The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

Manchester or Bath for Politics and IR

Hey all! I've been reading several topics about politics and both unis, but I don't really know where to go. I have offers from both Bath and Manchester.

I want Bath because I have the placement year (4 years) and because it is said to be very good at Politics, but Manchester is supposed to have beter employment prospects. Does it matter that Manchester is part of the Russell group and Bath isn't?

What do employers think about Bath graduates? Which of them would look better when applying for PhD at Cambridge?

Is accomodation for second year hard to find and expensive?

Last, but not least, can I find part-time work while studying in Bath rather than in Manchester?
Thank you.
do you not think you'll get a biased answer by posting on the manchester forum...
... i say go for manchester :rolleyes:
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Reply 2
I've put it on Bath, too. Guys, I'd appreciate if you could answer some of my questions above.
Reply 3
Accommodation is pretty easy to find, you can share a house with a group of friends for about £70 a week.
Reply 4
i hv politics with economics at bath (AAA) and economics and politics at manchester (AAB) but i would rather go for manchester since it has a busier lifestyle and obviously uve better chances to get internships already in the city.. bath seems to be a pretty rural place, i mean ok if u want to study only, but if u want to start building ur career at uni already by networking and such, then i d advise to go for manchester.
Reply 5
aivilo
i mean ok if u want to study only, but if u want to start building ur career at uni already by networking and such, then i d advise to go for manchester.

not necessarily though as it may be a bit easier to build contacts at Bath during the placement year.
Reply 6
narc
not necessarily though as it may be a bit easier to build contacts at Bath during the placement year.

yeah but isnt that then 4years? if u have a placement year. in addition, the uni of manchester is known to have one of the best careers services in the country, if not the best. i just visited the open day, got some facts and figures haha.
Reply 7
Well, I'm at Bath now and it's amazing. I've had some difficult times during the first couple of months, because, honestly, I think there are more international students at Manchester and if you are an inter. student you might have some difficult times in finding some buddies in the beginning, but everything will be fine. There are some amazing sports facilities if you;re keen on doing ANY kind of sports and there are loads of societies you can join. Academically, it's ok. I suppose it's about self-study a lot, but I'm studying Politics with IR, so, it's all about reading individually I suppose. The city is absolutely wonderful. Really! and very safe. I mean, there are bus services until 3 am in the morning from the city centre to the uni and even if you're a girl, by yourself, you don't have to worry about any kind of problems. If you need extra information, just let me know! :goodluck:
happy_kid
Hey all! I've been reading several topics about politics and both unis, but I don't really know where to go. I have offers from both Bath and Manchester.

I want Bath because I have the placement year (4 years) and because it is said to be very good at Politics, but Manchester is supposed to have beter employment prospects. Does it matter that Manchester is part of the Russell group and Bath isn't?

What do employers think about Bath graduates? Which of them would look better when applying for PhD at Cambridge?

Is accomodation for second year hard to find and expensive?

Last, but not least, can I find part-time work while studying in Bath rather than in Manchester?
Thank you.

Hello!

This is my first post,excuse my English, I am not perfect at it,as I haven't started my studies yet.

I will most likely get offers from both of these unis.I haven't applied yet though,but I would choose Manchester over Bath.

Whilst Bath is ranked higher than Manchester in a couple of British rankings,that still cannot compare with some other facts:

THES ranks Manchester at 29th overall,in the world

RAE 2008 results gives Manchester 5th place in the UK

Manchester is among top 3-5 unis targeted by most employers

Another thing I want to add,to all this,is Machester's plans for 2015,they aim to become top 25 uni in the world,so Manchester have a clear plan,for reaching their goal.
As I can see it,Machester will be even better 3-5 years from now.

Whilst Bath are still really good,the only edge they have over Machester are British rankings,but Manchester is beating them clearly in world rankings,British research rankings,and number of employers targeting the university,whilst at the same time,having a clear plan of becoming even better by 2015.
Reply 9
Well, even if you might say all that about Manchester, you forgot to say about graduate students from Bath that, generally, have already worked one year in their chosen industry, so they have more experience in the field. You might be right about the fact that everybody has heard of Manchester, but, at the same time, success depends on your subject and Bath is way much better at some subjects than Man.

Moreover, to be honest now, if you're a good student...it doesn't really matter if it's Bath or Manchester. you'll then have to look at your social life, because if you want loads of fun, you go to Manchester.
So, good luck!
Yes,I know that Bath graduates can get some work experience,but that depends on what you would prefer,getting some work experience,or rather taking a Master's degree,both things take four years combined.

Yes,subject quality is important too,you mentioned Politics and IR.

According to THES,which is a well known ranking,gives Manchester 66th place for Social Science,whilst Bath is at 234th.

But,I agree with you,that if you are a good student,then it won't matter anyway,and as I already mentioned,Bath is really good,I just pointed out how excellent Manchester is too.

Latest

Trending

Trending