of the two, is considered to be more presitigous. However as is the case with so many things, it's quality not quantity, and so age is now become less important than what the universities have got to offer. Cambridge is fast establishing itself as THE university of academic excellence in Europe. It is the New Oxford....it has everything Oxford had 150 years ago......so move over Oxford, you've had your day.

Although in fairness....if you go to either cambridge or oxford, you're gonig to a damn good university.

You really do have an exceptionally big chip on your shoulder regarding Oxford. Why do you care so much?
Reply 11
yes i am aware of the chip. It's a personal matter....a sort of personal battle with a colleugue who is off to oxford this year. I am fully aware my opinions are seriously biased, hence I added that final pointer that in reality, there is little difference between the two, both are pretty much as good as each other, to a non-bias objective individual, neither will be better or worse in any aspect.
Reply 12
Willa

I agree with H&E. I'm going to Oxford and even I would regard the two as equal! I simply liked Oxford as a place better, that's all.
Reply 13
Willa
yes i am aware of the chip. It's a personal matter....a sort of personal battle with a colleugue who is off to oxford this year. I am fully aware my opinions are seriously biased, hence I added that final pointer that in reality, there is little difference between the two, both are pretty much as good as each other, to a non-bias objective individual, neither will be better or worse in any aspect.

Fair enough, was just curious. I was sure this post wasn't isolated, so had a look through your recent posts and half the first page was on this topic. I don't think your opinions are that biased, I think Cambridge has earned itself the right to claim an academic edge. I just wondered why you felt the need to assert this claim so frequently. I hope your "battle" with your colleague (I note you don't used the word "friend") doesn't get to serious over this... :rolleyes:
Reply 14
H&E
Fair enough, was just curious. I was sure this post wasn't isolated, so had a look through your recent posts and half the first page was on this topic. I don't think your opinions are that biased, I think Cambridge has earned itself the right to claim an academic edge. I just wondered why you felt the need to assert this claim so frequently. I hope your "battle" with your colleague (I note you don't used the word "friend") doesn't get to serious over this... :rolleyes:

Well i dont think it's going to get serious, because personally I think I have won the battle :tongue:
We are still friends, but this little rivallry has pulled us apart a bit. We've been very competitive for the past 7 years.
Reply 15
H&E
You really do have an exceptionally big chip on your shoulder regarding Oxford. Why do you care so much?

Mhmhm, appears like a Cambridge inferiorty complex, to me. :tongue:
Reply 16
aliel
Mhmhm, appears like a Cambridge inferiorty complex, to me. :tongue:

If we're talking about inferiority complexes, I think having a page in your freshers' guide teaching them how to slag off Cambridge (this was someone going to ChCh, I don't know if it's in the uni guide or the college one) is displaying one loud and clear :wink:
Reply 17
:tongue:
Reply 18
Helenia
If we're talking about inferiority complexes, I think having a page in your freshers' guide teaching them how to slag off Cambridge (this was someone going to ChCh, I don't know if it's in the uni guide or the college one) is displaying one loud and clear :wink:

The uni-wide one didn't have any pages dedicated to it, but there were plenty of references to it, especially in the sports bit.

So, Christ Church then...
The Chch freshers guide is here, http://users.ox.ac.uk/~chri1588/chchweb/freshers/index.html , my room mate made it. Are you referring to the two lines on the last page of the glossary which explains what a tab is?

Latest

Trending

Trending