The Student Room Group

Career in diplomacy?

I was wondering if anyone could tell me anything about being a diplomat or where to get information about it, as I've just been having a good old ponder about careers and it sounds interesting :biggrin:

I've applied to do a Politics and Spanish degree, and was wondering if it's the sort of career where you generally need to be oxbridge educated (to make a sweeping judgement there) or is a degree in any good university ok? Also, what exactly does it involve and what might you start off doing before that?

Sorry if I'm not being very clear, just some general wonderings I have if anyone has any comments :smile:
I know you can do a masters degree at Oxford in International Relations. :smile:
Reply 2
silver_spider
I was wondering if anyone could tell me anything about being a diplomat or where to get information about it, as I've just been having a good old ponder about careers and it sounds interesting :biggrin:

I've applied to do a Politics and Spanish degree, and was wondering if it's the sort of career where you generally need to be oxbridge educated (to make a sweeping judgement there) or is a degree in any good university ok? Also, what exactly does it involve and what might you start off doing before that?

Sorry if I'm not being very clear, just some general wonderings I have if anyone has any comments :smile:

you don't need to be oxbridge-educated. a degree from any good university is fine. You might want to have a look at the FCO Careers Page :wink: http://www.fco.gov.uk/servlet/Front?pagename=OpenMarket/Xcelerate/ShowPage&c=Page&cid=1177505121521
Reply 3
As I understand, it's more of less done though the normal civil service recruitment channels. You might be wise to try applying to the civil service fasttrack if your heart is set on a good position, but it's very competitive.
Reply 4
bryan
you don't need to be oxbridge-educated. a degree from any good university is fine. You might want to have a look at the FCO Careers Page :wink: http://www.fco.gov.uk/servlet/Front?pagename=OpenMarket/Xcelerate/ShowPage&c=Page&cid=1177505121521

thanks alot, that was helpful :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending