The Student Room Group

maths mechanics vs discrete (decision) vs statistics

Was just a little hazy on the difference between the 3

mechanics - ? physics calculations or what
discrete - algorithms etc
statistics - graphs and other crap

also im picking computing, physics and chemistry along with maths, which would be the best side module? Ive picked mechanics but I sorta wanted to do discrete since I find it quite interesting

Thanks

Scroll to see replies

most people on TSR do not seem to enjoy the discrete modules.
Reply 2
I hate D1, mind many people find this easy and intresting as it's different!
D1 is about algorithms, linear programming, critical path analysis and graphs which were all new concepts to me.
M1 is much better than physics(I hate physics) you actually calculate forces by resolving etc
S1 is practical but boring, there is alot on correlation and probability
Reply 3
hsn
Was just a little hazy on the difference between the 3

mechanics - ? physics calculations or what
discrete - algorithms etc
statistics - graphs and other crap

also im picking computing, physics and chemistry along with maths, which would be the best side module? Ive picked mechanics but I sorta wanted to do discrete since I find it quite interesting

Thanks

Don't do Computing, it's ****.
i did enjoy M1 a lot more than my stats GCSE. And mechanics does compliment physics quite well, at least in that it makes a chunk of the course trivially easy.
jobo3
Don't do Computing, it's w**k.

Why is it :wink: ?

edit: part of physics i hate most (Although its starting to go) is mechanics hehehehehe at least if i get that extra practice it wont be so bad
Basic overview:
Mechanics is quite largely physics based. You use a lot of equations to solve different problems (I didn't really understand it)
Statistics can get tedious. It is basically finding correlation and probability.
Decision is probably the most boring but at the same time the easiest. Decision is basically algorithms - The most notable and tedious being number sorting.
I HATED STATISTICS! the content is easyish but the tests sometimes can be hard
Reply 8
hsn
Why is it :wink: ?

edit: part of physics i hate most (Although its starting to go) is mechanics hehehehehe at least if i get that extra practice it wont be so bad

Well I guess I'm bias because my teacher's rubbish, but the coursework's way too much work. It just isn't worth it, I do maths, further maths, and physics as well as it, at least for them I don't have to write 100 odd pages, I can just do the exams and get it done with.
In my opinion, Mechanics > Statistics > Decision.
I like the physics and problem solving element of mechanics.
jobo3
Well I guess I'm bias because my teacher's rubbish, but the coursework's way too much work. It just isn't worth it, I do maths, further maths, and physics as well as it, at least for them I don't have to write 100 odd pages, I can just do the exams and get it done with.

You've picked good subjects. :p:
jobo3

Going to be a bit stupid if i don't get a feel for computing now since I want to go on to do comp science/e-eng
S2 is a cool unit, its better and easier than M2!
Mechanics all the way.
Reply 14
Glutamic Acid
You've picked good subjects. :p:

Haha I know, I've read your sig before and thought 'ooo he does my subjects'. You know what you wana do after A levels yet?
mechanics is vile! stay away at all costs! go for d1 or s1!
jobo3
Haha I know, I've read your sig before and thought 'ooo he does my subjects'. You know what you wana do after A levels yet?

Heh, yeah. I'm intending to apply for maths and as for employment, I have no idea.:s-smilie: What are you intending to do (assuming you're in year 13) post A Level?
I'm doing both Maths and Further Maths, and I'm picking both stats and mechanics, apart from the normal compulsory core modules. From my experience and opinion I have concluded on the following upon stats and mechanics
Stats is definately not my subject, I am a more physics and mechanics oriented mind, so stats for me is like. ugh... I look at the pages and pages of numbers on the stats questions and I just feel dizzy, my mind keeps telling me don't do them questions, don't do them... :biggrin:, but well, I did manage with S1 in the end, and that's as far as I can go. Many people find it easy though, but the probabilities in some of them questions can get really tricky and confusing. Also, there is some debate as to which of those three modules are more useful to study like people say mechanics never applies to real situations you always have to assume this or that, whereas stats you can use to analyse real situation, like the effectiveness of a new drug ... as for me, I say choose whatever suits you best and whatever suits your future career best, I mean, medicine students obviously won't be doing M5, and it is really quite not sensible for mechanical engineering students to do S4
Mechanics is one of my favourite subjects, it makes you apply general physical knowledge and make some assumptions to solve some rather interesting problems. You'll be dealing most of the times with motion, and forces, but you have to really grasp the basic concepts before you can be good at it.
As for decision mathematics, I have no idea at all, didn't consider doing it and I think I never will :biggrin:,
So if you want to get an easy A level I suggest Stats is the best option, but if you like mechanics and problem solving, then go for mechanics... the choice is yours.. jeje
hope that helps
Reply 18
Glutamic Acid
Heh, yeah. I'm intending to apply for maths and as for employment, I have no idea.:s-smilie: What are you intending to do (assuming you're in year 13) post A Level?

Aye I am in year 13, I'll hopefully be doing Physics at Durham (as long as I don't mess my A levels up :s-smilie: )
jobo3
Aye I am in year 13, I'll hopefully be doing Physics at Durham (as long as I don't mess my A levels up :s-smilie: )

Sounds pretty good. (And I bet you won't mess your A Levels up. :smile: )

Quick Reply

Latest