The Student Room Group

Fusion - distance of approach

I'm doing supernovae for my A-level research project, meaning I need a section on fusion in stars. The idea is to use the electrical potential energy formula to work out how much kinetic energy hydrogen nuclei need to overcome the repulsion.

However I can't find out anywhere how close the nuclei have to get to have the nuclear binding force "take over". Am I right in thinking the nuclei just have to get close enough (as long as they hit head on) to fuse together? If so, are there any "reputable" sources from which I could take the distance they have to get from?
Afraid I can't help but hypothetically wouldn't you need some expression for the strong and electrostatic forces at equilibrium? Sounds intense.
Reply 2
For two nuclei to undergo fusion, they must come together to within the range of the nuclear force, typically of the order of 2 x 10^(-15) m.
Source: University Physics (12th Edition) - Young and Freedman
Reply 3
Lusus Naturae
For two nuclei to undergo fusion, they must come together to within the range of the nuclear force, typically of the order of 2 x 10^(-15) m.
Source: University Physics (12th Edition) - Young and Freedman

Thanks so much. Perfect.
Reply 4
If you want a few bonus points for terminology, 2 x 10^(-15)m, is also known as 2 femtometers (fm). :P
Reply 5
or 2 fermis if you want even more

Latest