The Student Room Group

Career in film/TV

Hey!

Is having a film studies/media studies whatever degree important for getting a career in film or tv?

I've always heard negatively about it, but I'm just wondering if doing as much vocational work as possible to gain experience at my three years at uni (doing an anthropology degree) will be enough to get someone to hire me?

Fully prepared to work my ass off from the bottom of the ladder, by the way. I know I'm not instantly going to get into a nice cushy well-paid job.

Just wondering if I'd be hindered by not doing a film studies degree or having worked a lot in the industry as much as I could have done if I'd gone straight into it from school.

Does that make sense :confused: Apologies if it doesnt!!
Reply 1
I have a similar ambition to you, and I've been told by everone in the industry that the most sensible thing to do is a degree in something else, then a film school for a year. With a degree in another field you always have something to fall back on, at least! so get vocational experience etc. but doing anthropology is perfect! hope this helps.
Rams
Reply 2
Hiya; you can get into the TV/Film industry with any qualification really - it's important to get contacts/experience, but it depends exactly what role you want.

Media Studies degrees will give you knowledge ABOUT certain aspects of the media, and vocational media degrees such as mine will give you the practice/experience/contacts/knowledge to work practically within the industry; but you can get into the industry through other routes - particularly in a research position, for example.
Reply 3
That's great advice guys, thanks!!

I was thinking of doing as much work as possible in it at uni and then do a film school thing to get contacts etc afterwards (if i could afford it!). Im just worried about picking one with a good reputation that will give me what I need in experience etc.

A family memeber is a researcher at the BBC whose willing to take me down to have a look around, so maybe I might be enamoured with that career and have a go at that!!
I think with an anthropology degree that might work well.

Anyway thanks again!! Im just glad that I havent had the usual response which is 'why are you doing an anthropology degree when you want to work in film? why dont you do film studies?'
Reply 4
It's possible even if you don't have a degree in film/tv, when I went to a media lecture at a college all the speakers there (wide range of people from animation, graphics to radio) had degrees which weren't media or film.
Reply 5
LieDown
Hey!

Is having a film studies/media studies whatever degree important for getting a career in film or tv?

No.

I have two friends. One went to an alright university, got a 2:1 in Media and Communications and graduated two years ago. She is living on benefits and gets turned down for every job she applies for.

My other friend went to a good university and did a MSc in Physics. He started up a theatre and productions company at the uni, which turned into a roaring success. He then stayed on to do a doctorate while he researched more into the film industry. He gained qualifications on the side. Now he's working on feature length films and is looking at relocating to California. If everything went pear shaped, he'd still have a very good degree from a very good university to fall back on.
Reply 6
BlackHawk
No.

I have two friends. One went to an alright university, got a 2:1 in Media and Communications and graduated two years ago. She is living on benefits and gets turned down for every job she applies for.

My other friend went to a good university and did a MSc in Physics. He started up a theatre and productions company at the uni, which turned into a roaring success. He then stayed on to do a doctorate while he researched more into the film industry. He gained qualifications on the side. Now he's working on feature length films and is looking at relocating to California. If everything went pear shaped, he'd still have a very good degree from a very good university to fall back on.

That's kind of the kind of thing I was hoping to be doing (the latter, not the former)!! That would be my ideal career path.

Anyway thank you Black Hawk and sloth for the replies, once again I feel a more assured about the way I want to approach this.
Reply 7
Blackhawk

May you please disclose a bit of info about the Physician?

He gained qualifications on the side.

If you know, what qualifications?

And which good university did he go to please? I'm rather intrigued..
Reply 8
I don't know what qualifications, sorry. :frown:

He did make sure that he had a finger in every pie when he was at University, and made a lot of connections. When he finished he took a lot of unpaid work to get his name out.

He went to a university that is ranked in the top 5 on the Times University League Table. :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending