The Student Room Group
Reply 1
the way i've always been taught is that they're shapes fit together, but i guess that's too simplistic...
Reply 2
A and T each have 2 sites that can hydrogen bond to each other, and G and C have 3.
Reply 3
Just for the sake of being pedantic :P

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pyrimidine_dimers is an example of non-AT/CG binding.

Anyway... Cytosine and guanine have 3 hydrogen bonds between them while adenine and thymine only have 2.

Edit: Sorry someone already answered it.
usually because they're complementary shapes?
Reply 5
Width of DNA has to be kept constant. A and G are purines which have 1 pentose sugar and one hexose, while T and C are pyrimadines which have only 1 pentose sugar. So to keep the width constant A must bind with T and G must bind with C.
Reply 6
I'm pretty sure you are confusing the nitrogenous base (purine or pyrimadine) with sugars. Purines have two rings in their nitrogenous base, pyrimadines one. The width thing is correct - it is quite a good way of detecting transversions (so GA, CT binding.) It may be that the very specific width of the helix makes transitions (AC or AU, GT) detectable by length - however, purines are different from each other (Guanine, if memory serves, has an O= on carbon 7 (?) which in Adenine is just an H.)

I'm not convinced that the number of hydrogen bonds is sufficient to explain complimentary base pairing - there is no reason why that alone would prohibit AC, GT binding, if for no other reason than these modes (and even less favourable ones) can exist happily in a cell unless they are detected and corrected. I suspect that DNA pol whatever can detect the bases with varying degrees of fidelity and 'permit' binding only to the correct nucleotide - as an aside, DNA pols vary in their fidelity (some are particularly error prone, like eta), which would support the idea that they are involved with 'ensuring' complimentary base pairing.

Latest

Trending

Trending