The Student Room Group
Talk about osmosis, how the findings can be applicable to the outside world etc
Reply 2
Thanks!!! I did my planning + some of the background information. i got a 6/7 out of 8, but iwnat to try for an 8. My friend told me to add some background info, i did still its a 6/7. Any ideas how to get an 8?
is this gcse work??

Yeah add background info, eg the applications as mentioned earlier, how excess or too little water effects potatoes. Talk about the biochemistry maybe?? Do a diagram? What is out of 8??? the planning section??

if so, maybe try and put some justifications for use of your equipment, talk about variables (use words like reliability, external validity..internal validity..all that jazz).
Reply 4
haha I did this last year, just draw a simple diagram of osmosis, explain the terms - such as partially permeable membrane, exosmosis, endomosis etc etc...
get the criteria of the internet/shool for your coursework and follow it right through. If it's the last points your stuck on, rephrase wikipedia.
Reply 6
whats the investigation? if its what i think it is and your changing the concentration of sucrose solution then talk about the potato being hypotonic in the lower concentrations and hypertonic in the higher concentrations. and throw in fancy words like poolah said. How about talking about the cells being turgid and flaccid?? stuff like that.
define osmosis, relate that to a potato cell, discuss potato cell anatomy, discuss hypotonic and hypertonic solutions etc etc
Reply 8
Its for A level!!! I had to hand it in today, i added more bits of info to it, and i m really hoping that I will do well!!!
Reply 9
Good luck.

I'm doing mine on a Catalase reaction and the background info was simply talking about enzymes and reaction conditions. :p: