The Student Room Group

AQA ICT Unit 4

Anyone doing this on wednesday? Strictly speaking I've finished my A levels but I'm having to go back and sit ICT again because I only managed a D overall. Anyway, I got 36/90 and 40/90 in the two sittings of this that I have done (both E's) and I was opening this thread for general discussion of this exam. However, two things I would like to know are firstly if there is any other preparation to be done than past papers and secondly what topics need to be known for the essay question at the end so I can get on and revise them! I hate this subject with a passion - it makes no sense to me at all. My current unit grades are, in order: DACEEE - clearly it's the A2 mainly that has let me down but I put loads more work into A2 then I did into AS!?

Scroll to see replies

I know tell me about it, i feel like a failure just looking at the revision guide. Well Coroporate Information systems are like to come up, and Management of Change. Try legal Aspects to has it comes up most years. Lol . The worst thing is the paper looks so easy and then when you take it, i end up gettin absloutely *******s results in the mocks lol So am dreading this on wendesday. Have u started revising?!!! I need help dont seem 2 understand nefink!! Well i have all the past papers and Memorise the Anwsers to them because the same question seem to come up over and over again lol ... its only that goddam Essay question.. its seems a mission!!!!
Reply 2
Our ICT theory teaching has been really crap so I've done this all off my own back. The essay question is horrible its so hard to revise because I hate doing them, I haven't got a clue for Corporate Security Strategy or CISS.

A was about 70% last year but I've seen it as low as 60, depends how horrible the essay is.
Reply 3
This exam will be a joke. Just like the rest of the ICT ones. Infact I give up trying on ICT.
its there marking there sooo harsh.. it stupid!!!... They should be nicer lol ... There the reason we cudnt get it 2 our university we want. x
Reply 5
Yeah, I totally agree, marking is ridiculous. I told them at the end of my unit 1 exam that the whole specification is ridiculous and needs changing/improving lol. Yeah, the whole university thing is the big problem for me. A 'D' in a subject such as ICT does not look good on your UCAS form lol! I hope they all realise what ICT is like and take that into consideration when considering applications! I need at least a B in it but I really can't see that happening tbh, need another 91/600 (my current total is 329/600). Unit 1, 4 and 5 are my only hope - got an A in Unit 2 and I really don't want to have to resubmit the coursework... I've had multiple bad experiences in the past with resubmitting ICT coursework! Tommy
Is re-subbitmitting coursework even a option?:O i didnt realsie we could do that - My coursework let me down alot last year. That bast*rd of a teacher didnt even tell me. The reason everyone gets low marks is because, if you put a anwser thats not in the mark scheme although it may be right you wont get a mark for it because, the people who are marking the exams arent ICT teachers so dont know if its right or Not! if that makes sense. I Very much doubt i will get the grades i need because ict so harsh!!
Reply 7
Yeah i resubmitted AS coursework twice and it didn't change either time (78/120 = C). I got told by my teacher for AS and A2 that I'd get a B and in the end I got a C for AS and an E for A2 (55/120)! I'm still unsure as to whether this is due to my ICT teacher being an uneducated, moronic fool or whether it is the exam board which is to blame. I guess it could be the case that everyone involved with the course is just plain stupid and (on the part of the exam board) want the course to be something it's not by making it the most difficult subject to get an A in, and on the teacher front, they're either extremely unintelligent or they've been mislead by the devious AQA ICT hierarchy. Who knows? One thing I am certain of is that there is something fishy going on! I'm not even sure people get A's in it! If they do they are very hard to come across. Maybe they are assassinated by the AQA ICT Gestapo, shortly after receiving their results? Now I'm just being ridiculous lol!
Reply 8
I got an A at AS (just) but there's no way I'm repeating that. I'm just hoping the coursework can top up the exams and keep me at a B.
lmao well in my 6th form Loadz of people re took unit 1 In june last yr including some people from A2 hu had got like B's the first time round... n in june no one came out higher than a D When most ppl had walked out syain it was so much easier :|! Well u cud say maybe they were all **** but then there were some people who were super clever lol!!! GODDAM THOSE ICT moderators...! They dont wnt anyone 2 come out with a A n then there the once sayin a levels r gettin easier :|
Reply 10
I would KILL someone for an A at AS and a B overall! Unfortunately I'm going to have to make do with resits in order to get that B i so badly want!
Yep, not looking forward to this one at all. Re-sat my unit 2 this January and felt that went pretty well, so hopefully that will have improved which takes the pressure from this coming exam.

CEA last year, the E hopefully being improved. On a C at the moment and if I manage to improve that it will be great.
Reply 12
Not feeling too confident with this one, it looks like its gonna be one hard exam.

It seems like, if you dont write exactly what the examiners require there no chance of getting a good grade.

Anyways good luck ppl
Reply 13
Just got back from this exam, two words, not good. The bulk of the exam was ok (minus 7), but the essay question seemed soooo vague. What did people put for that one? Had no idea, just ended brain dumping everything I could relate to it. Hope it went better for everyone else

- T
Reply 14
HAHA I've failed.
Wrote 4 lines for the essay question. Oops.
God that was one hard exam!! First of all the user support question :s-smilie: 3 marks per point! i didnt have 3 things i could rite about!!! well the essay question was okay! jus rote abut how ppl at different levels can use different system lmao!! Complete *******s but had nothing else 2 put!
did anybody get the whole? informal/formal data thing :frown: totally sucked on that!
Reply 16
yea ICT Alevel is a joke for marks/grades.
I some how got a U in one of the modules (and i was top of the class, and also doing Computing which i was an A grade student). My ICT6 cwk also got down marked by two whole grades (from what my teacher marked it as).

Now that i have real experience from working in IT, i hope i come out with at least a better grade this year for my retakes :P
Reply 17
The essay question for this was shockingly awful, managed to get two pages worth down..

I cant remember it now, but there was a word in it that I had no idea what it meant.. 'diss-....' anyone else need to ask? I know there were a few where I was.

we shall see what happens in march.. I reckon that if enough of us did badly they will bring the boundaries down..? =]
That paper was relatively harder than the past papers i been through :s-smilie: what did everyone put for the whole formal/informal thing?
Yep i asked what dissemenation meant? and got told that im sorry no help can been given! So i left that point out lol!!! Yeahh i thought this paper was much harder that Last few.. let me guess those examiners are going to be bastards now and mark really harshly lol! So no surprise wen i come out with a E on March the 6th!!!!

Latest