The Student Room Group

Transferring from US to UK university?

I'm an American student currently studying at an American college (Hamilton College.) I'm unhappy in my current situation and am considering transferring to university in the UK. I know that international students can apply through the UCAS system until June, but would applying in, say, late Feburary significantly decrease my probability of being accepted into a UK university? It seems that for the acceptance system in the the UK works in a way equivalent to "rolling admissions" in the US.

Also, I was wondering about differences in university social life between US and UK universities. My college is small and far away from any substantial city, and therefore our social life revolves around partying in people's dorm rooms and hardly ever leaving campus. Do UK students generally go out to clubs, etc. on weekends, or do they hang out in people's apartments, campus housing, etc.?
Reply 1
English unis don't generally accept transfers. if you want to go to an English uni, you probably have to start all over again (that means from year 1). but Scottish unis generally accept transfers into year 2 or sometimes evern year 3 (nb. Scottish degrees are 4 years, whereas English degrees are usually 3 years). so you might want to have a look at them. I personally know people who have transfered to St. Andrews and Edinburgh. with regard to deadlines, look at the official UCAS website.
Reply 2
for your reference, St. Andrews even has a webpage about transferring from North America. Apparently, "applicants who live in North America and who would be liable to pay tution fees at the higher Overseas rate may apply directly to the University for transfer from universities or colleges in the USA or Canada." without having to apply through UCAS :wink:
http://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/admissions/int/northamericanapplicants/Transferstudents/
Reply 3
Thanks!
Reply 4
Try contacting the universities via phone, the websites aren't really too helpful in some cases.
Reply 5
How did it go HDoris?

I'm looking to transfer as well, but from a CDN university.
i'm in the same situation! but i hope i'm not too late in my response.

i attend james madison university and am also unhappy in my current situation...i submitted my UCAS application on january 15. in a way, UCAS is like rolling admission. but they do have a priority deadline - january 15 (i submitted mine just in time :wink: )

so if you were to submit yours in february, i would imagine it would be significantly more difficult to get in.

Latest

Trending

Trending