The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Nvr_Giv_Up26
Yes, it does matter. Although if you want to get into a 'lowgraded' university, then perhaps not. But if you wnat to get into a good uni such as Oxbridge, then your gonna have to get pretty much A*'s and A's and B's.

Ha ha wtf? All medicine courses are certified by the GMC and therefore are ALL equal, regardless of whether you go to Oxford, Imperial, Hull, East Anglia etc. I'm guessing you define the newer medical schools as 'low-graded'?

And generally yes, it really does matter what your GCSE grades are (regardless of which medical school you apply to/want to go to). If you have extenuating circumstances, however, that is whole different story and the unis will take that into account.

If you don't have an average of a B (and no extenuating circumstances) then I would strongly advise against applying to Oxford, Cambridge, Imperial, Birmingham and Edinburgh (look at the 'GCSE Nazi' thread for more info). That being said, however, it can be done - if you prove that you are a 'late-bloomer' and ace your ALevels etc. Manchester particularly like that kind of applicant (or at least, understand your circumstances).

Best of luck!
Marchesa
Ha ha wtf? All medicine courses are certified by the GMC and therefore are ALL equal, regardless of whether you go to Oxford, Imperial, Hull, East Anglia etc. I'm guessing you define the newer medical schools as 'low-graded'?

And generally yes, it really does matter what your GCSE grades are (regardless of which medical school you apply to/want to go to). If you have extenuating circumstances, however, that is whole different story and the unis will take that into account.

If you don't have an average of a B (and no extenuating circumstances) then I would strongly advise against applying to Oxford, Cambridge, Imperial, Birmingham and Edinburgh (look at the 'GCSE Nazi' thread for more info). That being said, however, it can be done - if you prove that you are a 'late-bloomer' and ace your ALevels etc. Manchester particularly like that kind of applicant (or at least, understand your circumstances).

Best of luck!

I know that wasn't technically directed towards me, but thanks. Makes me feel slightly less apprehensive over GCSE's.

on a semi-related note...what would be a good way to approach bad GCSE's in terms of personal statements? I remember a lot of people in my tutorial saying stuff like "despite my below-standard GCSE grades" and being told to take it out completely. Is that something that's not good to mention in a personal statement, or is there just a certain way of tackling it?
Reply 22
Don't mention it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well at least, I would rather cut my arm off then put something so negative (which they will perceive it as, if you keep dwelling on it and reminding them!) in my personal statement where you basically -

1, have a limited amount of room ANYWAY
2, should be full of positive stuff (it's like putting in a personal ad about yourself I guess?)
3, should focus on why you should get an interview/offer (i.e. all your work experience, voluntary work etc).

If you really want to 'explain' yourself, get your reference to stick it in somewhere and for them to say that they really think that you are a late bloomer and won't have academic difficulties with the course. If not, then send an additional letter with your application, to your unis, to explain.
Marchesa

Well at least, I would rather cut my arm off then put something so negative (which they will perceive it as, if you keep dwelling on it and reminding them!) in my personal statement where you basically -

1, have a limited amount of room ANYWAY
2, should be full of positive stuff (it's like putting in a personal ad about yourself I guess?)
3, should focus on why you should get an interview/offer (i.e. all your work experience, voluntary work etc).

If you really want to 'explain' yourself, get your reference to stick it in somewhere and for them to say that they really think that you are a late bloomer and won't have academic difficulties with the course. If not, then send an additional letter with your application, to your unis, to explain.

is it...really possible to send a letter with your application, anyways? I think I'll give the reference thing a try though for sure.

although on that point...I'm gonna be applying sort of septemberish this year, and I won't be in college at the time obviously...so who exactly do I use as referees? would it basically be the same as right now? As in, college teachers?
Reply 24
If you're working, you could use your manager and another member of staff?
Reply 25
When my sister reapplied, she went back to school (i.e. sixth form) and asked her favourite teacher (lol) to write it for her and the teacher was happy to.

I think you can send an extra letter, only if you have to (no letters begging for offers! lol). If you have something you want to explain then there's nothing stopping you.
Reply 26
Re. your PS, I think it might be a bit stupid to totally ignore your grades. But put a positive spin on it like about how much more you've enjoyed the A-level course and you've found new motivation and your skills/grades have improved accordingly.
Marchesa
When my sister reapplied, she went back to school (i.e. sixth form) and asked her favourite teacher (lol) to write it for her and the teacher was happy to.

I think you can send an extra letter, only if you have to (no letters begging for offers! lol). If you have something you want to explain then there's nothing stopping you.

Don't you need, like, more than 1 reference? I have one for each of my teachers for biomed...

also where exactly would you send the extra letter if you're applying through ucas anyways? via e-mail?

Titch89
If you're working, you could use your manager and another member of staff?

Most of the people I work with speak fairly poor English, including the manager, so I'm not sure that's a brilliant idea.
Helenia
Re. your PS, I think it might be a bit stupid to totally ignore your grades. But put a positive spin on it like about how much more you've enjoyed the A-level course and you've found new motivation and your skills/grades have improved accordingly.

yeah, that's kind of the thing I was thinking of...It's a fair ways off anyways, in honesty.
Reply 29
HawkAhriman
Don't you need, like, more than 1 reference? I have one for each of my teachers for biomed...

also where exactly would you send the extra letter if you're applying through ucas anyways? via e-mail?

Only 1 reference gets sent off to UCAS. You probably had more than one teacher actually contribute to that reference, writing about how well you do in each subject, but there's only space for one reference on the UCAS form, so only one is sent, regardless of what course you apply for.

The extra letter would be sent (via post ... it's too easy to just ignore an email imho) to each university you apply to for medicine.
Miu
Only 1 reference gets sent off to UCAS. You probably had more than one teacher actually contribute to that reference, writing about how well you do in each subject, but there's only space for one reference on the UCAS form, so only one is sent, regardless of what course you apply for.

The extra letter would be sent (via post ... it's too easy to just ignore an email imho) to each university you apply to for medicine.

oh, okay, I see. So would it be in my best interests to go back and get references from all my teachers or just the best one or two?
okay, here's what i would do, go onto the wiki and make a list of EVERY medical school then trawl through their websites and find their GCSE requirements and make a list and see which ones you fit. i'd wager not so many but you should find a couple that you meet. don't rule anywhere out when making your list. (then if you're feeling extra useful you could add what you've found to the wiki)

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Where_to_Study_Medicine
bright star
okay, here's what i would do, go onto the wiki and make a list of EVERY medical school then trawl through their websites and find their GCSE requirements and make a list and see which ones you fit. i'd wager not so many but you should find a couple that you meet. don't rule anywhere out when making your list. (then if you're feeling extra useful you could add what you've found to the wiki)

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Where_to_Study_Medicine

that's...a bloody brilliant idea, cheers.

although I've already got a couple of questions. First one is on Bristol uni...it says on the wiki that there are no minimum requirements but A's and A*'s are an advantage.

Does that make bristol worth applying to, would you say, or would that still sort of mean an instant rejection?

second question is on Brighton, which requires "Grade B minimum in Maths & English Language (or equivalent)".....do you reckon that they'd allow my lack of a B in GCSE English Language since I have an A in English LAnguage A/S?

also what exactly would I add to wiki? Like, a little section listing unis that ask for GCSE grades C and above?
i'd say that things like what bristol say are likely to be as good as you're gonna find. finish your list and see what it looks like then. things like the BSMS comment are only gonna be resolved by giving them a ring and asking if they'd consider an application from you. nah, i'd just put each unis GCSE policy in their entry, some of them will be there already but it's probly out of date so look it up yourself to be sure.
Marchesa
...if you prove that you are a 'late-bloomer' and ace your ALevels etc. Manchester particularly like that kind of applicant (or at least, understand your circumstances).

You still have to meet their minimum requirements though.. 5 A/A*s with a minimum of Bs in english, maths and science. When they say they like 'late bloomers' they mean they won't discrimintae against people who achieve the bare minimum providing they can show evidence of increasing academic potential.
Reply 35
theatrical
You still have to meet their minimum requirements though.. 5 A/A*s with a minimum of Bs in english, maths and science. When they say they like 'late bloomers' they mean they won't discrimintae against people who achieve the bare minimum providing they can show evidence of increasing academic potential.

keep in mind though that those basics are usually matriculation requirements - if they like you, they may be willing to waive those.
maybe a couple years ago. when i applied things weren't quite this mad. i think it's unlikely that they'd even read your form to decide if they liked you, had you failed to meet basic requirements.
If your hoping to apply for medicine at uni then you will need to achieve high GCSEs as its such a competitve course and the requirements usually like to see A* and A's. Remember there is always resits?
Reply 38
Marchesa

Well at least, I would rather cut my arm off then put something so negative (which they will perceive it as, if you keep dwelling on it and reminding them!)

Actually I decided that I would mention why I lapsed in my GCSEs in my personal statement (with my referee backing me up of course). I really doubt they'd perceive as dwelling on the past, but rather acknowledgement and learning from it, if it is evidenced with good AS grades/A level predictions. Kinda like making the best out of a bad situation y'know..

Plus putting it in your personal statement would nip the whole issue in the bud and that would help you in your interview as they are less likely to enquire further into the matter.

Atleast I hope so because I really don't want to delve back into my gcse years >.<
My GCSEs weren't amazing but I got an offer. I didn't mention it in my personal statement either. Leave that for your referee.

Latest

Trending

Trending