The Student Room Group

Kpmg or Deutsche Bank?

Hi guys. I have a little problem as I can not decide which offer to take and I was hoping if there is anyone that could give me some advice.

Well I have an offer from deutsche bank in Finance division, the roles seem really good and the people I met were really nice too. Then just today I got an email from KPMG saying I got through Audit interview too, however the only problem is that they are fully booked in my chosen location and I will need to choose Audit somewhere else (but that isn't a really big deal to me). Well an Auditor just seems like a more respected career than perhaps someone working in finance. But I think the roles in finance may suit me better. So I am having a slight trouble choosing even though I am leaning towards Finance a bit.

I was hoping anyone could give me advice on which one is better in a long run perhaps or which one am I more likely to get a graduate job offer with?

Many Thanks

Scroll to see replies

are you a grad? (i know this may sound like a stupid question lol but i'm just asking to make sure)

no doubt that 99% of people here will say DB>KPMG as its a a IB etc, but i have worked at KPMG and SERIOUSLY it is the most fun i have ever had, yes the ACA exams are the tough parts but just generally the people here are so good (don't know whether DB will be the same but thats for you to decide)

in terms of big4 i would say KPMG is the fastest rising with the highest increase in ftse100 clients and revenues etc, but DB is a attractive alternative

depends ultimately on what job you enjoy more, i can rant on about how AUDIT IS ACTUALLY FUN!!! when you have the right people working with you, but if you enjoy the finance role more then defo go for that - you will probably be doing it for the rest of your life so make the right choice :smile:
im looking to go into big4 but still would chose db over kpmg, it just depends on what you value more, rep of company over a job you may enjoy (even db finance sounds good)...plus pay will be alot more and you will most probably still be studying for a qualification (cima).
My suggestion: go for the big4 audit job. The pay will not be as good, but you will gain invaluable experience and an extremely highly regarded qualification (ACA). On qualification you are virtually guaranteed a job anywhere you want, including finance at an investment bank. Basically the big4 training is unparalleled, and having the ACA gives you a LOT of options.
mendelssohn
My suggestion: go for the big4 audit job. The pay will not be as good, but you will gain invaluable experience and an extremely highly regarded qualification (ACA). On qualification you are virtually guaranteed a job anywhere you want, including finance at an investment bank. Basically the big4 training is unparalleled, and having the ACA gives you a LOT of options.

nail on the head, audit seriously (if working with the right people) is a blast, there are times when of course you are working with idiots (in the sense you don't have much fun) but generally audit is actually a really fun and exciting thing to do

you get an ACA at the end of it so that is another HUGE plus, but yes the pay may be limited when compared to DB probably (well at least until you gain you become certified)

let us know which one you choose lol, would be nice to know :smile:
Reply 5
Thanks a lot for your replies.

Ya I guess an opportunity to qualify for the ACA with Audit is a big plus but when I talked to the recent grads in DB finance, he said there is an opportunity with Finacne to qualify for the ACA too as well as CIMA and some other qualification I can not remember.

I have to admit, I think I will take up the DB offer because at the end of the day they are an Investment bank so pay is better and I heard how later on, there is a chance to move to a front office role. I heard its not very common and you have to be very good at what you do, but its worth a shot :biggrin:.

But that's all given I get a job offer afterwards as this is just an internship. Hehe I just like looking at things in a long run.
Reply 6
we always knew you were going to take up the db offer
Reply 7
Hehe. ya I have to admit I was leaning towards DB but since there were 2 different offers on the table, it always makes you think twice about your decision. I hope I made the right choice.
Reply 8
Well, you are gonna be a millionaire if thats what makes you happy.
uh not really, if he is working in back office...
you certainly wont be a millionaire working in finance, but throughout ur career your likely be to earning 15-20% more than big4 (based on rbs finance dept. db wud be similar/bit more).
...until partner level in big4.
you realise you can also reach as high levels at IB's, just measured on a different scale. The cream always rises to the top!
Reply 13
Lol ya I hope I can make good money. I was really suprised with their working hours though, 8-6 for an intern. Not sure if that is standard but seemed quite long for me, but then again I guess its an IB working hours. So can't expect them to nice and sweet.
Reply 14
dam 8-6 is looong
8-6 is not very long at all in IB world...
Reply 16
Yeah, that sounds like pretty decent hours for that kind of work. A Big 4 employee will be working longer than that in the busy season.
Reply 17
On the contract they say, I may occasionaly be asked to work weekends too. How likely do you think it is though for an intern to be asked that?
Reply 18
On the contract they say, I may occasionaly be asked to work weekends too. How likely do you think it is though for an intern to be asked that?

If DB are not offering you an ACA training scheme (I assume they don't), then I would seriously consider taking the KPMG offer - in the long run it will serve you well.

I've worked in a bank (though not in finance and only as an intern) and the big 4 and you will probably enjoy what ever you do

BUT to answer your earlier question

Probably not very often in Finance, but seriously, if you are worry about 8-6 and working weekends then think very carefully about taking a job in an investment bank, if the stated hours are 8-6, then you are looking at doing more than that on some days.
Reply 19
Well when I talked to one of the recent graduates in the division, he said there is an opportunity to do ACA if I wish.
As for the working hours, to be totally honest, I reckon it seems quite long to me just because I have never worked such long hours. But I know for a fact that in an IB, you have to do that and I am quite sure, once I do a couple of days, I will be able to get used to it. I hope so anyway :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending