The Student Room Group

Int'l Student w/ ABB - Should I Bother?

Hi to all in these forums. I'm an international student from Singapore, and did my A levels here. I unfortunately received rather mediocre grades of ABB. I am however still hoping to study law at a decent uni in the UK. I plan to apply to KCL, Nottingham, Manchester, Warwick and perhaps QM. I'd just like to get some opinions on my chances, and whether I should even bother applying to any of these unis at all, since all of them have an AAB cut off. I will be applying for deferred entry in 2009, if that matters at all. Thanks!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'll leave the details of whether it's worth applying to those more expert in that field but this question seems to come up a lot so do a search and have a look at Wiki.

The deadline for applications for entry deferred to 2009 has passed (15 Jan) so you will have to apply after September this year and before Jan 15 next year for Oct 2009 entry. Unless I misunderstood you and you will apply in 2009 for deferred entry (ie 2010/11??).

And before anyone points out that you can apply now but the deadline for 'equal consideration' has passed I am advising on the basis that the best unis for law will observe that deadline for all but outstanding candidates (if they look at all at late applications).
Reply 2
Yes, international students tend to get lower offers. Check out the law offers thread, there are international students who have applied to manchester and have offers of BBB
Reply 3
Ian_SG
Hi to all in these forums. I'm an international student from Singapore, and did my A levels here. I unfortunately received rather mediocre grades of ABB. I am however still hoping to study law at a decent uni in the UK. I plan to apply to KCL, Nottingham, Manchester, Warwick and perhaps QM. I'd just like to get some opinions on my chances, and whether I should even bother applying to any of these unis at all, since all of them have an AAB cut off. I will be applying for deferred entry in 2009, if that matters at all. Thanks!

contact the admissions people and ask them what Singapore A level grades they require.
Reply 4
bryan
contact the admissions people and ask them what Singapore A level grades they require.

What he said. If you took Sg A levels then I have every respect for ABB! And the deadline I mentioned seems not to be so rigid for Internationals. I'd ask about this too.
Reply 5
Drongo
What he said. If you took Sg A levels then I have every respect for ABB! And the deadline I mentioned seems not to be so rigid for Internationals. I'd ask about this too.

oh, ok :p: i thought the OP took Singapore A levels.
Reply 6
Drongo
I'll leave the details of whether it's worth applying to those more expert in that field but this question seems to come up a lot so do a search and have a look at Wiki.

The deadline for applications for entry deferred to 2009 has passed (15 Jan) so you will have to apply after September this year and before Jan 15 next year for Oct 2009 entry. Unless I misunderstood you and you will apply in 2009 for deferred entry (ie 2010/11??).

And before anyone points out that you can apply now but the deadline for 'equal consideration' has passed I am advising on the basis that the best unis for law will observe that deadline for all but outstanding candidates (if they look at all at late applications).

I am quite certain they do, A level results are typically released late february to early march in Singapore. Boys (such as myself) are then conscripted and serve two years in a uniformed service, while girls make applications to whatever university they want to go to. Unless what you mean is that these universities will only consider late applications for entry in 2008, and not deferred entry, in which case I apologize for misunderstanding.
Reply 7
bryan

I have made a few enquiries, unfortunately none of the unis seemed willing to supply me any information with regards to different standards for international students and Singapore A levels in particular - they mainly told me what was stated in their prospectus. Might there be any particular reason for this?
Reply 8
Ian_SG
I have made a few enquiries, unfortunately none of the unis seemed willing to supply me any information with regards to different standards for international students and Singapore A levels in particular - they mainly told me what was stated in their prospectus. Might there be any particular reason for this?

my experience is that if you email an Admissions address (e.g. admissions@.....) you will get general standard replies. but if you email an admission tutor/admission officer (their email addresses are "personal", e.g. John Smith will be something like jsmith@.... or js@........ etc.) you are likely to get more detailed and relevant replies. anyway, so you did take Singapore A levels, right? not UK A levels?
to the OP: definately. I'm speaking from personal experience.
Reply 10
Ian_SG
I am quite certain they do, A level results are typically released late february to early march in Singapore. Boys (such as myself) are then conscripted and serve two years in a uniformed service, while girls make applications to whatever university they want to go to. Unless what you mean is that these universities will only consider late applications for entry in 2008, and not deferred entry, in which case I apologize for misunderstanding.

As an international there is more leeway in application deadlines and the fact you want to defer will probably help but the UCAS form does encourage applications before 15 Jan:

(from UCAS site)

"International applicants

If you are applying from outside the UK or EU, whatever your nationality, you can apply at any time between mid-September 2007 and 30 June 2008, unless you are applying for Oxford University or University of Cambridge, courses in medicine, dentistry, veterinary medicine or veterinary science, or Route B art and design courses, in which case you should apply by the dates above.

It is advised that you apply as early as possible. Universities and colleges do not guarantee to consider applications they receive after 15 January 2008, and some popular courses may not have vacancies after that date. Please check with individual universities and colleges if you are not sure."

I know you don't get the results by the deadline but that is the usual way UCAS does it and the offer becomes conditional. You let them know when your result comes through and the offer changes then to unconditional.

At the moment I guess the admissions dept at unis are really busy and I don't think they would want to state SG A levels as being harder, anecdotally however the offers for SG A levels seem slightly below the 'going rate offer'. I can't see what you have to lose by putting an application in (apart from UCAS fee!). If you would consider a 'lesser uni' I'd put 2 of those in as well though. It depends whether it is those unis or nothing in the UK. You can always apply again in the next cycle BTW.

I'm sure Law experts on TSR will help out here but I know there are LNAT tests etc that might help make you more attractive to LNAT unis (which 2 of yours are), but now I really am out of my depth....

Edit: Bryan's advice to email the named admin officer from the Law depts is spot on.
Reply 11
bryan
my experience is that if you email an Admissions address (e.g. admissions@.....) you will get general standard replies. but if you email an admission tutor/admission officer (their email addresses are "personal", e.g. John Smith will be something like jsmith@.... or js@........ etc.) you are likely to get more detailed and relevant replies. anyway, so you did take Singapore A levels, right? not UK A levels?

bryan
anyway, so you did take Singapore A levels, right? not UK A levels?

Yes Bryan, I did Singapore A levels in History, Economics and Mathematics. My distinction was for History.

@ Drongo - I shall definitely give both of your suggestions a go...Thanks to everyone who's helped so far
Ian_SG
Yes Bryan, I did Singapore A levels in History, Economics and Mathematics. My distinction was for History.

@ Drongo - I shall definitely give both of your suggestions a go...Thanks to everyone who's helped so far

Singapore doesn't have A levels... which school did you go to? :s-smilie:
Reply 13
margsch
Singapore doesn't have A levels... which school did you go to? :s-smilie:

Uh...there are more than 20 JCs that each accept > 500 students every academic year, and they all do A levels. You must be mistaken.
Ian_SG
Uh...there are more than 20 JCs that each accept > 500 students every academic year, and they all do A levels. You must be mistaken.

Seriously? Then why do people keep telling me local schools don't do a levels... sorry about that :smile:
Reply 15
Nottingham and Manchester's offers for international students are ABB and BBB respectively.QM is also ABB. Warwick is AAB but I do know they accepted one friend who got ABB.
Just out of curiosity, why are offers for international students lower than for people who live in the country?
Reply 17
Because universities want money. I believe most internationals are charged between £10,000 - £15,000 a year in tuition fees - so universities are prepared to accept them with lower grades in exchange for the cash.
Yeah, it's quite sad really but then I guess if you were paying that you would find it fair.
Reply 19
i'm sorry, my manchester offer is AAA. =____=

Latest

Trending

Trending