The Student Room Group

Summer Job Guide for Students (and everyone)!

Scroll to see replies

xpb07
Hi guys

Need some advice. looking for a job from now till mid aug; which i will be going on holiday till the early sept then hoping to work for a few more weeks till end of sept when uni starts. im struggling to find work with temp work etc. should i not tell them how long i am planning to work for?

You could try temp agencies that need receptionists for very short term placements, like a few days or a week or so. A few of those might fill in your time. Or bank housekeeping at a local hospital.

If you don't tell the, how long you want to work for and you leave, they probably wont want you back for the final few weeks after your hols.
xpb07
Hi guys

Need some advice. looking for a job from now till mid aug; which i will be going on holiday till the early sept then hoping to work for a few more weeks till end of sept when uni starts. im struggling to find work with temp work etc. should i not tell them how long i am planning to work for?

Try and find a temping hospitality job - Michael Wisher, Splendid etc, I'm sure there will be more around the country. You just tell them what days you are available to work and they will give you any waiting work at functions and events they have available.
Ooh, I've got to watch this thread! Thank you so much OP :biggrin:
Reply 183
I found out a few days ago that Monsoon take on extra staff over the summer - you fill out an application form rather than doing a CV but it's probably worth a shot. I expect the pay is pretty competitive!
Applied for Barracudas, the others didnt seem to have anything near the London area unfortunately. Hope to get an interview!
Just warning people that I've applied to a good 50 odd jobs from the job centre website (in the last year) and have never had any reply from any of them and some of the shop vacancies they list don't exist on said shops website. I am suspicious a lot don't exist. If I don't find a full time job soon I will cry :tongue:
Tried loads (40 odd) retail places..no response apart from rejection.
Done call centres/bar jobs/admin people...no response.

I've had my CV checked and I have cash handling skills. I can't go on working as a flyerer :s

p.s No love from hospitality/promotions places either.
Have I missed the boat looking for summer jobs? I want to find work from the 1st of August until about the 6th of October but cannot find anything :sigh: Anyone else looking right now?
Trying to find a job is doing my head in. I've applied to 50+ jobs in the last six weeks. I've signed up for a directing traffic at events thing, but they haven't called me yet about working at any of the events that I expressed an interest in. I'm going to a recruitment day for casual event bar work in London (which is costing me £30 for the train, argh), so hopefully I'll get something out of that.
I'm free pretty much straight through till September so I really want to be working as many hours as I can.
(edited 12 years ago)
I don't understand how I have just been rejected without an interview for two jobs - I'm completely over qualified for both of them. I can only assume that they think I'm going to quit the job in September and go to university... which is true, but I thought I covered my tracks pretty well on that.
I don't suppose there's any much point in me applying for any summer jobs now if I'm holidaying non-stop from late July to late August?
just to watch this thread! thanks :smile:
Getting totally fed up. Did a CV drop of 40 just over a week ago which yielded one unsuccessful interview. Have also applied for every suitable position going on Job Centre online, still waiting to see if I get anything out of those. I'm willing to work any time, any day, as many hours as possible until the end of September. Guh!
Reply 192
job hunt gets so tedious and depressing...
I couldn't agree more don't you just hate when people rub it in your face that they have a job?
This evening I whored myself out on Gumtree. It's getting desperate.
Original post by mel0n
job hunt gets so tedious and depressing...

I know it is depressing :/ I know how you feel but you have to keep trying.
Reply 196
Original post by sweetness345
I know it is depressing :/ I know how you feel but you have to keep trying.

I have an interview for a place tomorrow called Active Energy Direct.. I've applied to so many places I can't even remember the job description. Here's to hoping it's a call centre and not door to door sales :colondollar: :colondollar: They'll probably say no anyway :frown:
My Gumtree whoring didn't work. Still nothing.
Original post by mel0n
I have an interview for a place tomorrow called Active Energy Direct.. I've applied to so many places I can't even remember the job description. Here's to hoping it's a call centre and not door to door sales :colondollar: :colondollar: They'll probably say no anyway :frown:

No they might say yes...it depends on how the interview went. I hope it goes well anyway.
Reply 199
suscribing

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending