The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

BIOCHEMICAL TESTS:

Blood tests or urine tests. Accurate, but expensive, inconvenient. Urine and blood samples are accruate ways of checking on compliance but a patient could easily take the required does just before the appointment with the doctor. Also one has to take account of a patient's metabolism or biochemical response to the prescribed drugs.
IMPROVING ADHERENCE

KEY EVIDENCE

KULLICK AND CARLINO 1987

Aim: To investigate whether promising to take medication improves adherence.

Method: Experiment

Sample: Children

Procedure: Children were randomly allocated to two conditions. In the first condition children were asked to promise to take their medication. In the second condition children did not promise to take their medication. 10 days later the childrens parents were interviewed and urine tests were conducted on the children to ascertain whether they had adhered.

Findings: Children who promised to take their medication were significantly more likely to have adhered.

Conclusion: This suggests that the way the health worker interacts with their patients is important if the patient is going to adhere. This approach could be tailored to other types of compliance by involving family members in the process. These findings can be explained using the concept of Cognitive Dissonance. Cognitive dissonance is a psychological term describing the uncomfortable tension that may result from having two conflicting thoughts (cognition) at the same time or engaging in behavior that conflicts with one's beliefs.
OTHER WAYS TO IMPROVE PATIENTS COMPLIANCE

1. Provide more information about the drugs and the treatment.
2. Get the doctor to improve communication and to be warm and sensitive
3. Get the patient to ask more questions so that they get more information
HEALTH PSYCHOLOGY

LIFESTYLES AND HEALTH BEHAVIOUR

GLOSSARY OF TERMS

Type A personality
: A personality type associated with stress.

Motivated reasoning: Our tendency to search for information to support our behaviour and avoid or discount information that contradicts our behaviour.
KEY EVIDENCE

WEINSTEIN 1982,1987

Method: Self-report/survey

Procedure: Weinstein assessed how optimistic participants were about their health. He asked people to rate how likely they were compared to people of their own age and gender to develop several lifestyle related diseases such as heart disease, diabetes etc.

Results: He found that 75% of people underestimate their chances of developing lifestyle related diseases (they believed they were less susceptible than others to developing any disease).

His conclusion: Weinstein identified 4 cognitive factors which affect peoples optimistic belief:

1. the belief that if the problem has not yet appears, one is exempt from future risk

2. the perception that the problem is preventable by individual action (i can avoid heart disease by exercising.

3. the hazard itself is infrequent

4. lack of experience with the hazard

Our conclusion
: People make poor lifestyle choices because they don't think the problems will happen to them, or they dont care of the consequences.
Reply 25
SO
how did everyone find it?
Reply 26
mahi_ve
SO
how did everyone find it?

i think i am a very good question predictor lol.

section A was alright but section B was a terror for me especially the evaluation bit.
Reply 27
I said the same haha...even though I did not want Stress to come up.. good thing I had the choice to pick Health and promotion instead.
I think it went pretty well overall. not as bad as I was thinking.

w000t. =p
Reply 28
mahi_ve
I said the same haha...even though I did not want Stress to come up.. good thing I had the choice to pick Health and promotion instead.
I think it went pretty well overall. not as bad as I was thinking.

w000t. =p

hahaha you done health promotion. i done the other one i cant remember lol and adheence to medical advice
Reply 29
Never Give Up
hahaha you done health promotion. i done the other one i cant remember lol and adheence to medical advice

man stress was hard with all the theories :frown: ...and it was the first option in section A so I am like "wow this paper does not look good" ..than I read all of it and actually said out "yesss!" ..haha oh well..didn't matter, I was the only one in the exam room with the invidulator. she was like..okaaaaay. ;P

adherence was an easy one. so many studies to choose from. weeheee.

Latest

Trending

Trending