The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
Reply 1
I do French atm, but will be in year 2 next year. So if you have any questions about French then I'm more than happy to answer them, unless it is just course mates you are looking for.
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
Reply 2
Lol it was more course mates than anything... I haven't found anyone else that's applied for this course yet :frown:
Reply 3
My neighbour does this course. She loves it!
i'm doing modern language studies and in the prospectus it said that the estimated intake was 25 i think but i swear there's way more of us than that! most of us spent week one together all the time going round trying to sort out our timetables, then had hardly any classes together for the first semester. but it seems like we're in more of the same classes now :-)
Reply 5
There does seem like there is far more of you than just 25!
Reply 6
Yeah, Modern European and Modern language studies are different though.

I have an offer for both courses but Modern European studies is my first choice. Still not found anyone else doing it though.
Reply 7
dans
There does seem like there is far more of you than just 25!

Tell me about it! I'm sure there are more than 25 places available on the course!
Reply 8
Yeh, I think those figures in the prospectus are just estimates as I am sure that there are far more of us doing Management with French than was in the book.
you don't really need to look for people doing Modern European Studies, just anyone doing the same individual subjects as you, as, like I said, I hardly had any classes with MLS students last semester. It just depends on which classes you're in. So if you're just looking for people you might have lectures with etc. then just look for people doing the same individual languages as you. Have you use yougofurther.com ? I'm friends with a few people I met on there.
Reply 10
This course is my insurance for starting in 08 :biggrin:
Reply 11
ange de la nuit, thanks for the advice :smile: So if I look for people doing history, french and spanish i'll be talking to people who'll be in my lectures?

vizor... yay! What's your firm?
Reply 12
My firm is Birmingham
Reply 13
Cool, any particular reason? :smile:
Reply 14
Yeah, was going to ask the same thing! :p:
yep. well, ok, chances are with french yes they will be in your lectures, as there are two a week, and you go to one or the other, so you'll have a 50% chance of being with them. oral classes have around 8 people in and workshops about 30, and you sign up for these on a noticeboard and anyone doing french can request to be in any class, you arrange it around your other classes. so you could end up having classes with anyone doing french, even if they're just doing it as a subsid module and their actual degree is...english for e.g.

then, the content modules in french will obviously depend on who chooses which modules, and then on which classes your timetable lets you sign up for.

i don't do spanish, but it will be the same, with the people in classes all doing different degrees.

and, again i don't do history, but i imagine that it's the same with other subjects.

so for example, i have language friends studying just french; french and law; french and history; french, german and spanish; french and german etc etc etc

i spoke to a girl on yougofurther who was doing french and spanish and am now friends with her and have some lectures with her but i have friends doing two out of the three languages that i am doing and have no classes with them. so, it just depends. and also it changes each semester, so you meet lots of people.

hope that helps :-)
Reply 16
Thanks, that really did help :smile:
if anyone wants to know specific things or just more about studying languages at nottingham uni, just PM me :-)

Latest

Trending

Trending