The Student Room Group

How important are gcse's in applying to oxford

Scroll to see replies

warfay
Heya guys :smile:

I was considering applying to oxford this year, in october, to do law, and i was wondering how important gcse results are in their decisions.

I got 5A*, 2A and 2B. Nine gcse in all, this is only because i did Btec sport instead of two other gcse's. Would this reduce my chances? For AS i got 4 A's in english lit, history, psychology and maths. I've dropped maths and I'm predicted 3 A's at a level.

So basically my question is mainly to all those people who were accepted to oxbridge; what grades did you get for gcse?

:smile:

I got two Ds and still an offer :biggrin:
I was at a Cambridge/Oxford event at St James' Park in Newcastle in February and the economics tutor said dont bother applying if you don't have 5/6 A*s at least
Reply 62
Original post by Davelittle
I was at a Cambridge/Oxford event at St James' Park in Newcastle in February and the economics tutor said dont bother applying if you don't have 5/6 A*s at least

My friends told me about that. However, there are people (if you scour around your school and look at Stalking Pages) who have been made offers with one or even no A*s at GCSE! As a matter of fact, some people have had offers with a row of Bs and Cs. Then again, this depends on your AS Level performance and the subject you're applying for; Law, Medicine, and Economics are renowned for being competitive whereas Anglo Saxon, Celtic etc. Studies, Philosophy and Theology and so on are less competitive and 'easier' to get into...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 63
hello there... just wanted to ask. I have just finished my IGCSEs... i have definitely got 6 A*s, the rest maybe A* or A´s and probably 1B... In year 11 i also took the full spanish A level in that one year.. I think i got an A or A* in it.. AND i did half of my Maths A-level and got A and an A/B (on border for grade A i think) in core 1 and 2... i would very much like to apply to Oxford university.. i mean, would i have an actual chance competing against the vast majority of GENIUSES.. Would that B let me down?

I am very determined, but of course, sometimes that is not enough :/ .. advice would be very much appreciated. Do not be afraid to simply tell me that I dont have a chance.. i would not be offended AT ALL )!
Reply 64
Original post by costme
hello there... just wanted to ask. I have just finished my IGCSEs... i have definitely got 6 A*s, the rest maybe A* or A´s and probably 1B... In year 11 i also took the full spanish A level in that one year.. I think i got an A or A* in it.. AND i did half of my Maths A-level and got A and an A/B (on border for grade A i think) in core 1 and 2... i would very much like to apply to Oxford university.. i mean, would i have an actual chance competing against the vast majority of GENIUSES.. Would that B let me down?

I am very determined, but of course, sometimes that is not enough :/ .. advice would be very much appreciated. Do not be afraid to simply tell me that I dont have a chance.. i would not be offended AT ALL )!

Geniuses? Hardly :P I got in :L

Sounds like you got a shot at it, what course?
Reply 65
Original post by Veeee
Geniuses? Hardly :P I got in :L

Sounds like you got a shot at it, what course?

hahahaha... you see, your not just a genius but you are also humble !!!! :smile: I want to study law, but i am willing to study an alternative subject like history, english or even philosophy (but not anywhere in the sciences xD!) ... what are you studying?
Reply 66
Original post by costme
hahahaha... you see, your not just a genius but you are also humble !!!! :smile: I want to study law, but i am willing to study an alternative subject like history, english or even philosophy (but not anywhere in the sciences xD!) ... what are you studying?

Your grades are fine for an application.

My only comment would be that your priorities seem a little odd currently - your subject is the thing you will be dedicating 3/4/more years of your life to studying. Oxford is just the place where the learning happens. It is the subject that should have priority over the university, not the other way around. Don't compromise your degree by going for a subject you wouldn't enjoy as much just for a slightly increased chance of getting in to Oxford.
Reply 67
Original post by costme

Haha thankyou but seriously, genius? naaa :tongue:

Im going to be starting Economics and Management in the summer. But I do agree with other posters, whilst Oxford is a great Uni, you shouldnt choose your uni then your course...

At interviews and throughout applications they will want to see a flair for your subject, a real passion. Commit to one of those over the summer after doing some extra reading and seeing which one you like best.

If you cant help wanting to apply for oxford, no matter what the course, which I do not recommend, then you ought to have a look at the applicants/ place for those courses. Law for example is HIGHLY competitive, thus harder to get into and inherently higher GCSEs expected.
Original post by LordVoldemort1
Are you sure they said that? Cambridge are not as well.. anal about GCSE results as Oxford are.

I got an interview from Cambridge (which I messed up) with 3A* 2A's (rest B's)

Yup the economics guy said it!
Reply 69
Original post by Veeee

Im going to be starting Economics and Management in the summer. But I do agree with other posters, whilst Oxford is a great Uni, you shouldnt choose your uni then your course...

At interviews and throughout applications they will want to see a flair for your subject, a real passion. Commit to one of those over the summer after doing some extra reading and seeing which one you like best.

If you cant help wanting to apply for oxford, no matter what the course, which I do not recommend, then you ought to have a look at the applicants/ place for those courses. Law for example is HIGHLY competitive, thus harder to get into and inherently higher GCSEs expected.

I guess you are right. I am very interested in Law and I would very much like to take that course..but history, english and philosophy are also courses that i am very interested in. So i would not really be putting the university first.

If i can't do either 4 then i WILL turn to other universities..

Economics... im taking that as an A-level next year!! great course *GENIUSSS*
Reply 70
Can you make an application for more than one course at Oxford? Or do you have to commit to only one?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 71
Original post by costme
Can you make an application for more than one course at Oxford? Or do you have to commit to only one?

Only one course. Otherwise you wouldnt be showing a passion for that one subject :wink:

You also can not apply to cambridge if you apply to oxford.
Basically, between all of cambridge courses and all of oxford courses, you can pick only one.
Reply 72
Original post by Veeee

Im going to be starting Economics and Management in the summer...

In the summer huh?! That's an entire season before anyone else! That guys claim that you're a genius seems more and more likely :wink:
Reply 73
Original post by nexttime
In the summer huh?! That's an entire season before anyone else! That guys claim that you're a genius seems more and more likely :wink:

LOOL just had to rep that comment :L you know what i meant:biggrin:
I've got a predicted IB score of 40 points which is 2 above what they said was a typical offer for Human Sciences. Do you guys reckon my Igcse results would affect my chances... They're not great... A* 5A 2B. Thanks a lot! :smile:
Original post by procrastinatorxl
I've got a predicted IB score of 40 points which is 2 above what they said was a typical offer for Human Sciences. Do you guys reckon my Igcse results would affect my chances... They're not great... A* 5A 2B. Thanks a lot! :smile:

In short, yes. You're not going to be rejected just because of your GCSEs, but certainly they make a difference.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending