The Student Room Group

A Level dilemma

I'm having some trouble choosing A level options for september.
I've decided that I'm going to do Maths, Further Maths, French and Spanish, but have the opportunity to study 5 AS subjects. For the last one, I'm torn between Business Studies, History and Philosophy & Ethics. For a bit of background, I'd like to go to a good uni, but am not sure what I'd like to study. I've been told that Oxbridge and similar unis consider Business Studies a 'soft' subject, so I'm not sure about that. I don't know what Oxbridge and the like make of Philosophy & Ethics - do they consider that 'soft' too?

Does anybody have any advice? If you do one of those three subjects it'd be great just to know what you think of it, or any other suggestions. Thanks =D
Business Studies, I've been told, is not only looked badly upon but is also very boring. And anyway, if you ever really did want to go into business, it's not as though having an A-level in Business Studies would help that much. So, since you're not, what's the point in taking it?

I'd say go for either History or Philosophy and Ethics. Between those two, I guess it's just whatever you enjoy most, since they're pretty well looked upon, especially History.
Reply 2
how about doing history then if u dont want to do a 'softy'. they all sound reasonable anyway along with ur other chosen subjects!
so no sciences then anyway?
maths is good especially if u enjoy it now,
Philosophy and Ethics is definitely not a "soft" subject, it's actually one of the harder A levels. I have an AS in this and I found it really challenging, it's just as valuable as any other A level. I hate the predjudice that people put on A level subjects, at the end of the day they are all just as difficult as each other although the skills required to pass them may be different. If you're looking for a wide range of A level's though, I would choose History.
Take physics you poof.
History is probably the best choice if your aiming for oxbridge.
There's no point whatsoever in doing a 5th subject. 4's plenty as it is, and a 5th won't put you at an advantage. You'd be better to concentrate on 4 subjects...one of my friends does 5 and she's struggling to juggle all 5 with extra-curricular stuff. Plus she has no frees.

But anyway, if you really want to do 5 subjects, I'd suggest History or Philosophy&Ethics. For History look at what part of history your school teaches for A-Level, and see whether it's a part you're intrested in studying. It's generally a really good subject to have that most universities like. As for Phil&Ethics, that's also a good subject.

However, I'd advise not to do Further Maths unless you want to do a maths course. You're obviously good at it, but FM isn't really necessary. Also, 2 languages...good to have, but again narrow your options slightly. You don't really need 2. So I'd say drop Further Maths or one of the languages, and do Hist or PhilEthics instead.
I don't know what Philosophy and Ethics is, but Philosophy AQA is what I do and it's not like, the best subject respect-wise but it's not as bad as Business, I don't think.

And do 5 subjects if you want, it really doesn't make any difference if you're good. You can do whatever you want as a 5th subject as well seeing as you're doing 4 REALLY good subjects.

Spanish is a really good subject to do at A level.
History.
Reply 9
Thanks =]
Reply 10
linderman88
whatever you do make sure that you don't take philosophy and ethics.

why do you say that?
This is a list of subjects which Cambridge suggest you don't do more than one out of (so for a 3 A-Level offer, 1 could be one, the others shouldn't be on the list):

http://www.cam.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/requirements/#course

Of the 4 subjects you mentioned, only Business Studies is on that list.
Reply 12
Philosophy and Ethics, I think, is just Religious Studies with certain module options. I did it to AS (OCR) and it was interesting but not amazingly so. I'd pick History (though I'm biased) which is marginally more traditional, more interesting, and at degree level links more closely to your languages (in a History degree you can do foreign language papers, and language degrees include some element of the country's history) but either will stand you in good stead.

Incidentally, if you're doing Maths and Further Maths but not Physics, and you might be thinking of a Maths degree, you should opt for as much Mechanics as possible - that's what Cambridge suggest.
Philosophy and Ethics is the new name for Religious Studies. I have an A level in Edexcel Religious Studies, but anyone taking it this year will have an A level in Philosophy and Ethics. This is not an easy A level and is definitely superior in terms of respect, to Business Studies, which I also took. If you want to take a Business-related subject, take Economics! I did not take History but I'd say it's either on a par with, or just above Religious Studies. I would agree that unless you want to take a Maths course, there is no point in Further Maths and I would also agree that you only need one language too. Finally I agree that five subjects is really not necessary. If I was you and wanted to keep my options open, I would take: Maths, Spanish or French, Economics and History or Religious Studies. This would be a good balance of subjects, perfect for keeping your options open as they are all so different; you could go into all sorts of areas with this, such as Languages, Law, Philosophy, Mathematics, English, Economics, Business etc. Private message me if you need any more help! Tommy
Reply 14
Tommy The Cat
I would agree that unless you want to take a Maths course, there is no point in Further Maths

Not true. It's excellent for the three sciences, Computer Science, Economics, Engineering etc., and it's a respected academic subject for almost any other degree.
rkd
Not true. It's excellent for the three sciences, Computer Science, Economics, Engineering etc., and it's a respected academic subject for almost any other degree.

Yeah I understand it's a respected subject but the OP says they are not sure what they want to study at university. That's why I'm suggesting not to take Further Maths and two languages. There is no mention of them wanting to do any of the subjects you mention. Do you not think if the OP wants to keep their options open it would be best to take Maths, a language, an essay-based subject and say, Economics for example, rather than two languages and two Maths subjects? I don't know, I'm just throwing my suggestions around! Tommy
Reply 16
Tommy The Cat
Yeah I understand it's a respected subject but the OP says they are not sure what they want to study at university. That's why I'm suggesting not to take Further Maths and two languages. There is no mention of them wanting to do any of the subjects you mention. Do you not think if the OP wants to keep their options open it would be best to take Maths, a language, an essay-based subject and say, Economics for example, rather than two languages and two Maths subjects? I don't know, I'm just throwing my suggestions around! Tommy

Two languages, maybe not, but arguably Further Maths keeps options such as Maths, Computer Science or Economics open - I took FM mainly so that I had the option of doing Oxbridge Maths, which basically requires FM if you're able to take it. You're right about the languages, though - maybe English Lit instead, which would keep an English degree open and help with a History or language one? Or a science?

Latest