The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

lol... not on thestudentroom.

Look at the "where are you applying thread":
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=9716820&highlight=where+are+you+applying+thread#post9716820

Only a handfull are applying to the ones mentioned above.

There has been a lot in the newspaper about people going to uni (espesh the lower rated ones) end up worse off than if they never went.
Sure they will have a great time, learn some interesting skills, and maybe some of them will get a postgraduate job.

Anyway, the point is that it is pretty obvious if you have the brains, that going to a good uni with a good rep will get you further in life. 3 years of living off baked beans to pay for it is worth it IMO :smile:
joeydeacon
I have a friend who works in recruitment, he will tell you that often work experience counts for more than a degree does. Someone who has been doing the job for 10 years is more likely to get an interview over someone who has just left Uni and is seeking employment.

If degres from Uni's such as Teesside don't count for a lot, why do 22,000 students choose to study there?

You have a point there about work experiences. But work experiences aside, if you compare a graduate from somewhere prestigious with a graduate from somewhere not so prestigious, I think the one with the degree from the more prestigious uni would have better job prospects.

I'm not saying degrees from lower end unis don't count for a lot, of course they do. I'm just saying that when compared with degrees awarded from unis a lot higher up the rankings, they just sort of .... pale in comparison. And I'm guessing maybe half of those 22,000 students that chose to study at Teeside because the university offers a lot of vocational courses that aren't available at unis which are more prestigious?

*Han*
I think it must be quite hurtful for members on here who have applied to places such as Teeside and Thames Valley and see people implying they're awful places.

I'm sorry if I offended anyone! :redface: I just used these as an example. Please don't hate me. :p:
Saturday Night Special
^ Just as you have your criteria for what you feel is important in a university, so do others. Prestige can influence a lot, future job prospects, future education prospects, prestige of the uni is often (not always) linked to quality of the course.

well said. :biggrin:
I was in no way making a value judgement about the quality of Teesside uni or the people that apply there.

Looking merely at the construction of the arguement, the author is implying that 22,000 people attending Teesside University is sufficient evidence that it doesnt have poor pretige/employment prospects, as they wouldnt have choosen it otherwise. The problem with this arguement is it fails to acknowledge there may be other reasons for people attending said university.

Lizzielizard
well said. :biggrin:

I’m really not sure as to where this whole argument stemmed from :smile:, I was not at all suggesting that prestige above and beyond the discriminating factor in picking one’s uni/s. In fact referring to my original post I gave the OP a list of many different criteria by which one could pick a uni, and merely as an anecdotal aside, commented that out of those I felt prestige was important.

Furthermore I like to think of prestige as an umbrella term, it doesn’t only discuss the historic reputation of the university, in my opinion prestige means the reputation, quality of teaching, quality of that particular course at the particular uni.
Lizzielizard
You have a point there about work experiences. But work experiences aside, if you compare a graduate from somewhere prestigious with a graduate from somewhere not so prestigious, I think the one with the degree from the more prestigious uni would have better job prospects.

I'm not saying degrees from lower end unis don't count for a lot, of course they do. I'm just saying that when compared with degrees awarded from unis a lot higher up the rankings, they just sort of .... pale in comparison. And I'm guessing maybe half of those 22,000 students that chose to study at Teeside because the university offers a lot of vocational courses that aren't available at unis which are more prestigious?

I'm sorry if I offended anyone! :redface: I just used these as an example. Please don't hate me. :p:

I'm not offended.

I am actually studying at Teesside as of September, I chose that Uni along with 4 others (received offers from all 5) for different reasons. re: Teesside the course content is right for me personally along with being partly practical, rather than purely theoretical. I know from experience (ie what friends/relatives have told me) that pratical courses often put you in a better position for employment, as you're better applied to do the job once you have graduated. Also, they have a min intake 40% of mature students as far as I'm aware. Being 31, I'd rather be around people of a similar age. That's just a personal preference, I have more in common with people over 25.
Reply 45
Imperial is no.5 in the world!! and its in kensington, you'll have an amazing time. my friend does medicine there, he loves it!!!!
Reply 46
I don't get this ! wat is the difference between someone who got a medicine degree at a prestige uni and someone that got medicine degree in a less known uni and both have the same grade? why it's the popularity of the uni so important? would you assume that if two A level students from different sixth form got the same grades say A, would u say one is smarter than the other one, becos one studied at a very known private school and the other studied in a state school?
Reply 47
in a situation where you had to compare two students, one at private other at state to be honest id probably say the state school person is more clever because private school education is on a different level.

Medicine, i dont really know, i guess its harder to get into medicine at imperial then it is in somewhere like leicester, maybe.
netuser07
I don't get this ! wat is the difference between someone who got a medicine degree at a prestige uni and someone that got medicine degree in a less known uni and both have the same grade? why it's the popularity of the uni so important? would you assume that if two A level students from different sixth form got the same grades say A, would u say one is smarter than the other one, becos one studied at a very known private school and the other studied in a state school?

In some respects people are going purely off prestige here. With courses such as Psychology for example (which I will be doing come Sept), if you were to do your research properly you would find that there's really no point wasting 3 years of your life unless the degree is accredited by the BPS. Ok, course content does vary from uni to uni, but they all have to follow a set syllabus to be accredited, so you're really not worse off going to Uni you would feel more comfortable going to, over a prestige uni that you really don't want to go to. No doubt someone will reply will 'well such and such don't offer psychology anyway'... I don't think people such be swayed by this when making their decision.. people should go to a Uni which is right for them.