1) Was pretty okay. Most of the stuff I already knew, and it was all in the text book and even in MTG (Make the Grade)
2) I didn't know what it oxidised to so I put no reaction for the first two (X & Y) but I left Z's blank. The reactions on the next page : I don't remeber the first one but the second one was CHI3 and RCOONa. I don't remember the third one either
3) I didn't really know what the rxn mixture was cooled rapidly so i made up something. I got the Kc value by assuming [I2] = [H2]. Kp was 64 (exact), no units.
4) I got -186 Kjmol-1 for the enthalpy of formation. Rest of the question was quite good as I had prepared for those type of questions.
5) I got the conjugate pairs but mucked up the definition of acid - it should've just been something like 'An acid is a proton donor' but I wrote 'A solution where [H+] > [OH-]'. I got the concentration of acid as 0.010... but I couldn't really explain why pH was greater than 7. I got the buffer solution's pH as 5.06.
6) I knew the zwitterion structure but I messed up the rxn with OH-. I guessed the acid chloride rxn right but messed up one with alcohol. The chiral center and the two monomer units were fine.
(Original post by calumtm)
It was an OK exam, but i thought i did well enought to get A/B.
And the A boundry is 54?!? I thought it was bang on 80% everytime and was expecting to have to get 60 marks for an A.
54/75=72% for an A? Is that right?
i also thought that it was 80% to get an A. Does anyone know for sure what the grade boundaries are? i just need a B and i screwed up on some of teh questions, so i think i'll have to resit .
i thought the exam questions were ok but for some reason i couldn't answer them properly, i just hope i did ok. but i didn't do some of the calculations and the organic questions were ones i wasn't expecting so i just made them up in the end
I remember having stated reactions for 2nd and 3rd parts of that question; for the 2nd part, I'd drawn a carb. acid, and for the 3rd, yet another carb. acid (since since the -OH group would have been oxidised?) although, now I think about it-perhaps I should have drawn an ketone instead?
what had you put for the question asking about the equil. concentration? I got a random 0.0026?
And, were any of your assumptions along the lines of: [H30+]=[CH3CH2COO-]; and that [CH3CH2COOH]initial=[" "]equil.?
Yea I got 64 (no units) for Kp as well. Can't remember how many marks there were for it. My assumptions were H30+]=[CH3CH2COO-] and that it was at 25 degrees celcius. Can't remember my buffer pH.. the zwitterion with H+ would produce H3N+ in the product and with OH, it would produce a COO- in the product. With the acid, it would produce NH3+Cl- in the product..(sorry if that doesn't make sense!)
No reactions with first two with ammoniacal silver nitrate, there is with the third.
Oh, I remember getting 0.01 concentration for something...
I think it's about 76% to get an A...read it somewhere in a mark scheme or something.. I also think the reaction cooling question is something to do with it being endothermic..wrote something about that in the exam..dunno if it's right or not.
The question about showing the amphoteric nature of al203- I think I gave the correct equation in showing it acting as a base, and state symbols- but I got the second equation wrong- how many marks do you think I would have got?