The Student Room Group

Piccadilly Point

i think this is the place for me.
anyone else applying for halls in piccadilly point?
cant wait. prices seem to have hoiked up to 109 this year on a 43 week lease starting on the 7th of september.
price includes utilities, internet and gym membership.
oh and im applying for international business at mmu.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Nope, the price is ridiculous.
Reply 2
Wow, that's expensive. I believe it is supposed to be nice but for the money you are paying, you could rent a pretty nice city centre flat with a flatmate.
Reply 3
yeah i know it is quite expensive. but the price doesnt really put me off.
im paying for a dead central location which is literally a street away from the mmu business school, with big ensuite facilities.
im off for a viewing on the 13th. gonna look at new medlock house and student village too, but i think i want to live in pic point.
anyone live there currently tell me what its like?
Reply 4
I live at piccadilly point and I absolutely love it. I mean it isn't the liveliest of halls but it is what you make it. We were the first to move in and we've had a great expierience because we all get on so well on our floor, we've made some brilliant friends. I've got a deluxe room and it's such a good size, the location is so perfect (even though I am at All Saints) and the views from the higher floors are views you would pay a hell of a lot of money for in proper apartments.
I'm paying £85 a week (because we were the first to move in) and yeah that sounds a bargain and sounds long way away from your £109 but when you add the internet and utilities and gym on top of my £85 I am still paying £102, so what you are getting is value for money!! I must admit it is really expensive and I can't afford to live here next year which is why I'm moving out, but we did get offered a deal of £95 a week inclusive of everything and at the time it seemed expensive but I didn't realise how much I was paying until it was too late.
If money is no object I would definitely live here again I love it so much, it feels like a proper home and I am going to be so sad when I move. I just wih I took that offer up when they offered it too us. Now I'm homeless for next year! because most of my flat mates are staying here.
Reply 5
Tell them you said you wanted a place for next year :p:
Reply 6
yeah i do now but i didnt at the time becaus eme and my flat mates were meant to be moving into a house and then a couple just booked piccadilly point again for next year and one said she was def moving in with me and i tried to get a house sorted for ages and then shes turend around and said shes staying in pic point and it's pissed me off cos if i knew everyone was staying I would have stayed cos the offer was so good, but now I just thinking of commuting next year. I feel like crying it's horrible. just make sure guys you get somewhere sorted for your 2nd of third year cos it's horrible when everyones got somewhere sorted and they've all left you out!
Reply 7
QueenC
I live at piccadilly point and I absolutely love it. I mean it isn't the liveliest of halls but it is what you make it. We were the first to move in and we've had a great expierience because we all get on so well on our floor, we've made some brilliant friends. I've got a deluxe room and it's such a good size, the location is so perfect (even though I am at All Saints) and the views from the higher floors are views you would pay a hell of a lot of money for in proper apartments.
I'm paying £85 a week (because we were the first to move in) and yeah that sounds a bargain and sounds long way away from your £109 but when you add the internet and utilities and gym on top of my £85 I am still paying £102, so what you are getting is value for money!! I must admit it is really expensive and I can't afford to live here next year which is why I'm moving out, but we did get offered a deal of £95 a week inclusive of everything and at the time it seemed expensive but I didn't realise how much I was paying until it was too late.
If money is no object I would definitely live here again I love it so much, it feels like a proper home and I am going to be so sad when I move. I just wih I took that offer up when they offered it too us. Now I'm homeless for next year! because most of my flat mates are staying here.

Hmm, a positive review, thanks.
Just when I started getting interested in MSV, too.
Are MSV and Picaddilly Point right next to eachother or did I hear wrong?
Also what is the gym like? And how big are the rooms in comparison to other places you've seen?
Reply 8
I think MSV and PP are no where near each other?

Queen C, I might be looking for a flatmate for next year.
Reply 9
Sorry, my mistake, MSV is accross the road from All Saints.
My google maps was playing up lol.
Reply 10
the rooms are a really good size, I paid an extra £2 a week for a deluxe room and it's brilliant, so much more room than a standard, but I've noticed now that they havent got the option of a double room. If you say in the application form that you want a larger room because you do an art course and you need the space then you should get one. I went in a 6 person flat and I had room F, which is the end room.
the standard rooms are a good size too, if you move your bed around (which all my mates have done) it creates even more room and all the beds at 3/4 (nearly double) which is awesome.
I never joined the gym because we had to pay an extra £50 but it's quite small and gets packed, so to be honest Im kind of glad I didn't join but it's included it your rent anyway so it doesn't make a difference. but it's got all the equipment you need and it's brand new stuff, really good quality and some of the equipement has tv's built into them.

ooh I've sorted out a house now i think too!!
Reply 11
someone asked me some question sbaout the place and heres my reply:

how long hs it been open for??
It's not even been open for a year, we were the first ones to move into it, so it's brand spanking new!

what are the rooms like;
the standard rooms are a good size and the deluxe rooms (which they havent specified this year, but I've got a deluxe room) are even better. the furniture is a really good quality and the beds are nearly double size and comfy, it feels more like a hotel than student digs plus the windows are double the size of most halls and I know this doesn't sound a lot but it makes a big difference. It's not cold at night either which is nice becaus eI know a lot of halls which are freezing. the bathrooms nice but it's small and everything is plastic, except from sink, toilet and taps and shower but its not horrible it just makes everything easier to clean. I love my room and I'm really sad to be moving out.

do they have any studios;
yep they have got studios which are lovely if you want to live on your own but if you want to meet people I honestly wouldnt live in them, I would just ask for a deluxe room because you have so much equipemnt for your course and you need the space. the studios are nice but it's like living in your kitching and cooking in your bedroom which I don't really like the idea of. but my mates have got studios and they said that they dont think they could go back to a normal room because you get so much more space.

price;
to be honest I think it is expensive, it is going to be £109 a week for a standard room (but ask for deluxe because they havent mention theyv got deluxe rooms) that price includeds everything, utilities, gym and internet which works out a couple of pounds extra than what we pay at the moment. thats the reast why I'm not staying is because of the price, at the moment we pay £85 a week but we have to pay £350 utilities, £50 gym and £112 internet so it works out as £102 a week, but the good thing about ours is that the gym and internet are optional whereas your price you dont get a choice. in december we got offered £93 a week for everything inclusive but at the time I wanted to live in a house so I didn't take up the offer, but my friends wisely did. and most of my friends are renewing their contract but with the new price I can't afford to live there next year so I've got to move out because that special offer has sold out otherwise I would have definitely stayed because I've decided I want to stay in halls, but saying that I might be moving into a house.
personally I think, if you can afford it, it is really good value for money because they are without a doubt the nicest and best quality halls within manchester. Iv got a lot of mature friends and they came over for new years and they said they couldnt believe how nice it was, it was more like a hotel and more like an apartment than student digs

what are the staff like; are they b s trds???
the staff are just plain weird to be honest. nah im only joking they are nice but they are slightly dody like when we signed the contracts and paid on the day of moving in we got told about our key cards and if we lose it or break it then we get one chance but after that we have to pay £20 but when mine got stolen they denied they ever said anything liek that (even tho this guy said it to about 20 students) and said that we had to pay £10 even though we are meant o pay £20. it's just unite and how they are, they are a very greedy company but saying that they are really good when it coms to maintainance and internet and say it's slow or something stopped working they replace and upgrade whatever it is and with the internet they'll do a diagnostic for free and all that

what would you give outa 10.
i would give the place 9/10 the only reason a 9 is because I cant afford to live there next year, it they had dropped the prices then I would have given it a 10. also we were meant to have a tescos and a bar in the retail space below us but we dont think they'll move in yet but by next year you wont even have to leave the place because you'll have a bar and a tescos!

likes and dislikes about the place? would you recomend it to others; are you going to renew ur contract (indiaction of - if its good or not)
I really love my room, im in flat 67 room F (deluxe room) I love my flat, we got put in with some really nice people and everyone I've spoken to say that they get on with their flat mates.
I love the fact the train station is a stones throw over the road
the fact theres a car park (which is cheap) across the road s great for when your friends come and stay. if you get a room facing the train station the views at night are incredible, it feels like your in a really expensive block of apartments because you can just see the city lit up, and the view from the otherside is great too! It really isnt far from oxford road, me and my friends found a short cut through manchester uni and under the mancuian way that gets you to all saints campus in 10 mins flat! quicker than waiting and getting the 50p bus (oh and to mention the bus, it is just beyond the cheap car park which is like 30 seconds away).
the only thing I would say I dont like is the ventilation system, the builders came in and whatever they did to it, they made it louder and it takes me a while to get to sleep. but from everyone i've spoke to, it seems im the only one is happened to, maybe im just a light sleeper. and the only other thing i don't like is that fact they've stuck the prices up, so i cant live there next year and the bar and tescos wasnt ready for us when we moved in.
Reply 12
Went back up to manchester today to focus on accomodation.
I had a look round New Medlock, MSV and Piccadilly point.
New Medlock was the first. I didnt really like its suroundings or where it was, I kinda ruled it out from there on in really.
Then I went to go have a look at MSV. It was quite nice. Close to the All Saints Campus (which isnt close to Aytoun where I will be) but central for all bars and clubs and shopping and stuff. The room I saw was a Grade 2 room, and was actually a lot bigger than I thought it would be. The walls werent as thin as I thought (after hearing terrible stories of people listening to their next door neighbour up to some shagging) and the kitchen was small, compact but pretty cool.
Then we went to go have a look at Piccadilly Point. Because its so new, it took us absolutly ages to find. Eventually after we found it (the biggest building on the other side of the train station, lol), we walked in, asked to see the room and were absolutly dumbstruck by the common room which we were standing in. Swanky furniture and sky tv, light and airy and had a really nice feel to it. Really nicely finished. We were already impressed. The guy then showed us round the show flat. The bedroom again was of a brilliant size and the bathroom was brilliant too. The Bed was a lot bigger than I thought it might have been. The kitchen and dining lounging mooching area was really nice and cosy too. Then he showed us the gym. Superb. We were so impressed that, 2/3 of my group (my other friend wants to go to aston but put MMU as insurance, (why would you choose aston over manchester?)) signed up whilst we were there, as we were warned about the numbers of flats which were left. Now just waiting for my contract to come through so I can pay my deposit, then I'm sorted :smile:

On 2nd viewing of Manchester, I loved it even more. What a city.
Brilliant day. :smile:
Reply 13
yep i told you, piccadilly point is awesome. i feel like I live in a hotel it's that nice. but I'm downgrading next year and moving to some proper studenty flats because 1) i catn afford it here, they're basically evicting me because they've shuvved the prices up that much & 2) I want to have money left over from my loan and be closer to my campus so I'm going to Ocean house which my mate lives in and it's decent, it's 5 mins from all saints (right near hulme tho :s-smilie: ) but it doesnt bother me cos it's £70 and that includes bills!

its been so hard for me though becuase I'm so used to living in a swanky plush room at pic point it's turned me into a reet snob! but I just figure, I'm a student and I'm not meant to be like this, being a student is all about slumming it and if I can save money and live it a decent flat then why not. but if i could afford pic point next year then I would live here again without a doubt. I am gonna bluddy miss it here!
Reply 14
Got my Tenancy Agreement through the post today.
Block B Flat 87 Room C. Living in a flat of 5. Myself, my best mate, some other random first year, a 2nd year and the last room is currently unfilled.
Start date of Tenancy is 7th September so I'm presuming thats the move in date.

Oh yes oh yes.
I have to say Unite seem to have been extremely organised and efficient so far. I rang up and asked how big my room was and they told me straight away and rang me last night to see if I had any questions.
Uber impressed thus far.
Reply 15
Sucks that your with a 2nd year:p:
Reply 16
Yeah, those pesky 2nd years.
I figure they will be the quiet one out of us lot (based on the assumption that they have lived there this year and have agreed the deal with piccadilly point for lower per week rents) because they arent staying with friends or going to a house with friends or anything like that.

I don't actually know what I'm going on about.
Reply 17
haah second years aren't quiet at all, they're still students!! and during freshers fortnight everyones a fresher lol!!
ooh sounds like you didn't get the end room, that's the deluxe room (one I've got) and you got block B, awww shame. Block A is way better!! :biggrin: ask if you can swap rooms to the deluxe room. no extra charge :smile:
Reply 18
How long does it take to get to the All Saint campus? Is there a direct bus route to the campus? Also, how long do you think before it's fully booked?
Reply 19
You can walk it in about 15-20 minutes

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending