The Student Room Group
Reply 1
You may wish to learn the difference between 'sentence' and 'verdict' before littering an entire coursework with incorrect terminology.
Reply 2
Attractiveness of defendant.

Look into the 'Halo Effect'
Reply 4
Hannah_Jeffries
for my coursework i'm looking at the length of sentencing alters depending on the characteristics of the defendent...i've chosen gender but cant find any studies for my background research does anyone know of any ??

Or any that arent gender ie) occupation, age etc etc

Thanks in advance

I'm not sure about gender specifically interacting with jury verdict...there are plenty of studies done on attractiveness interacting with jury verdict though. Sigall and Ostrove (1975) tested the hypothesis that physically attractive defendants will receive lighter punishments. They found that attractive people tend to receive lighter punishements unless they use their beauty as a means to their ends (e.g. fraud).
If you want to know any more about this study just ask :smile:

EDIT: have a look at the Yale Model of Persuasion aswell
Reply 5
Just a quick note about the title: Jury decide the verdict (Guilty/Not Guilty) Judge decides the sentence.

This ppt has some findings of studies listed on it, and this one is about age.

Other factors might be if the Defendant shows any remorse, the motivation (racial, drugs etc.) and if the Defendant was in a position of trust that they then abused.
No idea about studies for those ones though, just what I remember from AS Law!

Hope that helps

C-
Hannah_Jeffries
for my coursework i'm looking at the length of sentencing alters depending on the characteristics of the defendent...i've chosen gender but cant find any studies for my background research does anyone know of any ??

Or any that arent gender ie) occupation, age etc etc

Thanks in advance

Profesh has already alluded to this, but you may not have understood the implications. In Britain no defendant (other than in the case of defamation trials) is sentenced by the jury. There is some confusion between the title of this thread and the actual question asked, though, so you may not have meant to mention the jury.
Yah, sorry i didnt mean the jury, i just mean the things that may affect the length of sentence a person is given

Thanks for your help meg_lili

On the powerpoint it mentions Mulhausen (2004) his study seems relevant, i've got the results but not the method does anyone know ??

Thanks
Reply 8
No problem, and thank you for the rep (assuming it was you?!) :smile:
I don't know anything about Mulhausen, and couldn't find anything in my text book, but maybe you could email the person who made the slide and see if they know/can point you in the right direction? Worth a try if no-one else seems to know!

C-
Reply 9
ethnicity -duncan 1976?
Baby faced defendant
accent

Latest

Trending

Trending