The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

The West Wing
OK I did it properly this time, and I got ~ 50% as my score.

GCSE A*: 11
AS average: 96

% Chance = ( 5[no. A*s at GCSE] + 3[No. of A at GCSE] + 2[AS Avg. in top 3 subjects] - 170 ) * ([PPA]/0.25)
where [PPA] = places/applicant at the college the candidate is applying to for that specific subject.

(5(11) + 2 (946) - 170) * (8.3/0.25)

= (55 + 190 - 170) * (0.17/0.25)
= 51%

I don't think this formula's that accurate tbh. I got 93% which is just silly, when you consider the luck and circumstances involved at interview/tests etc.....
Reply 41
It's a confidence thing.. if I knew that a significantly higher proportion of people with around 10A*s got in compared to the 1 in 4, it would make me feel a lot better about the whole process.. its all a bit scary
Reply 42
Getting 93% and an offer does do the equation some justice, it proves it works However Vazzy B did say it doesn't work at extremes. For example if you put in 20A*'s you'd end up havign a % chance>100%.
Reply 43
And also the whole PPA thing is a bit flawed too because of pooling. For example Clare's, King's or Emmanuel's courses would have a relatively low PPA, but then quite a lot of people tend to get pooled and get offers from other colleges
Reply 44
56 A*s
Reply 45
9 at first, send back 2 get a remark now 10..
Reply 46
The West Wing
I think I did it wrong, but according to the formula I had a 115% chance of getting an offer...

I got 280%, so either i'm awesome, or i'm crap at maths. More likely the latter.
I got 122%! I did get an offer, but there was no way I was guaranteed a place!
Got rejected this time around, but 7 A*s. Hopefully 8 after this year ^^
Reply 49
tbh, i dont think you can work out whether youre going to get a place by using a formula; mine came out as 91% and i got a place, but i dont think the formula would really work! people with the same marks, could have COMPLETELY different personaltites and come across very different at interview.
at my school, those who tend to be quite 'arrogant'; no offence to them, seem to have been rejected, whereas those of us who are less so, have places.
also, those who have been accepted have all done a lot of extra-curricular stuff to do with their subject; maybe that counts for something.

edit: also, i think if i had applied to another college, i wouldnt have got in! its all about which college, your grades in relevant subjects and your personality.

edit#2: where can u find the spreadsheet about who got in etc?
Laura0310
edit#2: where can u find the spreadsheet about who got in etc?

Lookie here:

(and yes, I was bored when I made this....)
Reply 51
Deep1989
Getting 93% and an offer does do the equation some justice, it proves it works However Vazzy B did say it doesn't work at extremes. For example if you put in 20A*'s you'd end up havign a % chance>100%.

If you call that "proof", then I sincerely hope you're not applying for anything even remotely scientific.
RougeRepublic
I was trying to do something similar to what Vazzy B has apparently done because I think the admissions statistics published by Cambridge are a bit vague..I understand that they cant say 'if you have 11A*s then you have a greater chance of getting in' because that would detter candidates with lower grades who may in fact be equally able at the subject they're applying for

Another good reason they don't say that is because it's not true. I know people in Cambridge who got fairly mediocre GCSE grades, but excellent A-level grades / personal statement / reference / generally lots going for them.

As for how many A*s I got: millions. But you certainly don't need lots to get in.
Reply 53
Using that formula, I had an 126% chance of getting a place... that must be wrong, i think because it's been nearly two years since I've done any maths.

Excalibar, thanks for doing that spreadsheet; do you think you can copy it into wordpad or something because I can't open it?
I got a 72% chance and an offer and consequently feel like I beat the system :P
I got an offer with less than the average 7 A*s. I no people who didn't get an offer with 9 A*s. I think it's probably the least important of all the information they use to weigh up canditates. I mean think about it, what's more important, how a candidate did at some highly formulaic exams two years before university, or their results at the much harder A levels and the subject relivent interview?
Excalibur
I don't think this formula's that accurate tbh. I got 93% which is just silly, when you consider the luck and circumstances involved at interview/tests etc.....

I cant seem to find the PPA, the link is broken
"d'u"? Is that really happening now?
jonnythemoose
"d'u"? Is that really happening now?

At first I thought it was German :p:

Galatea: I don't have a clue how I can copy it onto something else, sorry :s-smilie: There's a few different links lying around in the decisions discussion thread, if you want to try those to see if they work. If anyone else who was able to download it could upload it in a different format it'll be great.
Reply 59
Excalibur
Lookie here:

(and yes, I was bored when I made this....)

lol
thanks so much!

Latest

Trending

Trending