The Student Room Group

A2 Elizabeth marriage cw

I am doing a coursework for A2 history on Elizabeth I and the reasons why she did not get married.. I was wondering if anyone had any knowledge on what different historians argue the reason being?

I have some reasons but I dont know which historians to use for each of them, I'd be very grateful if anyone knew, preferably with sources which I could use to support it?

reasons:
conscious decision not to get married
psychological reasons
lack of right suitor
privy council disagreeing

any more reasons would be extremely appreciated..

Thank you very much.. :smile:
How about the legacy of her father and sister's marriages? I.e. the problems associated with marriage were fresh in her mind.
Reply 2
thanks, im going to somehow link that into the psychological problems, as they in a way caused a fear of marriage within her mind perhaps..
Ooooooh i did this at A level for my essay and i got an A!!!

The reasons you stated are the same as the ones I used.

I would put psychological reasons as the first section because it seems the least important and has the least historical debate. Just include things like her dalliance with Thomas Seymour and her witnessing of 5 of her fathers marriages, 3 of which she saw ended in death for the wife. As for the others its up to you to decide how important they are.

Some of the sources I used are

Marriage with My Kingdom: The Courtships of Queen Elizabeth I (Alison Plowden )
Elizabeth (David Starkey)
Elizabeth I -Profiles In Power (C Haigh)

I cant remember the rest....if you want me too i can find it all at home (at uni at moment) let me know and i will message you x
Reply 4
She really loved Robert Dudley but could never marry him. Thus her heart was broken and she could never marry anyone else... haha.

Latest

Trending

Trending