The Student Room Group

Oxford aplication help!!!!!!!

Hey guys

i am wondering if i should ask my school to let me try for oxford.
i would love to study history/biology/physics
i got 1A*, 6A's, 2B's and 1D at gcse and that D was in half spanish, which was a poor subject anyway.
I'm taking physics, biology, maths and history at AS and predicted AAAB
i have already completed my A/S maths when i was in year 11 and got an A and will pick up an A/S in further maths in yr 13 which i will predicted an A in.
i really really want to try for it but just want peoples opinions on what i should do. My school will say that my GCSE's are good enough but yet i see people getting offers with lesser gcse's than me

any help and advice will be great.

Thanks

Dan

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Might as well give it a shot mate - your GCSEs will be some of the worst applying to Oxford but if you impress in interview then you have a good chance. You have nothing to loose and they can't stop you applying if you want to.
Reply 2
What sort of help, exactly, are you after?
Do whatever the hell you want. If your school doesn't let you, do it anyway, if that's what you want. I hate able student programs that don't let people who may be bad at exams apply to decent universities or allow them opportunities that they might excel in (open university modules, for one, might be better suited to your learning).
So work your arse off, do loads of extra work, look into the OU, AEAs, work experience, and you'll be fine.

*not bitter about being an able student for her entire life and then getting less than perfect GCSEs and not being allowed to apply for Durham or do an OU module*
Go for it.
damaster99

i am wondering if i should ask my school to let me try for oxford.

Why does your school have a say in it?
Do what makes you happy.
The potential loss is negligible to the potential gain.
Reply 7
I dunno... it is a tenner... :wink:

No reason not to apply, just choose your other 4 wisely! Also, choose your subject! Obviously Physics > Biology ≥ History.
Yeah they also might not let you in if you're not sure if you want to do Physics/Biology/History.
With your subjects, the sciences would be more sensible. They're also (slightly) less competitive.

But then again, go for what you want.
Reply 9
Go for it: just remember to apply to Imperial aswell (unless you are applying for History) Otherwise HCD and I may just have to disembowel you :p:
Reply 10
Harriellie
Yeah they also might not let you in if you're not sure if you want to do Physics/Biology/History.
With your subjects, the sciences would be more sensible. They're also (slightly) less competitive.

That really shouldn't be a factor in the decision making process. Also, competitiveness isn't quantifiable. A:P ratios are of limited use.
Reply 11
Harriellie

He is hardly going to walk into the interview and say 'yer, well im not really sure what I want to do'. I hadn't decided for certain what I wanted to do at this point last year.
tomoli
He is hardly going to walk into the interview and say 'yer, well im not really sure what I want to do'. I hadn't decided for certain what I wanted to do at this point last year.

Haha, I know :wink: I'm just saying, any hint of wavering might show up.
HCD
That really shouldn't be a factor in the decision making process. Also, competitiveness isn't quantifiable. A:P ratios are of limited use.

It really shouldn't, but it is for some people.
If you really want it, definitely go for it - but look elsewhere first - my cousin's got offers from UCL and Oxford for (ancient) History; looked at them and decided he found oxford's course so dull that he's going for UCL.

Plus - I really regret not applying for cambridge :frown:
Reply 15
HCD
What sort of help, exactly, are you after?

well they would help me with the interviews and what not

i am really good orally and can talk about subjects of my interest in depth for long periods of time.
but i just need help with it all
Reply 16
damaster99
well they would help me with the interviews and what not

i am really good orally and can talk about subjects of my interest in depth for long periods of time.
but i just need help with it all

The Physics system will not suit you, in which case. I never got the chance to speak about what interested me in the Physics interview, so you can't rely on that. They were 100% academic (think: Maths/Physics test but with people breathing down your neck!). That said, the interviews at the other (Imperial & UCL) universities did involve a lot of conversation about interesting things, and I really enjoyed them. :smile: Just don't count on getting that opportunity at Oxford!

I see no reason why not to apply, but make sure you pick your subject before you go picking your universities!
damaster99
i am really good orally

Make sure you mention that.
Reply 18
If you can't decide between Physics and Biology, then Cambridge's NatSci could well be for you! :biggrin:
Reply 19
Harriellie
Do whatever the hell you want. If your school doesn't let you, do it anyway, if that's what you want. I hate able student programs that don't let people who may be bad at exams apply to decent universities or allow them opportunities that they might excel in (open university modules, for one, might be better suited to your learning).
So work your arse off, do loads of extra work, look into the OU, AEAs, work experience, and you'll be fine.

*not bitter about being an able student for her entire life and then getting less than perfect GCSEs and not being allowed to apply for Durham or do an OU module*

Never heard of an able student program. How can it stop people from applying to the universities they want to? Sounds very strange

Latest

Trending

Trending