The Student Room Group
Reply 1
In the answer, you see a (1-sinx) at the bottom, so does that give you any clues on how should go about it?
Reply 2
remember that

cos2x+sin2x=1 cos^2x + sin^2x = 1

That's all you need to know.
Reply 3
extend (1+sinx)/cosx = (1+sinx)(1-sinx)/cosx(1-sinx) = 1-sin^2x/cosx(1-sinx)=cos^2x/cosx(1-sinx)=cosx/1-sinx .... and we're home :wink:
Bilek
extend (1+sinx)/cosx = (1+sinx)(1-sinx)/cosx(1-sinx) = 1-sin^2x/cosx(1-sinx)=cos^2x/cosx(1-sinx)=cosx/1-sinx .... and we're home :wink:

Well that takes the challenge away for them :rolleyes:
Reply 5
Bilek

It's simpler to square, rearrange and then root....
Reply 6
oh yeah of course, thanks everyone i did them all but this one and just couldn't see what i was supposed to do lol.
Reply 7
IChem

All paths are good if they aim for the destination :wink:
Reply 8
indeed
Reply 9
IChem

If you want simple methods, surely it's much easier to start off from cos2(x)+sin2(x)=1, DOTS, and cross divide? Though perhaps not quite as easy to spot.

ColinOfEdinburgh
Well that takes the challenge away for them :rolleyes:

Exactly.

Bilek

Please see this thread. The general concensus reached was that full solutions should not be given unless specfically asked for, or the OP has been struggling for a long time (with hints) and still hasn't got it. The "ruling" by one of the mods is below:

insparato
So my ruling is please try and refrain from giving full solutions unless the OP after lots of help still hasn't grasped it. Might me a nice little thing to do when providing help is to tell the OP that if they do need more help or haven't understood something all they have to do is ask. I've read through all the 6 pages and i still stand by it as the best way to support peoples learning.
Reply 10
Understood :wink:
Reply 11
Thanks for stealing my learning bilek :mad:

lol :P

Latest