The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I think people just make the assumption that drama is simple because when they think of drama, they think of simply acting. At higher level, drama is SOOOOO much more than just acting, take a look at the past papers and you will see what I mean.

With regards to the 2 year higher english course: basically we are doing the course in S4, getting all of our LOs in that time. And then in S5 we are studying more interesting and longer texts, so as we have an appreciation for the subject, rather than just cramming exam work in throughout. Personally I think it's a rather good idea.

I figured that if I was planning on law and languages, english, drama, two languages, modern studies and maths would be a good idea. (obviously i appreciate that that is 6 and doing 6 highers often isn't a good idea).

Can I just ask, at you guys' schools, do you have free periods in S5 or do you have study periods when you are not in classes?
Reply 21
We didn't get free periods in S5. Everybody had to take a full timetable.
If you're staying on for S6, I'd really suggest doing a language each year because it will be a lot easier.
Reply 22
bearbear
We didn't get free periods in S5. Everybody had to take a full timetable.
If you're staying on for S6, I'd really suggest doing a language each year because it will be a lot easier.

I was planning on taking both languages in S5 and then picking up higher economics in S6, purely because I know economics is a much easier subject to go back into than languages after a year's break.:s-smilie:
kiwi-93
I think people just make the assumption that drama is simple because when they think of drama, they think of simply acting. At higher level, drama is SOOOOO much more than just acting, take a look at the past papers and you will see what I mean.

It's not that drama is simple, it's just that it's not seen as being as academic as more traditional subjects, like history say. Drama would be better appreciated as an extracurricular.

With regards to the 2 year higher english course: basically we are doing the course in S4, getting all of our LOs in that time. And then in S5 we are studying more interesting and longer texts, so as we have an appreciation for the subject, rather than just cramming exam work in throughout. Personally I think it's a rather good idea.

I don't like this system, and I thank God that I didn't have to suffer it! Some people find that studying books in depth actually ruins their love of books, and those wanting to go on to do science-related degrees have less need for an appreciation for English. They could spend that extra year doing another science or doing an Advanced Higher.

Can I just ask, at you guys' schools, do you have free periods in S5 or do you have study periods when you are not in classes?

I had free periods, but then I was a it of a special case (did one subject at a college evening class). There was only one other person who had free periods (same circumstance). Free periods are not what some make them out to be. If you have nothing to do then they are pretty boring.
Most people in my year have a full timetable, the few who don't have one or two free periods because of a time table mix up.
I agree with everyone else, take 5 highers! (We were advised to take less lol!)

I done a mix of SG and Int 2's in S4. I found the SG's more interesting but thought the Int 2's were an easier course.

I'm in 5th year right now and everyone in my year has to take a full timetable, but we get two core periods a week, so I get two free periods on a monday morning =D
Reply 26
I would only take 5 highers because of the heavy work load.

I took moder studies this year and I love it. But it is not a subject which is easy to an A. There is a lot of information and facts to learn.
Reply 27
for law you need english its essential and if you want to do languages then take them. i didnt do maths so i have no idea what its like

universitys don't seem to mind what highers you have as long as you have 2/3 core subjects (english,social sciences,languages) so take what your best at and get good grades
Reply 28
I was just wondering how it is possible to take more than 5 highers because at my school taking 5 subjects means a full timetable with no free periods and I was just a bit :s-smilie: as to how 6 or even 7 highers would fit in?
Reply 29
well at my school we have 5 highers doesn't fill you timetable...you get 5 core periods and 4 study periods. if you choose to take 6 highers then you lose your core periods and study periods, leaving you with a full timetable.

as for 7 highers...i only know one person who has ever done that and it's because he took 6 highers and happens to be bilingual so he took the language without actually studying it.
How long are your periods? Ours are an hour long so five highers take up the timetable bar 2 core periods.
Reply 31
Periods are 40 minutes and last period is 35 mins. my school has a funny timetabling system so you get 9 perios per higher.
My periods are a rather odd 53 minutes
Reply 33
ChocolateEyes
My periods are a rather odd 53 minutes

What a coincidence that is exactly how long mine are, so I get 6 periods a day, which works out at 6 periods for each Higher throughout the week.
CCP16
What a coincidence that is exactly how long mine are, so I get 6 periods a day, which works out at 6 periods for each Higher throughout the week.

I get 6 for Maths and English and five for everything else :smile:
North
for law you need english its essential and if you want to do languages then take them. i didnt do maths so i have no idea what its like

universitys don't seem to mind what highers you have as long as you have 2/3 core subjects (english,social sciences,languages) so take what your best at and get good grades

I didnt realise english was optional :confused: . Does one not need at least a pass in higher english to get into uni in scotland ?
That's wierd I only get 5 periods per higher...
Period 1, 2 & 3 are an hour long and periods 4, 5 & 6 are 55 mins.
Reply 37
Our periods are 50 mins long. We have 7 periods on Monday, Tuesday and Thursday and six on wednesday and friday.
Reply 38
Oh dont dont dont take french! worse decision I ever made :P
Reply 39
Sweetliketropicana
I didnt realise english was optional :confused: . Does one not need at least a pass in higher english to get into uni in scotland ?

Nope, one doesn't. I didn't take higher english, I have offers from unis. Of course it depends ont he course, but the whole " you must take higher English and Maths no matter what" is total rubbish.

Latest