The Student Room Group

Heffers...

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Supergrunch
That's the shop I was talking about... whenever I want a particular CUP book, they don't seem to have it.

*rereads whole thread*

So you were -- I am sorry! And yes, shops not having the books is annoying. Inexplicably, none of them had a copy of Defoe's *Roxana*, which is hardly what I'd call an obscure text. Not impressed.
Reply 41
epitome
So you were -- I am sorry! And yes, shops not having the books is annoying. Inexplicably, none of them had a copy of Defoe's *Roxana*, which is hardly what I'd call an obscure text. Not impressed.

Possibly all the others at Newnham had gotten there first? :p:

I like Heffers very much, though I go there more to browse than to buy. Their classics section makes me consider degrading. :p:
Reply 42
Lidka
Possibly all the others at Newnham had gotten there first?

Nope! (I checked waaaay back at the beginning of January, when there were virtually no students here). Also, we don't all study the same stuff. Thankfully, or the libraries would be chaos...

Their classics section makes me consider degrading.

Degrading doesn't mean changing tripos. (Though is sometimes done to facilitate a Tripos change).
Reply 43
epitome
Degrading doesn't mean changing tripos. (Though is sometimes done to facilitate a Tripos change).

Would be for me - can't do Classics without the languages! :p:
Reply 44
Lidka
Would be for me - can't do Classics without the languages!

You could always bugger off to The Dark Side and do their course from scratch (actually, does Cambridge have one of those?).

Anyway, if you even attempt to leave the English Tripos, we will stop you. With all necessary methods. Including: Temptation by Cake.

Hell yeah. Hardcore.
Reply 45
epitome
You could always bugger off to The Dark Side and do their course from scratch (actually, does Cambridge have one of those?).

Anyway, if you even attempt to leave the English Tripos, we will stop you. With all necessary methods. Including: Temptation by Cake.

Hell yeah. Hardcore.

Yup, we do; it takes 4 years instead of 3.

Mmmm, cake. :biggrin:
Reply 46
Excellent -- looks like that plan worked, then! :biggrin:

(Hopefully see you in the Lit Crit 1580-1800 lecture in the morning? Come find me again, if you're there!)
epitome

Hell yeah. Hardcore.

Temptation by Cake? Does that apply to those on other Tripii too? :p:

Actually, I did try to change. I failed. "All necessary methods" included denial of bursaries. Boo.
Reply 48
FtB
Temptation by Cake? Does that apply to those on other Tripii too?

Actually, I did try to change. I failed. "All necessary methods" included denial of bursaries. Boo.

You tried to change Tripos? What to?
I frequently wish I were doing History instead, but console myself with the fact that (a) Literature is actually Just Better; and (b) I can be all historical in Part II (when I FINALLY get around to doing the damn thing).

(And yes, cake always applies).
lalalalal ignore this post lalalalalala ignorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrre
oops
Opsimathmo
lalalalal ignore this post lalalalalala ignorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrre

Too late. :p:

I tried to change to Arch and Anth, but couldn't. Oh well. There's always postgrad. After a few years of work to earn teh mon13z...
Reply 52
epitome
Excellent -- looks like that plan worked, then! :biggrin:

(Hopefully see you in the Lit Crit 1580-1800 lecture in the morning? Come find me again, if you're there!)

Sadly, you won't. :frown: My 'main' supervision time has been changed, so Tuesday morning is when I retype the rubbish I wrote (am writing...) the night before, in time for a midday deadline (eurgh). But, you know, if you can ever pull yourself away from the work, Newnham and Clare aren't that far apart... :p:

FadeToBlackout
Temptation by Cake? Does that apply to those on other Tripii too? :p:

It's a Greek plural. Tripodes.
:ninja:

You tried to CHANGE?! What to? I thought you were, like, The History Dude.*

*Not to be confused with a History Boy. V. different.
Reply 53
FtB
I tried to change to Arch and Anth, but couldn't. Oh well. There's always postgrad. After a few years of work to earn teh mon13z...

Why didn't they let you change? That's a bit of a pain. Though I'd understand if they insisted that you finish Part I first -- it's not as if you didn't do well in Part I, though! (Maybe that's why they wanted to keep you doing History, actually...:wink:)

Lidka
Sadly, you won't. My 'main' supervision time has been changed, so Tuesday morning is when I retype the rubbish I wrote (am writing...) the night before, in time for a midday deadline (eurgh). But, you know, if you can ever pull yourself away from the work, Newnham and Clare aren't that far apart...

Bummer!
Well, if you want my notes/handout (and you saw, from your intimidating vantage point last week, exactly what my notes look like!), just ask. I might even say yes.

As for the work, can hardly see the light at the end of the tunnel (a bit of a first, there...) -- well, actually, I can. Beginning of June. :s-smilie: Not cool. My wonderful friends keep coming round at very reasonable intervals to stop me going mental. Aaaanyway...Yes, I will find Clare at some point. But life at the moment consists of bed, desk, library, desk, Sainsbury's/Newnham Village, lirbary, bed, desk. Thats fine, in the short-term...:smile:
epitome
Why didn't they let you change? That's a bit of a pain. Though I'd understand if they insisted that you finish Part I first -- it's not as if you didn't do well in Part I, though! (Maybe that's why they wanted to keep you doing History, actually...:wink:)

I did finish Part I- history has a two year Part I, Arch and Anth a 2 year Part II. Understandably, the bursar said that I wouldn't get any money if I chose to change, and I couldn't afford to do it any other way. Oh well, I'm enjoying Part II History- shame I've got to leave the university come June :frown:

Bummer!
Well, if you want my notes/handout (and you saw, from your intimidating vantage point last week, exactly what my notes look like!), just ask. I might even say yes.

As for the work, can hardly see the light at the end of the tunnel (a bit of a first, there...) -- well, actually, I can. Beginning of June. :s-smilie: Not cool. My wonderful friends keep coming round at very reasonable intervals to stop me going mental. Aaaanyway...Yes, I will find Clare at some point. But life at the moment consists of bed, desk, library, desk, Sainsbury's/Newnham Village, lirbary, bed, desk. Thats fine, in the short-term...:smile:

Well, when you change your mind....

And Newnham Village?

"I'm not a feminist, I'm a MODERN WOMAN!" No? :p:
Reply 55
epitome
Bummer!

Well, if it's still relevant to Paper 2, then I would like noteness, pleasey. :biggrin: It sounds as if I'd need to come round and get them from you personally... when's a good time to knock on your door i.e. when will the Work Monster not eat me? You'll need to remind me in which part of Newnham you are.

Sainsbury's... there's a place I've been avoiding for a while. I'm living off weetabix atm. :frown:
Reply 56
FtB
I did finish Part I- history has a two year Part I, Arch and Anth a 2 year Part II. Understandably, the bursar said that I wouldn't get any money if I chose to change, and I couldn't afford to do it any other way. Oh well, I'm enjoying Part II History- shame I've got to leave the university come June

Sorry, didn't express myself well -- I know you finished Part I. :smile:
I'm not sure if the Bursary thing *is* understandable, actually -- changing Tripos is (or should be) perfectly valid, particularly if it's only going to add another year to your studies. There is some hoohah (as ever) about being able to switch Triposes more easily at the moment -- maybe in 40 yrs they'll have worked it out! :wink:

And Newnham Village?

Yes! We have a village right behind us -- just a wee toddle over the playing fields. It's really lovely, and has a v. cool bakery (open at 7am, no less -- useful!) and funky store that sells everything random and nothing useful (like, all kinds of weird and wonderful pickles, and halal/kosher meats, and jams and breads and cakes and sweets and newspapers in funny languages), and also has a post-office in the corner of the shop. And there's a co-op too. All less than 5 mins away. Brilliant. And no-one else uses it (except the people living there) because it's further away from all the other colleges -- score! :biggrin:

"I'm not a feminist, I'm a MODERN WOMAN!" No?

Where'd that come from, and why?! (And no, actually -- I am a feminist. Obviously. :p: :biggrin:)

Lidka
Well, if it's still relevant to Paper 2, then I would like noteness, pleasey. It sounds as if I'd need to come round and get them from you personally... when's a good time to knock on your door i.e. when will the Work Monster not eat me? You'll need to remind me in which part of Newnham you are.

Yep, sure. :smile: I'm hoping it's more Paper 2, too, because that's far more interesting than Paper 3, dammit! Speaking of which, you'd BETTER NOT miss the Milton lectures happening this term -- you would be an idiot to miss out on them without a v. good reason. Quentin Skinner on Milton & Liberty? HELL yes. (He was actually on Radio 4 talking about exactly the same thing, this morning...). Colin Burrow? YES. Oh, and Geoffrey Hill's here this week, too. Groovy stuff! :smile:

[Sorry about the Engling chat, all]

And you can come any time I don't have a class. That is, um, not Wednesday--Friday, then! :wink: Just email me in a morning and I'll let you know where I'll be in (and remind you how to get here...)
epitome
Sorry, didn't express myself well -- I know you finished Part I. :smile:
I'm not sure if the Bursary thing *is* understandable, actually -- changing Tripos is (or should be) perfectly valid, particularly if it's only going to add another year to your studies. There is some hoohah (as ever) about being able to switch Triposes more easily at the moment -- maybe in 40 yrs they'll have worked it out! :wink:

Maybe. Meh. I'm not too bothered. There were a number of reasons why I wanted to do it, but I'm not massively put off that I couldn't.

Where'd that come from, and why?! (And no, actually -- I am a feminist. Obviously. :p: :biggrin:)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29JewlGsYxs

Missing the pop culture reference? Dearie me...
Reply 58
FtB
Missing the pop culture reference?

Yes. Spectacularly! *whistles...*
I might be coming along to the Milton lectures as well!

Latest

Trending

Trending