The Student Room Group

PLEASE HELP - University of Manchester Vs University of Nottingham?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
lorrybeep
wrong, who says most people want to work in London? If youre thinkign of going into financial markets, there are hk, tokyo, paris, new york, singapore, frankfurt, zurich, and many many more. Plus how do you know he wants to stay in the UK after 3 years? he didnt say that did he. and we dont even know if he's from the UK originally or somewhere else. furthermore, people's plans do change.

Unless you're from the UK, most people know more of manchester than Nottingham, because its a bigger town and the football team of course.

But Nottingham has a better reputation for Economics than Manchester, and the majority of Econ grads don't move to another country and go to work in London or stay in the UK.
Reply 81
Look, why the hell do you think an office in hk and other cities would pick a manchester graduate over a local (and probably more intelligent) one? Most people stay in this country after graduation, and for that national reputation is a lot more important.
It depends on whether you're a local or a foreign student. If youre british then sure you will probably want to work in the UK. But having said that, other offices in europe employ all sorts of people, English, Germans or dutch. you'll be amazed how many foreign empolyees work outside their own countries. How do you know the OP is a local or a non local?! No one's stopping you from going to Nottingham. Suit yourself and pipe down would you.
Reply 83
The reason why I applied to Nottingham for economics was because: high average entry score (60 more than manchester), 5A research score (yes, I know it doesn't make a different to undergraduates) and range of modules offered.
Reply 84
lorrybeep
It depends on whether you're a local or a foreign student. If youre british then sure you will probably want to work in the UK. But having said that, other offices in europe employ all sorts of people, English, Germans or dutch. you'll be amazed how many foreign empolyees work outside their own countries. How do you know the OP is a local or a non local?! No one's stopping you from going to Nottingham. Suit yourself and pipe down would you.

You don't know if he wants to work abroad, and the judging by the majority of users on tsr, he is probably British and will probably be working in the UK when he graduates, and for that reason Nottingham is the better choice.
Reply 85
i'm from hong kong and i'm choosing nottingham over manchester (for law)
nottingham is a well-known university here
Thanks for everyone's input on this - I can say I am from the UK and I probably do wish to work in London after I graduate so after viewing the uni's accessing a series of other factors such as cost of living, distance from home and the ease of getting there, reputation, flexibility of modules....... I've gone for Nottingham as my firm and Birmingham as my second. So it was a toss up between Birmingham and Manchester for the backup choice. Manchester wanted AAA from me while Birmingham were content with me getting ABB; there is no way I was going to have AAA / AABB and AAA as my two choices as that would be far too risky. I had to have some sort of safety net in case my A2 results went belly’s up.
Reply 87
cricketmaestro123
Thanks for everyone's input on this - I can say I am from the UK and I probably do wish to work in London after I graduate so after viewing the uni's accessing a series of other factors such as cost of living, distance from home and the ease of getting there, reputation, flexibility of modules....... I've gone for Nottingham as my firm and Birmingham as my second. So it was a toss up between Birmingham and Manchester for the backup choice. Manchester wanted AAA from me while Birmingham were content with me getting ABB; there is no way I was going to have AAA / AABB and AAA as my two choices as that would be far too risky. I had to have some sort of safety net in case my A2 results went belly’s up.

I think you made the best choice :biggrin:
Reply 88
well I am a senior and I am studying in Turkey. I also got similar offers from both Manchester and Nottingham for the management course for the year 2009-2010 and I visited both of them but still having problems. Nottingham has a really WONDERFUL campus whereas Manchester is a city university buildings and no campus. But Manchester does have a better reputation and world ranking so that is the only thing that makes me think one more time. If the ranking in Economics is higher for Nottingham do not even think go!
Reply 89
hey i have to choose between manchester and nottingham for my firm choice....I wish to persue finance and management[undergraduate]...do u knw which one would be better????i thought the campus university would be better than the city one.However, the manchester buisness school has a higher business reputation than nottingham.....which one would be the best choice??????
With universities like this it doesn't really matter. Different league tables have different results. They are both well established universities with good employer links. An employer is not going to discriminate between these two. If it was Oxford v Nottingham then it would be more clear cut, but both of these are good, neither are top tier, neither are ex polys, so I'd base your decision on other factors (eg where you want to live, how you feel about the campus/city etc)
Reply 91
Does anyone know which would be better for philosophy? Bit stuck
Reply 92
Remember, employers do not view university rankings with anywhere near the same importance as applicants do. Go where you think you'll be happiest, and for the course that interests you most.
Original post by v2006
dude Nottingham economics is always ranked in the top 5 for economics, whereas Manchester has never ever been top 15.

In which ranking is University of Nottingham ranked in the top 5 for economics? Please give me the link. Thank you.
Reply 94
Having a hard time deciding between Exeter, Manchester or Nottingham. Doing Econs/Finance.

Exeter - offers a year's placement in industry, so quite an appealing option. Boring city on the other hand it seems.

Thoughts?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending