The Student Room Group

Advanced Higher Question

Hey, basically for the last couple of years I've decided I'd like to do medicine. I'm in 5th year right now at school and took the subjects I need, but I've really messed up music. Mid-november I find out that my drum teacher has just left, and they didn't get us another one til mid-January. Anyway, my music exam is in three weeks and I still have 2 drum pieces to learn, and I only have one more drum lesson beforehand.

My question is, if I dropped out of music or failed it, but got got my other highers, and then took three Advanced highers next year and passed them with A's, would universities look past the fact I only had 4 highers?

i don't think do really. offers for scottish students (at scottish unis in particular) are based on your highers. you'd need to phone the unis to check really though.
Reply 2
Sorry to hear about your drum teacher.

Are you sure that you will fail music because of your drum teacher? I think you should speak to someone in your music department about the problem and see what they have to say. There may be other options such as private tuition or extra classes. Is this exam a prelim or final exam?

If you feel that you do need to drop it - which is advisable if you are sure you will fail - there is a possibility of taking up another higher, despite this late stage. You still have 3 months until the higher exams and you could try phoning around local colleges (I doubt your school would let you take up a new subject as 'Guidance' always gets in the way) and see if they would accept you as a private candidate for a relatively easy higher such as Business Management, Psychology...(depending on where your strengths lie?) An 'easy' 5th higher will do no harm if you feel confident enough with independent learning.

As for doing 4 highers and then 3 advanced highers, this is also an option however, remember that it is only really English unis and Glasgow that place conditions on Advanced Highers. If you apply to Scottish unis , the Higher grades will be the main focus.

I'm also applying to medicine and have been in a kind of similarish situation.

Feel free to PM.
Yeah, most Scottish unis don't take AHs into consideration. If you wouldn't mind studying in England, then I'm sure having 3 As at Advanced Higher will put you in good stead.

...but, and I'm not challenging your intellect here, but do you realise just HOW HARD it is to get AAA at Advanced Higher level? :p: It's considerably harder than AAA at A-level, which is why nowadays there are some super geeks in England taking 4 A-levels and getting straight AAAA in them!

It's up to you, but don't give up hope on your music exam. Just keep on practising those drums until your parents go crazy :smile:
Reply 4
If you got your school to explain the circumstances of the 4 highers, and got AAAA, they may consider you, on a conditional.

Phone round all the unis and check.

Could you keep doing with music, and then maybe apply for an appeal to get a grade you deserve?

I do higher music just now, and even if you screw up your drum performance a bit, you won't lose it totally. It's 40% listening, 30% on each instrument, so you have a pretty good chance of getting at least a B!
Thanks for the advise =]

I've talked to my music department again and they've given me more drum lessons til the exams. But I'm gonna give it my best shot and not just give up.

BlueRoses_ I was trying to save my B for english, because english is something that I just don't get better in if you know what I mean? There's no way I'm going to get A's for the essay writing part... but you never know lol

You're probably right about the advanced highers =/
Reply 6
Aww English isn't so bad..!

Advanced Highers are actually a LOT of work. I didn't think they would be, and I only do two (bio and chem) and that's hard enough with the investigations, and you are supposed to do a lot of work in your free time as well!

I would not like the expectations of 3 As on me this year at all!

Latest

Trending

Trending