The Student Room Group

Wilkinsons

I was wondering if anybody worked at Wilkinsons and what your thoughts are on working for the company?
Also, how did you apply for the job and what was the application process like?

Thanks (Y)
I used to work for Wilkos.
Recently got made redundant tho as they weren't making enuf money to keep the part-time staff on =[
I thought it was pretty good working for the company, even though i did have some problems.
Like, they still haven't paid me wages for induction week, even though I told them loads of times.
So looks like i'm never getting that at all!!

Well, when I applied it was a new store opening, so they held this job fair thing where anyone could fill in an application and give it in.
The application form is pretty simple.
I think you have to write what you would bring to the business as one of the questions and what ur skills are.
And in the interview...i don't know if this is general for all wilkos interviews, but they didn't really ask me anything at all.
Just went over what I put on the application.
And they said they just want people who can talk to the customers and smiles a lot.
So if you get an interview, just be chatty, have a laugh and smile a lot.
Thats all I did.

And I tell u what the best part of working for them was...
Free toast and coffee/tea.
=]
Oh and you get a 13% discount card too.
Reply 2
Thank you :smile:

That was really helpful. I think Ill defo apply now (Y)
I work at Wilko :smile: a medium/large size store. I mainly work on the help desk and on tills.

It is actually quite good compared to other companies I've worked for (WH Smith, H Samuel, Currys & Next, yep I've been about!) My store pay £6.20 an hour aged 18+ and £5.65 under 18's...pay is WEEKLY which is very handy :biggrin: Sunday pay is double. Supervisors are really strict in keeping to breaks; I've never missed one in the 6 months I've been there and I always get my full break. If you work a full day you get two fifteen minute breaks and a full lunch hour; the other three companies I've worked for have barely given the hour lunch break! Hours are flexible and you may work completely different times every week, depends how many hours you will be working. When I had a problem with holiday pay, I rang up head office and they were very helpful and sorted it straight away. You also get 13% discount, a good holiday allowance and sick pay.

All of the other staff are friendly and have a good sense of humour-I think Wilkinson like to employ such people. There's nobody there I dislike or can't talk to. Admittedly, the main store manager is pure, sarcastic evil. But then again who likes their boss?

And yes! Free coffee, tea, squash, toast & biscuits :biggrin: you can't complain about that. Good Luck with the application and the interview...Let us know if you get it!
Reply 4
How did you apply there?
Download an application form and then take it to the store? (if so, where did you download it from?)
Escorcio
How did you apply there?
Download an application form and then take it to the store? (if so, where did you download it from?)

If they have vacancies, they'll normally have application forms behind the help desk. Just ask :smile: They don't do online applications for shop assistants, only for management.
Reply 6
Hi All,

I just completed today with wilkinson assessment center for their new store opening in edmonton green. It went really well and I thoroughly enjoyed. All the managers were really friendly and helpful.
But its far for me..I live in sutton. I would like to get this job.

My question is how long will it take to get back if I am through or not? Can I choose my timing of part time work and days or will they give me specified slot.

What will be the pay and read from some other comments that you do get induction training payment. If some one can please explain what exactly it is.

I am ready to work full time during weekends and not during weekdays because I have to take care of my kid (As my husband always travels for his work).

Please someone give me the informations on the above.

Thanks in advance!!!
Reply 7
I didn't have to apply, my boyfriend was giving up his saturday shifts and had reccommended me to Wilkinsons. I was then called in for an interveiw where they didnt ask that many questions to be honest I think there was just one which was, if I was the customer how would I expect to be served. I answered perfectly and the rest of the interveiw was talking about me and my interests. They were very chatty and lovely people, im glad I got the job and have my induction day today! :biggrin:
Did they call you on a private number by any chance? xx
Reply 9
I applied for a job a few years ago at for a new store. Grabbed a form from the job centre filled it In then went to hand it in at a recruitment day a week later and ended up having an interview like 2mins after walking in. Was a really quick and easy interview. I was then invited to an 'assessment centre' like a week later. Had a call a few days later offering me a job, but it was only temporary and if I hadn't been kept on I would've been without a job just before Christmas so had to turn it down :frown:
Original post by thatg
I applied for a job a few years ago at for a new store. Grabbed a form from the job centre filled it In then went to hand it in at a recruitment day a week later and ended up having an interview like 2mins after walking in. Was a really quick and easy interview. I was then invited to an 'assessment centre' like a week later. Had a call a few days later offering me a job, but it was only temporary and if I hadn't been kept on I would've been without a job just before Christmas so had to turn it down :frown:

I was temp staff, and I'm still there 10 months later. IF you perform well they keep you :smile:
Reply 11
is wilkinsons weekly or monthly pay?
Reply 12
I currently work at Wilko, i joined 2yrs ago as Temp staff and now im perminant and have even transferred stores due to uni, all hassle free, I get paid weekly on a 5hr a week minimum contract averaging about 10hrs a week, I can tell them which days I want to work and they're always great at sticking to that, for me I only work weekends and its great, both the stores I've worked at have had excellent teams and easy going Managers, I'd highly reccomend it.
anyone here could help me with their assesment please.

thanks
Reply 14
Hi,
I want to ask..I had a interview with Wilko, they called me after 1 hour to told me that I passed successfully my interview and my induction it will be after 2 weeks..
But just one question, they send you a letter with the date of induction etcc.. by post or not? Because I didn't receive anything..
Original post by Ayaat.1
Hi,
I want to ask..I had a interview with Wilko, they called me after 1 hour to told me that I passed successfully my interview and my induction it will be after 2 weeks..
But just one question, they send you a letter with the date of induction etcc.. by post or not? Because I didn't receive anything..

Hi @Ayaat.1,did you apply online? How did you find the application process? Congrats on getting offered an interview, I've applied many times and no reply or anything.

Also if your unsure of anything just give the store a call :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending