The Student Room Group
This isn't a particularly helpful post, but I did French A-level, which is significantly easier for English speakers than Russian is, and actual texts were way out of my league even after the course. No one expects fluency overnight.
Reply 2
generalebriety
This isn't a particularly helpful post, but I did French A-level, which is significantly easier for English speakers than Russian is, and actual texts were way out of my league even after the course. No one expects fluency overnight.

That's true but after my Advanced Higher French (in which we did no lit anyway) I went to uni and started reading the texts then.
And within a few months of starting Czech, we were reading texts in Czech (with help of course).... reading actual texts is different to reading them fluently. (Spesch since I can't read any of them fluently even halfway through second year..)

Sorry, I don't know about a book though, OP!
Reply 3
Pffft I studied Spanish up to A Level and then spent 4 months in Argentina and I would still take an age to read a proper book in Spanish (mainly because I insist on knowing every single word, which means I'm half reading a book and half reading a dictionary). My point is that it will be a long time before you can read a proper book in a foreign language for pleasure.

Anywho Russian-wise, I can't really help on the textbook front as mine (RUS) is actually horrible - totally black and white, terrible layout and just crap in general. I would just advise you at this stage to try magazines and newspapers (i.e. TABLOIDS) as they tend to use simpler language than actual books do (especially the tabloids), plus they are easier to read in terms of content than something on the life and times of Pushkin for example. Also try streaming Russian radio stations on your computer, or look for Russian podcasts, to improve your aural comprehension.
Reply 4
But you are doing it?

By real texts, I really just meant stuff like newspapers, nothing like Dostoyevsky (i find even the translations confusing :smile:], and I think streaming audio isn't really goingto work, though have you got any urls?

Oh and generalebriety, you'd be surprised how much easier they make Russian exams because of that reason, AS level really is not much more than a French/German GCSE in terms of language.
Reply 5
Taak_
But you are doing it?

By real texts, I really just meant stuff like newspapers, nothing like Dostoyevsky (i find even the translations confusing :smile:], and I think streaming audio isn't really goingto work, though have you got any urls?

Oh and generalebriety, you'd be surprised how much easier they make Russian exams because of that reason, AS level really is not much more than a French/German GCSE in terms of language.

Well don't go for the more highbrow papers, go for the trashy stuff like celebrity gossip magazines and stuff, they generally tend to have simpler language!
No urls sorry, but you should try looking for podcasts in Russian, they're downloadable and free.
Reply 6
The demise of the GCSE is epitomised by the fact that you got 96% whilst not being able to conjugate properly the verb 'to speak' in Russian! :p: Only joking, i'm sure it was just a mishap :wink:. You'll slowly find yourself improving; I suggest if you haven't got one already, you invest in a grammar book (something like Schaum's outline is good, or for more hardcore stuff - Terence Wade).
Reply 7
Well, its more a case of vocab and stuff really, the grammar we've actually done pretty well, despite appearances, thanks anyway. Guess I'll manage.

I also contacted a guy called *BCM*, and asked how he did, and he said I should just be Russian like him and get 600 :smile:
Reply 8
Well, I do Russian, and we've got some pretty good text books, favourites being: Tranzit and Kompas, which are written by Dr. Michael Ransome (the chief examiner). We also use loads of really old text books, (Poshli Dal'she) which you won't be able to get hold of.

http://www.bramcotepress.co.uk/pr01.htm

Latest

Trending

Trending