The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

Can I sawp to Law?

Anyone out there whose at Nottingham , do you think I have any chance of converting to a law course from Economics , as I have "had a change of heart" , I know this can happen at other universities and subjects, and I was just wondering if I have a chance of doing so as I would love to do Law. Thanks for any help :smile:

Dam...sawp=swap ....sorry ...anxious.

Scroll to see replies

Well, I'd say it's quite hard, because law's very popular too. I used to have a course mate on BA economics programme, but she preferred law suddenly after week one. She tried to switch to law school, but both school of economics and law school refused. In the end, she reapplied through UCAS and got an unconditional offer for Law from Bristol.
I just want to show you how difficult it is, but the whole thing could be different for you. I'd say the most important factor is how popular the course you want to switch to is and then your A-level results matter. Things could be different every year.
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
Reply 2
Law is very competitive here at Nottingham, and normally by January time all the offers for Home / EU students have been allocated. If you are, however, an international student I think that you can still apply.

If you are already at Nottingham, then you will need to go to Student Services on the Lower Ground floor of Portland Building and ask for a 'Course Transfer' form.

If you aren't already here, then you will need to contact Mr. Ian Hooker who is the head of Admissions at the Faculty of Law. He'll probably provide a lot more information regarding this issue.

Good luck! I'm assuming you already have AAA at A-level? If so, you might be asked to sit the LNAT. The website for that is: www.lnat.ac.uk
Reply 3
hi thanks for the responses, I'm still at college , have an offer for Economics at Nottingham , but wanted to know when i get there if i dont like will i be able to thanks for help!
Reply 4
If anything, I think you'll probably be better off trying before you get here to Nottingham. If you are sure you want to change to Law, then do it now. Don't wait to arrive here because amid the stress, which is Fresher's week, the last thing the admission tutors will want is a student who wants to change course. Even if there is a possibility for you to change to Law, you might just be turned away simply because it's too much hassle.
Reply 5
maybe when you get to nottingham you can change??
Reply 6
yeah iv got an offer for economics as well at nottingham. thinking of switching to eco with philosophy. or switch to politics.
Reply 7
Jibzy, your case is a lot easier to deal with.

You'll most probably be able to change to Economics with Philosophy as it's a lot less competitive and there might still be places available.
Reply 8
alles_nichts
Well, I'd say it's quite hard, because law's very popular too. I used to have a course mate on BA economics programme, but she preferred law suddenly after week one. She tried to switch to law school, but both school of economics and law school refused. In the end, she reapplied through UCAS and got an unconditional offer for Law from Bristol.
I just want to show you how difficult it is, but the whole thing could be different for you. I'd say the most important factor is how popular the course you want to switch to is and then your A-level results matter. Things could be different every year.

hey was just wondering, how does BA differ from BSC. is it the maths thingy?
how maths based was your own programme?
Reply 9
is your offer for econ and politics? joint degree?
Reply 10
Jibzy
hey was just wondering, how does BA differ from BSC. is it the maths thingy?
how maths based was your own programme?

BA is a Bachelor in Arts and therefore the modules are a lot less Mathematical. BSc is a Bachelor in Science and hence will have a lot more Mathematics and probably Econometrics. If you're planning to go work in the City after, the BSc is your best bet.
Reply 11
WokSz
Jibzy, your case is a lot easier to deal with.

You'll most probably be able to change to Economics with Philosophy as it's a lot less competitive and there might still be places available.

oh seen. will i need to write a fresh personal statement when i get there to show interest in philosophy as well?
and btw im guessing your studying economics presently? how are you finding it? year 1 2, or 3?
Reply 12
WokSz
BA is a Bachelor in Arts and therefore the modules are a lot less Mathematical. BSc is a Bachelor in Science and hence will have a lot more Mathematics and probably Econometrics. If you're planning to go work in the City after, the BSc is your best bet.

oh ok. but is having BA really a big hinderance? i mean could one still have access to some citi interships despite having BA. the impression i get is that the BSc ers would have an advantage given the maths required for finance. but what about other areas of IB that are less financial? HR?
Reply 13
I'm not, but I was looking into it when applying. I'm currently reading Engineering, but I have put in an official request to change to BA Ancient History.

One of my Hall mate is in year 1 of Economics and he has mixed feelings about the course. She doesn't really enjoy the Mathematical modules, but then again she's not very confident in Mathematics (Those are her words, not mine.) Overall, it's a very respected course and if you truly enjoy the subject then Nottingham is an excellent place to do it at. Economics at Nottingham is more well known than at Oxford, for crying out loud!
Reply 14
Jibzy
oh ok. but is having BA really a big hinderance? i mean could one still have access to some citi interships despite having BA. the impression i get is that the BSc ers would have an advantage given the maths required for finance. but what about other areas of IB that are less financial? HR?

Definitely! If you're not aiming for Front Office in an IB, then you're alright. Even then, you have a fair chance.
Reply 15
WokSz
I'm not, but I was looking into it when applying. I'm currently reading Engineering, but I have put in an official request to change to BA Ancient History.

One of my Hall mate is in year 1 of Economics and he has mixed feelings about the course. She doesn't really enjoy the Mathematical modules, but then again she's not very confident in Mathematics (Those are her words, not mine.) Overall, it's a very respected course and if you truly enjoy the subject then Nottingham is an excellent place to do it at. Economics at Nottingham is more well known than at Oxford, for crying out loud!

yeah im very interested in econs. but like your friend, im less confident in maths. i guess i may have to take a crash coursein mathematics this summer in preparation for economics at nottingham. bt im just hoping that not doing so well in the maths modules wont hinder one from getting a 1st class in the end.:redface:
btw did ur friend do maths at A-level? if she did then im very scared....as im not doing maths for a level.
yeah i hear nottinghams eco course was higher than oxford;s this year. i was like wow! it must the the teaching? quality of staff?
Reply 16
oxford does economics and management but not straight economics :biggrin:
Reply 17
i thought you need maths A-level to get into nottingham for economics?
Reply 18
yeah, but i would still feel iv won one over them lol haha.....
Reply 19
i know..Alevel maths is horrible. :frown: and that seriously put me off from applying economics!

Latest

Trending

Trending