The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Nah.
Reply 2
No, don't be silly: p Move on with your life and take teh hint. I got my "rejection" conformation letter today......as if i needed to be reminded!Lol. It's not like i'm going to be a hobo when i'm older!
Reply 3
It amazes me how so many people who are "passionate" about their subjects would gladly throw a year away which they hadn't planned to take off in the first place, delaying their study of their supposed "passion", merely to study at a slightly "better" uni.
HCD
It amazes me how so many people who are "passionate" about their subjects would gladly throw a year away which they hadn't planned to take off in the first place, delaying their study of their supposed "passion", merely to study at a slightly "better" uni.

It depends. If I hadn't got in, I probably would have taken a gap year - I was undecided for a while anyway whether or not I wanted to take one, and so not getting into Oxford would probably tip the balance for me. I also thought that if I didn't get in it might well be because I wasn't knowledgeable or well-read enough, and that's obviously something a year out could change.

In my opinion it can be a reasonable course of action, it all depends on exactly what your circumstances are.
Reply 5
Ah, but you had considered taking a gap year in the first place, rather than just doing it for another pop at Oxford. Otherwise, unless there's something particularly different about the course at Oxford/Cambridge, there's really no point in reapplying.
I reckon it's only worthwhile reapplying if you know there's some aspect in which you went fundamentally wrong. For example, if your feedback says "A-levels were great, personal statement was great, but you really shouldn't have sneezed in the interviewer's face", then you know what to work on for next time. If, however, you just get the generic "We have a lot of applicants of a very good standard, and unfortunately we did not have places enough for everyone" feedback, then how will you know what to improve for next year's admissions cycle?
Whilst I'm quite in agreement that one shouldn't re-apply purely for the Oxbridge name, one shouldn't be scared of doing so if you have good enough reason. I had a crisis of confidence over what I wanted to study in UVI (as I had done about a million times before applying) and I'm pretty sure now that if I'd gone with my original choice, I'd have regretted it (even if I hadn't got into Oxford). Even if you're not sure what went wrong first time, there's always pretty obvious ways you can improve yourself as a student.
*ellen marine*
I reckon it's only worthwhile reapplying if you know there's some aspect in which you went fundamentally wrong. For example, if your feedback says "A-levels were great, personal statement was great, but you really shouldn't have sneezed in the interviewer's face", then you know what to work on for next time. If, however, you just get the generic "We have a lot of applicants of a very good standard, and unfortunately we did not have places enough for everyone" feedback, then how will you know what to improve for next year's admissions cycle?

God, could you imagine? You keep all your work up, blitz your A levels, get ready to reapply, get an interview...then start to get the sniffles around November time...:s-smilie:
I'm reapplying. Unless, ofcourse, my A Levels don't go to plan. My feedback said my pre-interview test was good, my written work was good, my reference was good and that I was a strong prospect for interview.

I managed to entirely screw up my first interview by writing down the wrong time, turning up late, panicking and thus talking nonsense for 20 minutes. Throughout the whole process I was, and still am, fully convinced I was good enough to get a place - having not done myself justice in the interview I can't see a good reason for not reapplying.

Plus, the prospect of travelling around the world with friends for 6 months doesn't seem that bad to me!
Reply 10
JW
I'm reapplying. Unless, ofcourse, my A Levels don't go to plan. My feedback said my pre-interview test was good, my written work was good, my reference was good and that I was a strong prospect for interview.

I managed to entirely screw up my first interview by writing down the wrong time, turning up late, panicking and thus talking nonsense for 20 minutes. Throughout the whole process I was, and still am, fully convinced I was good enough to get a place - having not done myself justice in the interview I can't see a good reason for not reapplying.

Plus, the prospect of travelling around the world with friends for 6 months doesn't seem that bad to me!

Just bear in mind: Number of places ≤ Number of people good enough to get places
Yeah, given my performance in the first interview I didn't deserve a place. If I get rejected a second time I know i'll be happy wherever I end up - I just feel i'll regret it if I don't give myself another chance.
jonnythemoose
God, could you imagine? You keep all your work up, blitz your A levels, get ready to reapply, get an interview...then start to get the sniffles around November time...:s-smilie:

Ooh, you'd be furious, wouldn't you? Still.. I suppose at least you'd be better prepared, and would hopefully have a handkerchief and some Vicks to hand, hee hee. If you weren't better prepared the second time round, I think that would be conclusive proof that you never deserved a place at all. :wink:
Reply 13
I was in the same boat as JW last year (screwed up interview, although actually my feedback was generic), and I really wanted to go.

I never really wanted to take a gap year, but I reapplied, turning down LSE and Durham, despite people warning me not to, and I now have an unconditional offer.

I would say go for it if you're confident you underperformed, and if you can train yourself to view the reapplication as a shot to nothing, a last-ditch attempt against the odds (even if this is not realllllly the case) - this way there won't be as much disappointment in the event of a second rejection.
Reply 14
It's one of the many things I'm considering at the moment, yeah.

The feedback I got today essentially said that my written work was sub-par, and my interview wasn't helped by some obvious nervousness and lack of enthusiasm. On the other hand, my performance in the E&M test was, apparently, really rather good. So I figure if I were to take a year out I could get some interview practice etc and read around my subject area to a much greater depth, and hopefully be able to write some better essays and come across better in the interview.

Being so stressed with exams and coursework at the moment, I also really like the idea of having a gap year, away from education as a whole for a little while.
i'm thinking of reapplying, but my LSE offer has complicated things somewhat.
Reply 16
i only reapplied when i missed my offer because i didnt get into my second choice either and clearing was rubbish last year, literally nowhere i even considered going to.

i wouldnt have reapplied otherwise, it would have been leeds for me quite happily. :smile:

having said that, i have had a great year out and was successful again and i really feel like ive grown more as a person. but i still dont think id take a year out on the basis of an oxford failure.
My UCAS mentor seems to think I should reapply, and perhaps that extra year would be really valuable to me.. after all I'm one of the youngest students in the year. It'd be great to get some real-world experience. The thing is, although I'd be happy enough to go to Durham [IF they gave me a second offer.. again, it's a gamble], I'm terrified of rejection a second time and I'm worried about taking a year out for Maths/Physics. I've so far not heard of anyone who reapplied for these subjects as apparently the colleges aren't too keen =/

How did you guys get feedback on your application?
I emailed the college on the day of my letter, but they didn't even reply to me.
TheRandomer
I'm terrified of rejection a second time and I'm worried about taking a year out for Maths/Physics. I've so far not heard of anyone who reapplied for these subjects as apparently the colleges aren't too keen =/

There are people on here with offers for Maths at both Oxford and Cambridge, applying post A-level, so it can definitely be done.

In addition, I know that Queens' College Cambridge are very enthusiastic about gap-year applicants for maths, far more so than other colleges seem to be.
Hashshashin
There are people on here with offers for Maths at both Oxford and Cambridge, applying post A-level, so it can definitely be done.

In addition, I know that Queens' College Cambridge are very enthusiastic about gap-year applicants for maths, far more so than other colleges seem to be.

Thanks for the info :smile:
I'm gonna speak to a whole bunch of teachers on Monday I think.

Latest

Trending

Trending