The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Does your college have any books you can borrow? Maybe try the maths departement for Mechanics books, as thats a module for most maths A-Levels.
Reply 3
It's a very good physics textbook, is very thorough, and you should certainly be able to do very well with it. You may want to look at borrowing it from the library first to see if it's really for you - i.e.: you like the style, understand the content, etc.
Can't say i've ever used that book.

I found that Letts AS + A2 revision guide has helped me so far. I'm just starting module 5 + 6 in A2 and its been a godsend. Everything i get taught is just explained much more clearly and concisely in it :smile:. It's not as young looking as CGP, gets to the point a bit more and you don't feel about 5 looking at it.

I'd throughly reccomend it :smile:.
Reply 5
I have that book. I'm not a fan of it. If I had a deeper interest in physics, I probably would like it more but it's so daunting when it's so huge and you don't really know where to begin. Also, it covers the entire of AS and A2 and is not in an order specific to the AQA A syllabus. If you really enjoy physics, I would say go for it. Otherwise the book that blahbloo suggested is probably what I would go for.
Reply 6
The one Blahboo reccomended is a great book. It's my bible for AS and A2 physics, it covers anything you'll ever need, a lot of the examples in the book come up in the exam questions as well. Tis super.
Reply 7
Is the Letts AS + A2 Revision guide better than teh CGP one?
Reply 8
I never tend to use the Letts or CGP books. They're not very good...
Reply 9
Yeha, they're ****e, particuarly CGP. If you're doing A levels you need a proper textbook a la the Collins one Blahboo reccomended.
I have to say, I found the Letts one invaluable last year - and was very helpful leading up to this mornings exam as well!
CGP was great up till GCSE, but now I find them a bit too immature, skipping the tricky details, and not well labelled enough for what each specification needs to know.
The Letts one is well signaled for what board and syllabus each bit of info is for, has a nice coloured layout, which helps me when revising. It has worked examples and practice questions and nicely phrased definitions.

I vote letts!!
Reply 11
That Physics Collins one is specifically made for AQA A, can't beat that really. It's spot on the money.
Reply 12
01rorlin
That Physics Collins one is specifically made for AQA A, can't beat that really. It's spot on the money.

Ive seen that book. Its actually horrible for my spec. It has loads about diffraction - which we dont need (apart from electron diffraction) and loads about progressive waves and such which we really dont need and it doesnt have much about photoelectric effect etc.
Reply 13
Sounds like you've read the A2 book instead of the AS.

Also photoelectric effect is easy :P
Reply 14
btw, which school do you go to Toffy?
Reply 15
Im in Newcastle under lyme not Upon tyne :P
Reply 16
I also recommend the book Blahboo suggested. I started the course 8 weeks in and it's been helpful. See if your school sells it for cheaper than the Amazon price as well, as mine sells them for £20.
Reply 17
Our school gives us them for free :biggrin:
Reply 18
I don;t think I like you anymore 01rorlin :hmmm:
Reply 19
Aw but I love you :P

We get the Biology and Chemistry ones as well, so invaluable.

Latest