The Student Room Group
Reply 1
AQA?

Yup I did. Thought it was quite good. Clear questions and the issues were easy to spot. Better than the previous papers.
Reply 2
I thought it was a good paper but I ran out of time in the exam :frown:
Reply 3
Yeah AQA and I did criminal law :smile:
I did the first question aswell on murder.
For part a) I wrote about self-defence, intoxication, assault & Battery and GBH
b) I did murder, diminished res & prov
c) Reform ofnon-fatal offences.
Reply 4
x~PiNk~x
Yeah AQA and I did criminal law :smile:
I did the first question aswell on murder.
For part a) I wrote about self-defence, intoxication, assault & Battery and GBH
b) I did murder, diminished res & prov
c) Reform ofnon-fatal offences.

Hey same as me!! except for part a I didn't talk about battery, just assault.
Reply 5
yvonnay
Hey same as me!! except for part a I didn't talk about battery, just assault.

That makes me a bit more confident! haha
Although alot of my friends wrote about mistake which I forgot :s-smilie:
Did youtalk about insanity for part b)?
Reply 6
I did:
1a) Bob committed assault on Alan. Defence of intoxication fails as assault is basic intent therefore includes recklessness.
Alan commits gbh s.20 on Chris. Transferred malice, can transfer mens rea. Self defence available and it was a reasonable mistake. (Although someone mentioned to me if I thought it could have been ABH but I thought with it being an 'extreme allergic reaction' it was gbh)
b) Murder, proved actus reus and mens rea was there. Prov first, failed because a reasonable person wouldn't behave like that. Applied dim resp. NO causation issues.
c) Critique and reform of murder and voluntary manslaughter.

Fisnished with one minute to go. I think my writing became illegible by the end though ha! Arm was aching...
Reply 7
Haha me too I thought my arm was gonna fall off!

a) I did (cant remember who was who :confused: ) A&B for throwing the bucket over x, then s20 GBH for the damage to y. Also wrote about s18 and ruled it out as it wasnt speciic intent. Then did Assault for z for 'shouting'. Also wrote about the chain of causation & thin skull rule.
b) I wrote about murder and did dim res but said provocation was more likely as it was only one stab wound and therefore would be a 'sudden & temporary loss of control'.

I think aslong as you explain yourself well enough they should give you the marks (Y)
Reply 8
x~PiNk~x
That makes me a bit more confident! haha
Although alot of my friends wrote about mistake which I forgot :s-smilie:
Did youtalk about insanity for part b)?

no I didn't because I looked at a past paper which an examiner marked and the person had talked about DR and insanity and the examiner said that it was not necessary for the person to talk about insanity as DR would have been enough to get them an A but they still would get extra marks. Plus I had no time lol
Reply 9
I'm panicking now lol oh well just hope i've done enough
Reply 10
yvonnay
no I didn't because I looked at a past paper which an examiner marked and the person had talked about DR and insanity and the examiner said that it was not necessary for the person to talk about insanity as DR would have been enough to get them an A but they still would get extra marks. Plus I had no time lol

Yeah when I got out & everyone said they'd written about insanity I was really worried but then I got home and read the examiners report and it said it wasnt even necessary, so I ended up saving about 10 mins :smile:
Reply 11
There isn't much point at all because the defences are for the non-fatal offences and the partial defences for the fatal offences. For the exam anyway!
It's a different matter in real life!

I had just enough time to write what I did so there was no time to write any of the other little details people have mentioned now :smile: You can get an A without mentioning it all I'm sure :smile:
Reply 12
Velidap
I did:
1a) Bob committed assault on Alan. Defence of intoxication fails as assault is basic intent therefore includes recklessness.
Alan commits gbh s.20 on Chris. Transferred malice, can transfer mens rea. Self defence available and it was a reasonable mistake. (Although someone mentioned to me if I thought it could have been ABH but I thought with it being an 'extreme allergic reaction' it was gbh)
b) Murder, proved actus reus and mens rea was there. Prov first, failed because a reasonable person wouldn't behave like that. Applied dim resp. NO causation issues.
c) Critique and reform of murder and voluntary manslaughter.

Fisnished with one minute to go. I think my writing became illegible by the end though ha! Arm was aching...

I did exactly the same for part (a), but I talked about provocation and insanity for part (b). Not sure why I didn't mention diminished responsibility, but I thought it was worth getting in the M'Naughton rules and offering the possibility of whatshisface being put into a mental institute. Part (c) was very nice, and I did reform of the non-fatal offences.

Overall it was a very nice paper. Very easy to spot what's what and had lots to write about. It's a shame I didn't do enough revision and will probably have to resit. Ah, at least I finished though... I didn't finish Unit 3 again!
Reply 13
i did this paper, wrote all these points yous have talked about and came out with a D? how did everyone else do?
Reply 14
gena05
i did this paper, wrote all these points yous have talked about and came out with a D? how did everyone else do?

I came out with a high B and didn't talk about battery in the first question or mistake. I am pleased with my grade because I wasn't sure how I would do. Plus I pratically ran out of time and had to start writing in note form lol

Latest