Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Fainting - due to period?

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    The only times I've ever fainted were due to pain - not on my period though, but I've felt like maybe it could happen once or twice.

So it depends on the pain, I think. It doesn't necessarily mean that you're anaemic or anything though a definite possibility.

When I have passed out (and it's only happened twice), once was ironically outside my doctor's surgery ^^ I have a ganglion cyst on my wrist which he tried to encourage to settle down a bit, which involved squeezing. I started feeling hot and sweaty, sort of a dull noise in my ears, and on the way out of the doctor's surgery everything went a bit black and hazy. Was with my dad (good job too or it would've hurt a lot more) and I think I managed to form the words "I can't..." before he caught me, heh

So there was a bit of a delayed reaction with that one.. the other time I passed out sort of mid-pain.

Anyway! I digress. It's worth going to the doctor's to be sure (though maybe you won't be anaemic if you're not on your period...).
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I've not actually passed out, but i've been close to passing out...legs like jelly, going pale and shaky. It is the worst feeling ever Hope you're feeling a bit better now xx
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by welshprincess)
    I've not actually passed out, but i've been close to passing out...legs like jelly, going pale and shaky. It is the worst feeling ever Hope you're feeling a bit better now xx
    Same. It was horrible.

But then again I was quite heavy, was working a 9 hour shift and hadn't drunk anything.

But yeah, hope you're feeling better

Yeah it happens. Drink lots of fluids. I had to go to A&E. Stupid periods.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Take iron tablets.

And also eat spinach.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Iron Rich Foods
    Foods that are a good source of iron include:

* liver
    * lean red meats, including beef, pork, lamb
    * seafood, such as oysters, clams, tuna, salmon, and shrimp, etc.
    * beans, including kidney, lima, navy, black, pinto, soy beans, and lentils
    * iron fortified whole grains, including cereals, breads, rice, and pasta
    * greens, including collard greens, kale, mustard greens, spinach, and turnip greens
    * tofu
    * vegetables, including broccoli, swiss chard, asparagus, parsley, watercress, brussel sprouts
    * chicken and turkey
    * blackstrap molasses
    * nuts
    * egg yolks
    * dried fruits, such as raisins, prunes, dates and apricots
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I used to suffer from horrible periods and PMT, now I have a progesterone (sp?) rod in my arm which releases the hormone daily - I don't have periods any more (obviously will have to stop at some point but at the moment I'm loving it!)
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    No its not normal to be passing out on your period. If you are feeling week and elly like it means that your iron levels are low and that you may be anaemic. Visit a doctor if you pass out from period pain. This is NOT normal. You need to up your iron intake if you are passing out.

Its normal to pass out with pain if your shot but not from periods.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ellie_auk)
    Its normal to pass out with pain if your shot but not from periods.
    Right, so being shot is the only possible scenario for passing out from pain? -_- I've had two very different, separate episodes which led to me fainting. Pain can cause fainting. It doesn't have to be life-threatening pain either.

Just .. you don't need to be so absolutely certain that every single person here is anaemic because they passed out. Things affect people differently - some people can and do pass out from the pain of it ALONE - it's not always about low iron.

http://www.studenthealth.co.uk/advic...sp?adviceID=65

All you need to do is google period pain and fainting and you can see that it is quite a common symptom.

Everyone suffers differently. I have to take a day off from work every month - it's not fun, but thankfully, through working Saturdays, I can make a flexible day off.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I have to spend a day in bed a month because of my periods. Its hardly like i got the easy option. I get pains in three areas that standard pain killers dont work on.

Passing out is usually caused by low iron intake and it most people upped it theyd find their period improve no end.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I've been tested for anemia and the docs say its definitely not that.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    oooo ouch never happened to me hope it never does well its properly just the pain, just remember to eat loads of food and chocolate can help dark choc though before it can release the endrophains or something like that which might make the pain feel less there. Sorry best i could do

off topic: Zoedotdot try and get an appointment with the nurse if your docs a complete a.hole which he sounds like he is. i would come back and say

'OI NO UTERUES, NO WOMB, NO OPINION LIKE THAT YOU LEARN TO DEAL WITH IT OR NO OPINION' its what i do to my bro/dad and my bf although he normally provides me with chocolate although i would shout that to him and i think ive done it a mate just calmer.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    i would also suggest you go to the doctor - just in case
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    On a similar note, is it normal to kind of lose feeling in your finger/toes/legs while on your period? Should I complain to my doctor? My mother thinks I'm pinching nerves while sleeping but it happens when I'm completely awake.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Before I was on the pill I rather consistently passed out from my period!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I regularly get bad period pains and often used to faint. It's not necessarily anaemia, although it's important to keep eating to keep your blood sugar up and also drinking to get enough fluids. Women's brains are designed to cope with a lot of pain (we have to give birth...ow), but it takes a lot of energy to do so. I'd recommend going to the doctor, whether you think it's anaemia or not, as they can prescibe painkillers that also help stop you bleeding so heavily.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Can say its never happened to me, though the pain in the first few days sometimes means im stuck in bed for moving is painful...
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Happens to me all the time. :rolleyes:

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: February 9, 2008
New on TSR

What is sixth form like?

Share your story!

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.