The Student Room Group

Changing to medicine

I have a slightly lengthy and annoyingly detailed question. So if any one can help I will owe you big time!

Ok, when originally planning to apply to university I decided to try for medicine. I had ok grades at AS (Biology: A Chemsitry: A English Lit: B History:B Gen studies:B) and was predicted good grades for a medicine course at A level (AABB). I did relevant work experience, volunteered in a caring sector for over a year and took my UKCAT test, (the exam Manchester require) However I changed my mind at the last minute and applied for Biochemistry. I got offers and accepted my place at Manchester.
However then it all went a bit wrong. I got very ill and missed a large chunk (well most of) my spring and summer term and I sat my exams being very unwell. I don't mind explaining what was wrong with me, but at the moment I'd rather just write out my question as the medical side of it is a bit involved. Any way I was made aware that special consideration had been applied for and my Uni's had been informed by my school. It turns out they hadn't and I got grades well below what I had expected and so decided to take a gap year and reapply with special consideration and hopefully better A level grades. However I then become unwell again as my previous illness hadn't been diagnosed and so any chance of taking resits went out of the window. This time I was diagnosed and now am much better. I have now decided taking medicine is for me, after spending so much time in hospital and seeing doctors work from a patients point of view. I've made my mind up. I know my A level grades would mean I could not be considered but I was wondering whether first year performance and test results could be taken into account instead or accompanying the fact that had I not been ill my grades would have been better? I also don't even know whether medicine is a course that you can change on to? Of course I understand you would have to go through the interview process as well. I thought I'd ask and see if any one knows anything?

Thanks
x
Reply 1
I know of only a few places where they let you "change" to medicine (Newcastle, Southampton...) but that is only for a limited few doing biochem/biomed type courses. The competition is huge, and there is nothing to say that they have to take people if they feel that no-one is suitable. The people that are allowed to transfer have very very good grades in the first year of their course, and most of those will have to continue on their original course because they will not be accepted.

I'm confused from your post, are you currently at university or are you planning to go? If you haven't gone yet then you could possibly resit and have evidence of your special circumstances. If you are already at uni then you're possible looking at graduate entry medicine?
Reply 2
I am currently in a gap year, with a place confirmed at Manchester university for this September (to study biochemistry). I was intending to resit, but then became unwell again and spent a lot of time back and forth from hospital and this is an ongoing issue for the next few months.
I understand that graduate entry is another option, however I'm interested in pursuing any avenue that may mean I don't have to work for three years at a degree my heart is not in.
I understand the competition is fierce and I would need to enter as a year one medic, but I'd be doing something I truly wanted to do, so it would be of little consequence that I'd spent an extra year getting there. On the flip side I understand this can be applied to the graduate entry argument.
Reply 3
So really in essence, I wouldn't be looking to transfer, but to start a medicine degree based on my first year grades, to show I have the academic aptitude as well as my A level grades with extenuating circumstances and AS level grades and UKCAT, work experience and volunteering (which I would continue to do)
okay, the first thing to do would be to phone up manchester medical admissions and ask them if they accept transfers from other courses (specifically yours). i suspect they'll say no. what did you get at A level? do you have proper extenuating circumstances? if so, i'd ring up EVERY med school and explain to them and ask how they think an application from you would be received were you to spend next year doing resits for your a levels. see what they say and work from there. if you're planning on applyng in september, make sure you start getting more work experience now.
Reply 5
ems2812

I understand the competition is fierce and I would need to enter as a year one medic, but I'd be doing something I truly wanted to do, so it would be of little consequence that I'd spent an extra year getting there. On the flip side I understand this can be applied to the graduate entry argument.

You've answered your q there really. Those extra 3 years will be worth it if its something you want to do that badly.

It's extremely unlikely that you will be able to 'change course' to get onto medicine, considering the rigorous interviewing process.

You have two choices.
1) spend another year at college and pull your a levels back up to the grades you are capable of.
2) accept the place at manchester, do your 3 years in something which is VERY useful for a medicine degree. Trust me, having background knowledge in the field will help immensely if you then went on to do graduate medicine.

However, do not start this degree at manc and then drop out. It will make you look very bad.

Your choice really is also based on the financial aspect- i can guarantee going back to college for a year will be insanely cheaper than doing medicine the long way round. I'm dreading my debt at the end of my courses (that is if i get a place in medicine!)

Good luck
i'm not arguing with you, but how do you know how useful or otherwise the degree will be having not started a grad med course yet??
Reply 7
ems2812
I am currently in a gap year, with a place confirmed at Manchester university for this September (to study biochemistry). I was intending to resit, but then became unwell again and spent a lot of time back and forth from hospital and this is an ongoing issue for the next few months.I understand that graduate entry is another option, however I'm interested in pursuing any avenue that may mean I don't have to work for three years at a degree my heart is not in.

When you say 'unwell again' - you mean you were unwell during your A levels? If thats the case = extrenuating circ and unis will be much more accommodating.
Reply 8
bright star
i'm not arguing with you, but how do you know how useful or otherwise the degree will be having not started a grad med course yet??

My boyfriend studies medicine at Leicester. Because we are both interested in it, we talk about it a lot. I know for a fact that MOST (not all) do not teach anywhere near enough anatomy and students have to do a lot of reading around the subject to get a grasp on the concept. My degree therefore is definitely going to help me.

In terms of biochemistry, my bf does a LOT of modules relating to this, so if you already have advanced background knowledge to everyone else, you will do better- instead of learning the basics like everyone else, you will already know that so you can concentrate on more advanced stuff that the lecturers generally want.

Hope that made some sort of sense!
Reply 9
I do have extenuating circumstances, which if you are interested I would be more than happy to message you regarding them, my grades at A level were BBCC. I will be restarting volunteer work and gaining further medical work experience as soon as I am fit and able to.

I would have expected to be interviewed and not just be able to "switch". My focus on using my year one grades would have been to be considered as a case with extenuating circumstances, as Manchester state they accept people with to quote them "unconventional educational backgrounds", which would mean not the usual "transfer" that most medicine courses do not permit. I would have hoped to use the grades as evidence that my A level grades did not reflect my academic potential and my first year results did, as well as the supporting statement I have from my teachers at 6th form and then be considered as a candidate with full interview, screen process with personal statement etc from then onwards.

I understand I would really have to speak to the tutors once I start this September. I'm just trying to see if any one has ever been in a similar situation to myself. Obviously if this isn't possible then I will pursue the graduate medicine course.
Reply 10
Yes I was unwell during my A level year, as I think I wrote in my original post? I missed most of my spring and summer term and was unwell during my exams.
i don't think that counts as unconvensional background sorry. it's extenuating circumstances though. i would really advise having a big big phoning round session tomorrow. ask places if they'd consider your application then work from there. if you start that degree i doubt you'll be allowed to leave it for medicine under any guise but feel free to phone and ask them.

if it was me, i'd resit my a levels.
Reply 12
ems2812
Yes I was unwell during my A level year, as I think I wrote in my original post? I missed most of my spring and summer term and was unwell during my exams.

You diddn't tell your referee? Or your referee diddn't put it in the reference? Theres usually considerable leewat for people like you - some places even have special access and/or reserved interview spots for people with ext circumstances. You really should ask them directly before you apply for a course you don't want to do!
Remember that you'll have to resit your UKCAT if you apply for medicine next year (it's not just Manchester that need it in case you weren't aware).
Reply 14
What you've explained does count as a transfer, at least at Southampton anyway. You would also have to accept that if you weren't successful in your transfer (which is very possible) then you would be stuck on that course unless you chose to drop out.

Have a look at the Bradford course that offers people the chance to transfer to Leeds, but as people have said your situation would come under extenuating circumstances as long as you have the evidence to back it up.

Latest

Trending

Trending