Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey! Sign in for personalised advice on applying to uni New here? Join for free to post

What age makes you a mature student?

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    My sixth form said that when I join university in September I will be a mature student because I'll be 20. Now I'm aware that I'm not 18 like a lot of people going to university, but I assumed 21 and above was the age for mature student.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I thought it was 21...
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    It is 21. It doesn't make a difference to much though. Makes more of a different at Oxbridge because you have different options for colleges. At other unis it is 21, usually. It doesn't effect funding (it's independant status that does that).
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    21+, I'm pretty sure.
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    It's 21. I'll be 20 when I go, too.
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    21 or 26 for financial purposes.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    ^ That's the one. At 21 I was considered as a 'mature' student, but I won't count as an independent student in terms of student loans until I'm 25/26 (as I've not been living out of home for three years already).
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    pfft. Doesn't that mean technically you're a mature student when you graduate, as you graduate at 21? (not to mention longer courses and gap year students)
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jonnythemoose)
    pfft. Doesn't that mean technically you're a mature student when you graduate, as you graduate at 21? (not to mention longer courses and gap year students)
    It refers to when you start the course.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to turn 20 a couple of months after starting my course. I know i'm not going to be old at all and lots of people take a gap year, but it still feels a little weird.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Laus)
    It's 21. I'll be 20 when I go, too.
    Yep same!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    shush I'll be grey haired and 28!

damn you pesky kids.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by playford)
    shush I'll be grey haired and 28!

damn you pesky kids.
    Pfft to your greys! My boyfriend has grey hairs in his beard, and he's only 20.. greys mean nothing! :p:
Updated: January 22, 2008
New on TSR

Submitting your UCAS application

How long did it take for yours to be processed?

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.