The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

rkd
European Law - you have an essay subject (Eng Lit), a logical subject (Maths) and a language, should be fine
Economics - you should definitely look at Further Maths, especially if you're considering Cambridge
Politics - should be fine, although Further Maths might help with Oxford PPE (and History, obviously, if you want to go for Hist & Pol - Oxbridge don't offer straight Politics)
Maths - you'll need Further Maths if it's offered, but with that and Physics (or Mechanics modules) you'll be fine
Science - a science and Maths should be sufficient, but I suspect a lot of applicants - especially for Cam NatSci - will do more than one science
English - English Lit is really all you need

Overall, it looks like your best bet is to switch out one language for Further Maths. This won't close any options - you can get accepted to read languages with just one language at A2, and I got accepted for History with History, Lit, Maths and further Maths - and it will keep Econ, Maths and science subjects open. It's also not quite as much work, as Maths and Further Maths are fairly closely connected.

This is quite random but I have just looked at your academic profile and am absolutely shocked that you have done 7AS'!!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek: How on earth did you manage all of that!!!
Shrayans
If that is the case, what subjects will you be doing, and what will your ambition be from those? Just to clarify..

Well, I'm more into Spanish at the moment anyway and so will be more enthusiastic to look up extra vocabulary and actually do literary reading that surpasses the A Level standard. If I take the AEA as well then I'll have no need to take French as an entirely separate subject, I feel I know enough to get by anyway.

Then, that narrows down my choices by one and leaves me with English Literature, Spanish (+AEA), Maths and Physics. I think enough people have said that five wouldn't be impossible to persuade me to do it. However, I've received differing views on whether Chemistry or Further Maths would be more useful and/or easier considering I'm taking five? It should be noted that I'm taking Additional Maths at th every minute and took my GCSE (A*) a year early but I don't really see myself as a number sort of person.

Also, will the AEA still exist by the time I start A Levels next year and are they taken at the end of Year 13? I seem to be getting mixed feedback on this too. I've read about 'Stretch and Challenge' - does this replace AEA entirely?

Sorry to bombard you all with questions but you have been so helpful that I feel I may soon be reaching a decision. :smile:
Reply 42
spanglishgal
This is quite random but I have just looked at your academic profile and am absolutely shocked that you have done 7AS'!!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek: How on earth did you manage all of that!!!

Critical Thinking was self-taught (i.e. I didn't do much work for it), Further Maths was/is about an hour and a half a week, I did a module of Religious Studies in year 11 and did English Lit after school twice a week. It all fits in quite well :p:
Reply 43
Fresh Idea
Then, that narrows down my choices by one and leaves me with English Literature, Spanish (+AEA), Maths and Physics. I think enough people have said that five wouldn't be impossible to persuade me to do it. However, I've received differing views on whether Chemistry or Further Maths would be more useful and/or easier considering I'm taking five? It should be noted that I'm taking Additional Maths at th every minute and took my GCSE (A*) a year early but I don't really see myself as a number sort of person.

Also, will the AEA still exist by the time I start A Levels next year and are they taken at the end of Year 13? I seem to be getting mixed feedback on this too. I've read about 'Stretch and Challenge' - does this replace AEA entirely?

I can't speak on whether Chemistry and Further Maths would be easier, since I don't take Chem - but consider that Further Maths A2 could be made up of Further Pure 1 and 2, Mechanics 1 and 2, Decision 1 and 2. That means that four of your modules would be ones that some people will do as their normal A-level Maths applied modules. I'd also like to note that I got an A* in Maths GCSE after two years, didn't do Additional Maths and then got over 95% in Further Maths AS.

AEAs are taken at the end of Year 13, yes, and I haven't heard anything about them being phased out - from what I've just googled about "Stretch and Challenge", one proposal for it seems to basically just be merging AEA in as a section of the A2 paper, so either way you'll have the opportunity.
Reply 44
ommmgg completely forgot about AEA's! Is anyone doing one in geography???
rkd
Critical Thinking was self-taught (i.e. I didn't do much work for it), Further Maths was/is about an hour and a half a week, I did a module of Religious Studies in year 11 and did English Lit after school twice a week. It all fits in quite well :p:

I see. But still that is darn impressive!! Congrats, you must be a super genius!
Reply 46
spanglishgal
I see. But still that is darn impressive!! Congrats, you must be a super genius!

yeah wow that is v.impressive! I dont really get whyyy you bothered tho unless you just love to learn.. like a lot? or is it to just like super super garuntee an oxbridge place?
Thanks very much for your help, everybody! :smile:
Reply 48
Gracie89
yeah wow that is v.impressive! I dont really get whyyy you bothered tho unless you just love to learn.. like a lot? or is it to just like super super garuntee an oxbridge place?

Maths, History and English Lit I just like, Religious Studies I'd already done a third of it so it seemed to make sense to carry on, Law was because I considered being a lawyer:rolleyes: , Further Maths because I considered being a mathematician (plus it's fun :cool: ), and Critical Thinking the school bullied me into doing. :p:
yeah....chillaxin is all I do these days! :biggrin:
Reply 50
In my opinion if you're going for arts subjects at uni, you don't need to take 5 AS levels, as you can just as easily do extracurricular artsy stuff instead. Only do 5 if you're unsure what to do at uni and need to keep your options open, or if you want to do a science subject and want to do further maths - if you're good at maths further maths won't be too bad.
spanglishgal

someone I know does 9...

granted 2 of them are languages he doesn't need lessons for, and music... well he's like diploma level in 2 or 3 instruments so doesnt really need proper lessons for that either.
SouthernFreerider
someone I know does 9...

granted 2 of them are languages he doesn't need lessons for, and music... well he's like diploma level in 2 or 3 instruments so doesnt really need proper lessons for that either.

9!!! 9!!! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: Thats three times the amount you need to get into uni, plus they say one a level is equal to 3/4 gcse's so hes like doing 27/36 GCSE's!! Why do they do that many? Is there any need to or does he just really love all the subjects.
spanglishgal
9!!! 9!!! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: Thats three times the amount you need to get into uni, plus they say one a level is equal to 3/4 gcse's so hes like doing 27/36 GCSE's!! Why do they do that many? Is there any need to or does he just really love all the subjects.

he loves languages and music and stuff, so he decided to do like french, korean, chinese and some other language lol, all on top of english.

he did all the other languages just because he could and likes languages.

no point in him taking lessons in languages he's nearly fluent, so at school he picks like 5 other haha.
What the hell. Is he like defo going to Oxbridge then? Surely they can't reject someone if he is that good... but you never know, hopefully he doesn't do a bad interview...
Does he have time to do anything else? If he doesn't I don't think it is worth it. You should have a balanced life, IMO.
well I was going to take 5 but then it's like, what is the point???Oxbridge are looking for stuff other than academic brilliance like work experience and your extra-curriculars and things - they want well-rounded people who are smart but not so smart and academic they have no personality or other interests and things. Also, they like high grades mroe than many subjects, so you might want to concentrate on taking things you know you'll get great grades on and not spread yourself too thinly. Or take all 5 then you can always drop one!good luck!
smileitcouldbeworse
well I was going to take 5 but then it's like, what is the point???Oxbridge are looking for stuff other than academic brilliance like work experience and your extra-curriculars and things - they want well-rounded people who are smart but not so smart and academic they have no personality or other interests and things. Also, they like high grades mroe than many subjects, so you might want to concentrate on taking things you know you'll get great grades on and not spread yourself too thinly. Or take all 5 then you can always drop one!good luck!

Actually I think you are wrong there, I don't think they care about anything besides academics and consider you only on your academic ability, so really, its the other way round. They probably want to see you focusing on your subject and loads of relevant work experience and extra reading which is a must. Only relevant extras are considered, and they don't seem to care how social or well balanced your life is.
You are right in the sense that they want very high grades, and yes that is very crucial when applying there.
Oh I don't know...my headteacher was interviewing me the other day, and apparently when his neice had her interview at cambrdige they were really interested in her working at a library for two years, and she reckoned thats one of the main things that made her stand out (she got in), but yeah obviously academics IS still the main thing, they just wouldn't like it to be the ONLY thing
Reply 58
They say that those who can only study three are at no disadvantage, but since you can more, as long as you'll be alright, do as much as you can, only one chance at this thing we call life!
Reply 59
Yeah, oxbridge doesn't care about how many A levels you take as long as you;'re good at them and passionate about the subject you want to study at uni. further maths would be the easy option. i do maths and further maths and maths at AS was like doing half an a level (compared to something like history which involves far more wider reading)...further maths is quite a lot harder than maths though.

Latest