The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
The modules will vary depending on the uni (especially as you are doing a joint course).
the modules i take in first and second year are
cognitive psychology - memory, language, attention
research design, statistics and computing
social psych - relationships, group behaviour
biological psych - animal behaviour, biology
Individual differences - personality, motives
psychological research - module about current research
abnormal psych - mental disorders
perception
developmental psych

these are mostly assessed by exams, but also by write-ups of experiments, and essays. In third year there is also a research project and dissertation, but this will likely be different for a joint course.
Reply 2
Well If you've taken it at A-level then it explores themes and aproaches you would of dsicussed in much more depth, and involves like any topic furhtur reading beyond what is purely in the lectures and ability to discuss and evaluate different models and approaches.
It differs from uni to uni what is covered, For me 1st and 2nd year were dominated By Stats, Intro to psych lectures, Research Laborary and modules such as thinking psychogically to more specific ones like Memory, Child Development, Social Psych Etc. In this year we had the choice of selecting our own units for each semester with choices from all spectrums available while also completing a Literature Review and a Experimental Paper as our dissertation.
Reply 3
Doing a degree now, I think back to A level psychology and it seems soooo basic and nothing like psychology now. I can't really explain it, I think it's just a completely different angle you approach it from. In A level, I don't think I read a single study or textbook about anything, whereas here, everything's based on that stuff. You have to read around a subject lots, and you tend to end up knowing about it in a great amount of detail.

I think it's more interesting.
Reply 4
thanks for the feedback guys sounds interesting.
Personally I wouldnt recommend going into it if you have never studied it before, but thats just me.
Reply 6
louisedotcom
Personally I wouldnt recommend going into it if you have never studied it before, but thats just me.

Really? Why is that?

Personally, I think there are many degree courses that applicants have never studied before, psychology shouldn't be treated any differently. So long as you understand what the subject is about, and have a genuine interest in it, it is irrelevant whether you have studied it before. After all, you have to start somewhere.
I didnt necessarily mean studied it in a formal manner (ie A-levels) I also meant as in read up on the specific course content and all the other stuff.

So many people who HAVE studied it before, been to open days, read the prospectuses, been to sample lectures etc end up dissapointed, and are really surprised about how much stats there are for example, that they end up dissatisfied with the course.

I can imagine that for someone who hasnt studied it before, the transition could be even more of a shock. Especially since 99% of the time when the lecturer says 'So you covered this at A-Level did you' and of course there is an over whelming 'yes' so alot of information in skipped on the assumption that everyone knows it.

I think another problem is that many people who have never studied psychology before, tend to get the idea of doing it at degree level after dabbling with a few 'Abnormal psychology' text books or seeing things on TV, and then go on to assume that the whole subject area will be like that (this, or something similar has been the case for a few people on my course) when the reality is that quite alot of the time youre doing stuff thats actually quite dull.

Basically what im saying is that if you have never studied it formally, at least understand the reality of a psychology degree(which many people dont.)
Its not all 'Fun stuff', learning about how criminals minds work, forensics, eating disorders and sexual dysfunction for 3 years. Much of your time is spent doing statistical analysis, writing practical reports, studying topics, which whilst being interesting to some degree, you have absolutley no interest in.
As Louisedotcom said, I think jumping into a uni subject that you havent really researched in massive depth beforehand is a huge risk, especially with something like Psychology. It seems that many people have a bizzare, warped perception of what Psychology is actually all about, and to judge your choice of uni course on those that is a huge chance.

I'd definetly go out and by some A-level/Uni level books on Psychology and read up before you make your choice.
Reply 9
louisedotcom
I didnt necessarily mean studied it in a formal manner (ie A-levels) I also meant as in read up on the specific course content and all the other stuff.

Ah right, ok. I would say that that applies to ANY degree subject though. Although I do agree that there may be more misconseptions about psychology due to the way it is covered in the media, or even at A level.
Reply 10
My own perception of psychology is one of curiosity and open mindedness. I fully intend to read up on the course as much as i can but so i've been told with a combined business course it wont be so intensive like the real one.

So any input from someone that took it as a combined degree would be useful.
NSW
Ah right, ok. I would say that that applies to ANY degree subject though. Although I do agree that there may be more misconseptions about psychology due to the way it is covered in the media, or even at A level.

Yeah I definatly agree with that.
Reply 12
... valid lol
Reply 13
Boo It is interesting to learn! Just some areas more than others.. Heh. As saidbefore Its good to be aware of what your letting yourself in for, I wasnt prepared for the stats tbh however I didnt ruin the whole experience for me I just dealt with it and got through to the good years :smile: Third year although more stressful has rocked because I Picked all my modules and there really fun mwahaha.
What kind of stats are we talking about exactly? And these research reports? (if you don't mind giving me a quick summary, it would be appreciated). I hope I don't find it mind-numbingly dull now I've applied :rolleyes: I have an interest in this and English Lit- and at this point have the option to change courses...but then again, what good in a lit degree (I'm in it for the money, you know :wink: )....ugh, I can't decide :mad:
The stats vary according to the experiment (e.g. t-tests, ANOVAS etc - you don't have to do them you just have to know how to do them on SPSS a computer stats package similar to Excel). As for research reports - they're a write up of an experiment - Introduction (background, hypotheses etc), method (inc participants, what you used and what you did), results (statistics) and discussion (what the results mean)
Aah, so like our coursework now (only more in-depth, naturally). Thanks :biggrin:
Reply 17
yeh, in first year we do the equivilant of the A level coursework every couple of weeks (1500 words, so i think shorter than the A level coursework!) as well as essays and exams not as frequently.
Reply 18
Pretty much as said, Do research reports every couple of weeks on some experiment youve done as class, along side that stats lectures will just teach you about performing statidtical analysis on numbers, how to interpret them, distribution.. skewness etc and smapling and stuff. Its not that bad, most of it you do on a statistical package called spss and its just learning to work it :smile:
NSW
The modules will vary depending on the uni (especially as you are doing a joint course).
the modules i take in first and second year are
cognitive psychology - memory, language, attention
research design, statistics and computing
social psych - relationships, group behaviour
biological psych - animal behaviour, biology
Individual differences - personality, motives
psychological research - module about current research
abnormal psych - mental disorders
perception
developmental psych

I so wish we'd do Abnormal Psych... but not a chance of it in all four years, it seems :mad:

Latest