The Student Room Group

WJEC CH4- need help on a question.

2- hydroxybenzenecarboxylic acid is prepared industrially from phenol.
if the yeild for the industrial preparation is 79.0%, calculate to three significant figures, the mass of 2-hydroxybenzenecarboxylic acid produced from 1.00kg of phenol. (3marks)

Also, state the reagents used to convert 2-hydroxybenzenecarboxylic acid to aspirin. (2marks)

do we work out the theoretical mass here?..if so than how? since we don't have the actual mass of the whole thing either =/ ..sorry Im a bit lost. any help would be appreciated.
Reply 1
mahi_ve
2- hydroxybenzenecarboxylic acid is prepared industrially from phenol.
if the yeild for the industrial preparation is 79.0%, calculate to three significant figures, the mass of 2-hydroxybenzenecarboxylic acid produced from 1.00kg of phenol. (3marks)

Also, state the reagents used to convert 2-hydroxybenzenecarboxylic acid to aspirin. (2marks)

do we work out the theoretical mass here?..if so than how? since we don't have the actual mass of the whole thing either =/ ..sorry Im a bit lost. any help would be appreciated.

for question 2, you might find this helpful:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asprin#Synthesis

bear in mind that this is wikipedia, so might not be 100% accurate, but should give you the basic idea of what happens.
Reply 2
As for Q1, isn't just a case of finding out what is 79% of 1kg, or have I horrendously misread the question in my current, sleep deprived, exam drained state of mind? :s-smilie: :rolleyes:
Reply 3
Da Hool
As for Q1, isn't just a case of finding out what is 79% of 1kg, or have I horrendously misread the question in my current, sleep deprived, exam drained state of mind? :s-smilie: :rolleyes:

I thought it wanted us to work out the mass =/ ..don't worry my mind is just as drained..im starting to think, its rejecting taking in any more questions let alone the method to work out the answers.

thanks for the wikipedia linky, I thought it'd be esterification just wasn't sure about the reagents. =p
Reply 4
i was thinking it would be something along the lines of: what mass is 79% of 1kg, and the answer would be in kg. hmmmm....
Reply 5
79% of 1kg would be... umm.. 1kg/100 x 79 ....gives 0.79kg.
it said give it to three significant figures though..which wouldn't work out...o.o or am i just being really thick. omg.
Reply 6
ok that was totally wrong. lol
I managed to work it out properly.. just going to post up the answer in case...

C6H5OH -----> C7H6O3
98.11 -----> 138.12
1000 ----> ?
therefore,
138.12 x 1000/ 98.11 = 1407.81g

1407.81 x 79% = 1.112kg.

^.^
Reply 7

Add ethanoic anhydride at 90 degrees C.
Reply 8
using a few drops of phosphoric acid as a catalyst ^ :d

distilled water for crystalllization.

Latest