The Student Room Group
Reply 1
well they collaborate you're AS into the A2 if it's the same subject, however if you have only done an AS in a subject...that AS grade goes towards it.

unless they specify otherwise, it's A2's and AS levels if you have any on their own.

so say you did Biology, Psychology and Computing, but you only did one year of Computing, and you get AAB.

you're A2 points from Biology and Psychology would be 240 (I think) and then you have like 60 points (maybe?) from your AS computing, so that makes 300 points. :smile:
Reply 2
squeak
well they collaborate you're AS into the A2 if it's the same subject, however if you have only done an AS in a subject...that AS grade goes towards it.

unless they specify otherwise, it's A2's and AS levels if you have any on their own.

so say you did Biology, Psychology and Computing, but you only did one year of Computing, and you get AAB.

you're A2 points from Biology and Psychology would be 240 (I think) and then you have like 60 points (maybe?) from your AS computing, so that makes 300 points. :smile:

Yeah it's this.

More info here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/UCAS_Tariff

For example 300 points could be BBB or BBDc, etc.
Reply 3
SBP
OP
ok, so say right now i've got 160 points [i know, not the best grades :redface:]
in order to get into one of my unis i need 300 points...so does that mean i only need to get another 140 points i.e. at least 2 B's?

or did i completely get the wrong end of the stick?!

:confused:
Reply 4
SBP
OP
oh cheers, will take a look at that :smile:
Reply 5
SBP
OP
right ok i get it now.
i thought it would be a bit too easy just to get 2 B's :P
Reply 6
it works like this
for AS an A is 60 points B 50 points and so on (down in 10 for each grade)
For A level full (AS adnd A2) it is 120 points for an A 100 for a B and so on...

Therefore if you did 3 A levels and one AS and got BCCc that would be 300 points, its 300 points in any combination but they may say u need a mininum of 2 A levels
If you post your actual AS grades and subjects along with the subjects you're continuing to A2, we'll be able to tell you exactly what grades you need to get - just in case you're still confused. :smile:
Reply 8
I'm sure Exeter didn't want to know about my D in Computing when I rang them up during Clearing... I still think I was 10 points short, which is extremely annoying, but eh, that's life.
Reply 9
SBP
OP
*ellen marine*
If you post your actual AS grades and subjects along with the subjects you're continuing to A2, we'll be able to tell you exactly what grades you need to get - just in case you're still confused. :smile:

that would actually be really helpful, and probably easier than figuring it out myself!

AS
Law - B
English Lit - C
Geography - C
ICT - D

A2
Law
English Lit
ICT - do not ask me why :smile:
Reply 10
shilbill
that would actually be really helpful, and probably easier than figuring it out myself!

AS
Law - B
English Lit - C
Geography - C
ICT - D

A2
Law
English Lit
ICT - do not ask me why :smile:

Ok, so the only subject you've dropped at AS is Geography, so you'd get 40 points from that.

Meaning you need to get 260 points from your three A2, which could be BCC, BBD, ABE.
Just email the Uni admissions and ask.
Reply 12
SBP
OP
oh i see, well that clears a lot of confusion up!

Yeah.. sorry - I haven't been back here since last night! But what Rhys said was right, so you have your answer already. Quite often they'll stipulate something like "with a B in Maths and a B in Physics", so you'll have a clearer picture of what you should be getting - but by the looks of it, they don't have any requirements regarding specific subjects and specific grades. :smile:
Reply 14
Does the uni not usually state 300 points from 3 A levels or something.

I have only one offer that says anything on points: Birmingham said:

AAB including Chem, Maths and either FM or Phys:

Or 340 Tariff points in 3 subjects listed above to include minimum B grades
Mathematics and Chemistry
Reply 15
SBP
OP
IChem
Does the uni not usually state 300 points from 3 A levels or something.

I have only one offer that says anything on points: Birmingham said:

AAB including Chem, Maths and either FM or Phys:

Or 340 Tariff points in 3 subjects listed above to include minimum B grades
Mathematics and Chemistry

They usually do, but this one university asked for:

This offer is subject to you obtaining
A minimum of 300 UCAS Tariff points

of which 200 points must be obtained from 2x6 unit awards or 1x12 unit award

excluding General Studies

But, no problem now because I know what I need to get :smile:

Latest