The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Salford is the worst.

Manchester met only has a bad reputation for particular courses (and the people in them, known as "dossers")
however met has a great rep for its law and biomed course... so i would say met's better.

salford i suppose is OKAY for business info systems and grpahics but rally you can do alot better, plus the area is absoloutely disgusting, and the worst for crime.
Reply 2
Manchester met is a great uni with good facilities and is in a good area. Salford sucks!
yayy
Reply 4
I'd say Manchester Met.
yayy
Reply 6
Salford is not that bad area. It gets a very unfair reputation. If you live go to MMU you're likely to live in Victoria Park or Hulme/Moss Side both are just as bad as Salford.

For those who have said Salford is worse have you got evidence to back this up? Salford has lots of very very good departments and is also one of 20 universities to have a 6* RAE rated department.

It also has its bad departments but then so does MMU. If Salford is worse why do their graduates earn slightly more and the courses require slightly more entry points despite it not having that all important selling factor "Manchester" in its name?
Reply 7
frost105
Manchester met is a great uni with good facilities and is in a good area. Salford sucks!

If you want to get snobby about things Salford is technicaly a red brick university and had university status since 1967, MMU is an ex poly which has been a university since 1992. A good area? So Longsight is in a good area then where Elizbeth Gaskel building is? Its further to the city centre than Salford and is just as rough.
Reply 8
amazingtrade
If you want to get snobby about things Salford is technicaly a red brick university and had university status since 1967, MMU is an ex poly which has been a university since 1992. A good area? So Longsight is in a good area then where Elizbeth Gaskel building is? Its further to the city centre than Salford and is just as rough.

To be fair, Salford uni isn't actually in the heart of salford. It's actually close to, if not in the city centre. Don't know if anyone can confirm this but I'm sure I heard that somewhere. Obviously the areas surrounding manchester won't be very nice, like most cities, but from my experiance, the heart of the city itself before you get to the residential sections (where main uni buildings are) are fine. But yea, from someone who lives not too far from manchester, don't rent in longsight, unless you enjoy being knived for your pennies
Reply 9
bcr8iv
To be fair, Salford uni isn't actually in the heart of salford. It's actually close to, if not in the city centre. Don't know if anyone can confirm this but I'm sure I heard that somewhere. Obviously the areas surrounding manchester won't be very nice, like most cities, but from my experiance, the heart of the city itself before you get to the residential sections (where main uni buildings are) are fine. But yea, from someone who lives not too far from manchester, don't rent in longsight, unless you enjoy being knived for your pennies

It is actually closer to city centre than Manchester University, its 10 minutes walk from Havey Nics/The Shambles.

MMU will always be at an advantage because it has Manchester in its name, many people think Salford is either rougher than it is or "out in the sticks".
amazingtrade

I don't see much point in saying of look this university is a red brick and this one is an ex poly, so isn't as good.

Being 10 mins to one of the most highly universities, in Wales (don't know about UK) for business and visiting there often for school study sessions, I can honently say, I would not rated the Uni of Glamorgan any different from my other local, Cardiff.

Both have their good points, both have their bad. Its up to the person.
Reply 11
a_musical_gal
I don't see much point in saying of look this university is a red brick and this one is an ex poly, so isn't as good.

Being 10 mins to one of the most highly universities, in Wales (don't know about UK) for business and visiting there often for school study sessions, I can honently say, I would not rated the Uni of Glamorgan any different from my other local, Cardiff.

Both have their good points, both have their bad. Its up to the person.

Good. The question is, will potential employers? That's an important point I think.

I'm not saying people won't want to employ you or anything, just saying that if I had to choose between man met and salford, that would be the deciding factor. To me, salford might be the best, but if prospective bosses think different, then so will I!
Reply 12
The employment statistics s as far as MMU v Salford is concerned.

Average Graduate Salary:
Salford: £15,951
MMU: £15,770
Manchester:£17,623

Percentage of people within 6 months of graduating:

Salford:93.3%
MMU: 92.1%
Manchester: 92.9%

PS I am sorry about the red brick comment I should not have gone so low as one of the replies on this thread :tongue:
Reply 13
amazingtrade
The employment statistics s as far as MMU v Salford is concerned.

Average Graduate Salary:
Salford: £15,951
MMU: £15,770
Manchester:£17,623

Percentage of people within 6 months of graduating:

Salford:93.3%
MMU: 92.1%
Manchester: 92.9%

PS I am sorry about the red brick comment I should not have gone so low as one of the replies on this thread :tongue:

It would be interesting to check out other universities in terms of average graduate salary. Where did you get this info from?
Reply 14
bcr8iv
It would be interesting to check out other universities in terms of average graduate salary. Where did you get this info from?

The average salary is £16,300ish all the data is on The Sunday Times league tables. The average of £16,300 is skewed by the fact graduates of UOL universities such as LSE earn way above the norm with salaries like £24k.

Both Salford and MMU graduates earn quite a bit more than those from St Andrews :smile:

Source:
Worst 50
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,8405-1246650,00.html
Best 50
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,8405-1246744,00.html
Reply 15
Displaced.
Reply 16
lets a least not turn this thread into yet another expoly vs red brick arguement. Personally Id say they have a pretty equal reputation, and you should attend the open days and make a decision based on that.
Reply 17
No, to be fair, Man Met was good, but I found Salford much more original, Man Met just seemed to be a mass-produced conveyer belt, it had very good facilities and a lot to offer but it is too large and the staff were generally unhelpful. No personal touch.
Reply 18
I must say I found the majority of my lecturers very helpful, my supervisor was very nice, he was the typical physics geeky type but he was very friendly and even got up and gave me a chair every time I had to go his office.

I graduated with a 2:1, there were some minor problems but the majority of them were sorted, the person who runs my course was very dedicated and he believed in what he was doing.

As for crime there is a bit, but where MMU is not much better, crime has come down 63% in Salford between 2003-2004 as well. The campus itself is nice because it feels like you're on a real campus rather just a city. The great thing about that though is Manchester city centre is just 20 minutes walk away.

Salford are spending £100 million on new buildings. Salford is now ranked higher than MMU in all league tables, as much as I don't agree with them it must say somthing.

I do think MMU does have the better location but I think Salford is the better university, I choose Salford over the MMU as well even though MMU is just 15-20 minutes on the bus from me and Salford is 30-45 minutes on the bus.

A lot of it depends on the course as well, some courses at MMU will be better than Salford vice versa. Certainly the employment statistics look more favourable at Salford and it also has a lower drop out rate despite it being in a worse location.

Another thing all my lecturers and professors knew me by my first name. I think this quite impressive for a department which had more than 3000 students.
Reply 19
Quite - Good to meet a Salfordian statistician, to back up points, definately a graduate, but what would I know.

Anyway, Im from Grt Manch and I shouldn't really be biased, but having visited both, I am now, end of.

For the next 3 years of my HE career, I intend to spread the true picture of Salford University, it is underrated, but you will find, that when you speak to someone who actually knows what they're talking about, they agree Salford University has come a long way, and yes I do appreciate all the qualities of MMU, but like AT6758 or something has pointed out, Salford is, unarguably, ranked higher, and being that they are both practically located in the same place, Salford, in theory, should get more applicants, because it holds the same city appeal, but it is actually 'better' in Her Majesty's official records.

Latest

Trending

Trending