The Student Room Group

WHSmith

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
I find that the colleagues are the best thing,

i work full days on saturday and sunday

8.30-5.30 and then 10-4
Reply 81
I wanna leave my job, today. wth do i say to my manager and supevisor?
Reply 82
M.A.H
I wanna leave my job, today. wth do i say to my manager and supevisor?

I think you have to give them at least a week's notice.
Reply 83
I've found out the pay for 18+ is £5.13 :s: this true??!
Reply 84
I believe that it is, i think it goes higher than that when you get to 21 as well
Beckieee
I've found out the pay for 18+ is £5.13 :s: this true??!

Yep, that's what I get.
Reply 86
Yikes, i thought it would be a bit better, i get 4.81 already. I know people who work at other retail shops, such as a couple who work at greggs, and get way over £6

:frown:
Reply 87

I'm on £5.60 plus a quid or so more per hour at the weekend. Got double time on Bank Hols =]
Reply 88
Where do you work to get that sort of money at Smiths or are you higher up e.g. supervisor
Reply 89
I've never got double time on bank holidays, it used to be time and a half then we got a letter saying they would give us a day off in lieu if we work bank hols but no extra money. Same for anyone else?
Dani1989
I've never got double time on bank holidays, it used to be time and a half then we got a letter saying they would give us a day off in lieu if we work bank hols but no extra money. Same for anyone else?

They said they'd do that when I did Boxing Day, but since it's so bloody hard to actually manage to get a day off my boss just paid me double time when I worked last monday. Not bad at all :biggrin:
Reply 91
I get £4.81 but I have a friend who has had his probationary period extended and he's been working there since around November or December and is on £4.21 still. I understand the meaning of what a probationary period is, but he can't be that unsuitable for his job, as he gets the majority of the overtime.

Being a student like I am, except in high school and not in sixth form, he has exams to study for all the same. Yet during the Easter holidays, they had him in from Monday to Saturday. A six day week - that's more than any other employee works there when they do full time! And yet they have the nerve to pay him pennies and not even take him off probationary...

Sometimes I think our store would go bust without him. Not to mention our other employees who nearly a year into the job still don't know how to do a Lotto Hotpicks or how to sign off her till.
Sometimes you have to bug the supervisor until you get the right pay. It feels bad but everyone should get what they're due.

Is anyone else going mad about the new policy where we're not allowed to offer a bag? I get people who stare at me blankly for two minutes until I end up offering them a bag, which is annoying!
Reply 93
Introspectre
Sometimes you have to bug the supervisor until you get the right pay. It feels bad but everyone should get what they're due.

Is anyone else going mad about the new policy where we're not allowed to offer a bag? I get people you stare at me blankly for two minutes until I end up offering them a bag, which is annoying!

hahaha so glad i quit
Haha, lucky you! :biggrin:
Reply 95
Introspectre

Is anyone else going mad about the new policy where we're not allowed to offer a bag? I get people who stare at me blankly for two minutes until I end up offering them a bag, which is annoying!

I haven't heard about this yet suprisingly.

My store give me loads of overtime, which is good. My core hours are just saturday 11.45-5.30 but i also do sundays 10.30-4.30, and i did today (day+a paid day off? i think) and i'm working tomorrow aswell. I know the reason why though is because i'm one of two people left under 18 so they can save money by having me in and they know i won't say no (need the moneeyyy)

My boss has just sent an email aswell about me getting a transfer :biggrin: I just hope when i get there though i'm not seen as a newbie as i will have actually been as smiths 2 years, even if not at that store.
Beckieee
I haven't heard about this yet suprisingly.

My store give me loads of overtime, which is good. My core hours are just saturday 11.45-5.30 but i also do sundays 10.30-4.30, and i did today (day+a paid day off? i think) and i'm working tomorrow aswell. I know the reason why though is because i'm one of two people left under 18 so they can save money by having me in and they know i won't say no (need the moneeyyy)

My boss has just sent an email aswell about me getting a transfer :biggrin: I just hope when i get there though i'm not seen as a newbie as i will have actually been as smiths 2 years, even if not at that store.

I get annoyed by overtime really, but that's because I always get dragged in when I have an exam the next (or even the same) day. Ack!

Oooh, where are you getting a transfer to?
I've got an interview tomorow and they said its gonna be a group one, what should i expect..HELP PLEASE!:smile:
SuperSweet
I've got an interview tomorow and they said its gonna be a group one, what should i expect..HELP PLEASE!:smile:

A group one? Interesting! If it's in a group just be yourself and try to shine above everyone else. Enthusiasm is the key - just be very smiley and confident! Best of luck! :biggrin:
Reply 99
Introspectre
I get annoyed by overtime really, but that's because I always get dragged in when I have an exam the next (or even the same) day. Ack!

Oooh, where are you getting a transfer to?

yeah i'm working 2 days either side of my general studies exam haha

Manchester :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending